Ebay GSP Chargeback - Am I Covered By Seller Protection?

ImSpartacus
Contributor
Contributor

An eBay buyer has filed an 'unauthorised payment' chargeback with their bank for a purchase made from me in January. £195 has been debited from my Paypal account while Paypal 'review' the case. I have been told today on the phone that because it is a "big complicated case" (?!) this may take up to 80 days!! The item was sent via Royal Mail Special Delivery to the confirmed Seller Protection address via the eBay Global Shipping Program. The item has been delivered. I have provided proof that the item was posted and delivered to the buyer's confirmed "Seller Protection Eligible" Paypal address (RM proof of posting, RM tracking number showing delivery and GSP tracking number showing delivery) and I am therefore covered by Paypal's Seller Protection policy - yet I am being told by Paypal that the funds won't be released to me until the "bank has conducted an investigation"? and this will take up to 80 days. Apparently if the chargeback had been initiated through Paypal then they could release the funds straight away but because the chargeback has been initiated by the bank, Paypal and I have to wait. This just doesn't sound right - if I am covered then Paypal should just release the funds and recover them (or not) from the bank themselves, why am I taking the hit?

Also, should I contact the buyer or indeed report them to the police?

Any advice much appreciated.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ImSpartacus

Don't think the police in the UK would be interested in someone in another country to be honest.

All you can do is wait it out unfortunately.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

ImSpartacus
Contributor
Contributor

I know you're right. My husband once had the name, address and phone number of the guy who'd skimmed his credit card (somewhere in Kent I seem to remember) and the police weren't interested. It's an Irish address, so not too exotic, thought a crime number wouldn't do any harm and might add weight to the case? I know I'm living in dreamland ha ha...just feel a bit helpless in these situations 😞

@kernowlasswrote:

@ImSpartacus

Don't think the police in the UK would be interested in someone in another country to be honest.

All you can do is wait it out unfortunately.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.