shipping returned goods to china

Thrasherg
New Community Member

Ladies & gentlemen, I recently purchased 3 different flying drones from China, all 3 have no resemblance to the item described by the seller. All 3 sellers have agreed to provide a full refund if I return the items. The items cost $60, $80 and $150 each, I took them to the post office and they want $70 to ship each parcel with a tracking number to China!! I cant believe the seller was able to ship them to the USA with a tracking number for less than $10, feel I am being ripped off by the post office, obviously there is no sense in shipping the first 2 products back if the shipping will cost more than the refund, even the most expensive item really doesn't make too much sense, it will be nice to get $80 back but I believe all 3 blatantly misled me and see no reason why I should be so out of pocket. I have asked paypal for their help, but they have been very quiet so far. Has anyone found a way to send parts back to china with a tracking number for a reasonable cost?

Thanks for all/any suggestions.

Login to Me Too
95 REPLIES 95

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Unhappycamper3 

Paypal is doing exactly what it states in its guarantee.

Paypal state this >>
PayPal is not obliged to reimburse you for any costs that you incur to comply with any of PayPal’s requests for cooperation for the purpose of resolving the problem (including, without limitation, costs that you incur to return a SNAD item to the Payment Recipient or another party as PayPal requests), although sometimes it may reimburse these costs.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Unhappycamper3
Contributor
Contributor
PayPal success! I have to update my post because today PayPal gave me a full refund. I had paid $89 for an item, $10 of which was shipping. The seller told me to return it to China. So: (1) I went through the dispute resolution process and PayPal told me I would get a full refund once I shipped it to the seller, whose address was in China. The cost to ship to China is $66.00 (2) I searched and searched and found that I could contact customer service by using a contact us (maybe a help)button on the dispute resolution page. I asked again to be reimbursed my full purchase price, and said again I should not have to pay $66 to get $89. PayPal Said it wouldn’t reimburse me more than I had paid (which wasn’t what I was asking, and made no sense) but that PayPal would pay $30 in return shipping. (3) I asked for help again and got a different representative. I pointed out that if I did as they said, I would be out $36 and PayPal would be out $30 . The customer service agent went to check something and when he came back said I would get a full refund, no need to return the product. All along I kept thinking PayPal needed to honor their guarantee because transactions like mine are their business. i kept thinking someone would read my dispute and give me a refund, because I am not the problem. So the moral of my story is this: it is a hassle and it is frustrating and time-consuming, but keep going until you get someone’s attention.
Login to Me Too

MY-Canuck
Contributor
Contributor
@Unhappycamper3 The moral here is to get thru to a live representative and explain the situation. PayPal disputes are handled automatically by response bots. So basically you get nowhere if you don't response in a particular manner.
Kudos appreciated..
Remember if anything seems to good to be true, chances are it is!
Login to Me Too

Unhappycamper3
Contributor
Contributor
Success update!! PayPal did authorize a full refund of my purchase price. I do not have to return the product to China. I went through the dispute resolution process. Then after searching and searching found I could “appeal” to customer service by using either a help button or contact us button, and had to state my dispute again. I was told Paypal would reimburse $30 if the $66 it would cost to return the product to China. I pushed the button again and the representative went and checked something and came back and told me I would get a full refund, no need to return the product. So: don’t give up. Transactions like mine are PayPal’s business, and they need to be made aware of what is going on. They need to honor their commitment to me, because I am not the problem . And once I got to the right person the guarantee was honored. Yes, it was a hassle and frustrating and time-consuming, but My trust has been restored.
Login to Me Too

Dontgetscammed
Contributor
Contributor
Thats terrific. I tried to navigate paypals resolution process, but it sporadically didn't work, and I wasn't even sure if they were getting my messages. I did complain to them that they needed to do a better job at protecting customers; that's the sole reason I use them. I'm presently working with my CC company to get satisfaction.
Login to Me Too

Dontgetscammed
Contributor
Contributor
And, PayPal never responded to me when I complained. In writing. PayPal, if you're reading these, I'll ve happy to give you one more chance to make things right.
Login to Me Too

Al_W
Contributor
Contributor

Hey guys (@Tech_Jyoti@THVPK , @Surina01 , @MY-Canuck , @Dontgetscammed , @clzopp909 , @Pammydq , @Frainy , @Scoobee , @Crafter76 ), I have run into the exact same issue of having to send the parcel to China and not getting ANY workable answer from PayPal regarding the recipient and the address. And they have already changed their mind about where to return the parcel, so now I am completely confused about what to do. I started a twitter thread, trying to get some kind of response from some real human on Twitter. So far, no luck. If you are in the same boat, feel free to contribute to the thread, or like/retweet the thread to maybe get some attention to the problem and maybe get some kind of motion that could help us.

Login to Me Too

Al_W
Contributor
Contributor
Couldn't tag more people, so here is some more @exhaustman , @Rem131 , @chillcat , @ravin3 , @Thrasherg , @bethee61 , @mjm452 , @pamelaLI , @Unhappycamper3 , @Knuckles221
Login to Me Too

terrilonghorn
Contributor
Contributor

I too are in the exact same situation, I would never have bought the item if I had know it was coming from China, but they did not at any point say it was coming from china, on the contrary, they indicated the has a UK branch they would be shipping  from. like hundreds of customer using paypal you would thinks you were safe in using their service, but it seem not to be the case, they are allowing these companies to use their service to con us and do very little to help us, 

Login to Me Too

Sophietec
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal is aware of this and does nothing to help. I had no idea I bought something from China until I tried to return it. The clothes looked like a kindergarten school project. I don't understand their refusal to make them pay the return postage. I was told to mark return cargo on the outside of the package. Where is the cheapest way to send this?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.