UPS tracking number scam

cbee17
Contributor
Contributor

I tried a new marketplace because I trust PayPal. I wish, however, that I had also reviewed the eBay and PayPal community boards before purchasing. This exact scam appears frequently over recent weeks - where the 'seller' uses others' UPS tracking numbers to 'prove' delivery. I'm not an expert in security but it appears that the heart of the scam is the ease with which one can access UPS tracking numbers for a given date and zip code. You only need to guess a customer reference - which can be common and generic such as 'purchase order' or 'gift'. Of course, if you know someone who works at UPS (where tracking numbers are visible in any store), this would be even easier. Judging by the eBay outcomes (full refunds), I'm assuming that eBay security has caught up with this scam - perhaps banning this 'seller', leading them to migrate to another platform. PayPal, however, has not caught up with this - as my case was denied in less than 10 seconds (surely due to false 'proof' of delivery). I have UPS confirmation that the tracking number corresponds to neither the 'seller' nor to my name and address - but PayPal seems unable or unwilling to accept this information and address this scam. Until PayPal solves this, buyer beware.

Login to Me Too
56 REPLIES 56

bryontod
Contributor
Contributor

My order for an e-book was supposed to be provided via link in email after purchase.  Purchase made on 4/13/2020.  Proof of delivery using UPS tracking number that shows a shipped date of 4/8/2020.  Clearly no person is reviewing the tracking and order information.  A tracking number is not proof of anything.  A full record of the tracking would include shipper information and ship to address.  How can I talk to a human about this issue?

Merchant: Little Things Book 

Login to Me Too

AndyB5
Contributor
Contributor
My experience is that if you wait long enough on hold, you can talk to a an actual person on PayPal - and they'll be really supportive and ask for documentation. Then you'll hang up, content that you'll get a refund because you provided all the info requested (and the scam is obvious) but 30 minutes later you'll get an email that your claim was denied. I've managed to stop using PayPal - so I'm content (their service is not necessary). I'm surprised they're not more proactive about this fraud - it's bad business and drives away their consumers.
Login to Me Too

1budsky
Contributor
Contributor

Good Luck getting a human. Tracking numbers mean nothing. There should be a paper trail, shipment numbers, etc if the package was actually sent. It's obvious that Paypal is not checking these problems out at this time. This is a job somebody could be doing at home so they can't blame the virus for  their lack of follow up. Nobody can get a problem solved in an hour or so and shame on Paypal for doing business this way. Obviously, the CEO is not aware of this or if he is, he needs to be fired.

Login to Me Too

richie415

I have had two occasions where non-related UPS tracking numbers were submitted to PayPal and  a substantial amount of money was lost where  claim's was denied.  PayPal Is NOT a secure way to purchase items

Login to Me Too

1budsky
Contributor
Contributor

I think this relationship is over and I've been with them for years. They just don't care or hire people who just collect a paycheck and keep hitting that deny button. Nobody should have been denied on this one. They should be going after  these people because it's too many claims to sweep under the rug. My guess is it's not an American owned company.

Login to Me Too

AthenaWar
Contributor
Contributor
Make sure to file an FBI report. If there are enough complaints about PayPal backing scammers and UPS breach of tracking numbers something will get done.
Login to Me Too

rachelenglish
New Community Member

Same thing... UPS tracking number seems ligit,  says delivered to front door   but also in shipping details says it  UPS surepost which should go to USPS  another USPS tracking number that looks ligit.  Says waiting for delivery from UPS.   In the meantime your **bleep** because UPS says its delivered.  Something fishy with UPS  numbers that can be tracked and really look ligit.  Someone needs to look into this asap.  Seems this is a  new scam/.  Im fighting it with credit card company and Paypal.    I buy a LOT online... now Im rethinking. If you cant trust UPS  to secure tracking info customers will lose faith.  Lucky it was not a lot of money this time... but I have bought cars through ebay and paypal.   Not anymore.  

Login to Me Too

1budsky
Contributor
Contributor

Can't blame you. We're all in the same boat. CEO needs to get himself involved or get fired. They were supposed to protect us from scammers, and now they protect the buyers from other countries. Seems like they sold out somewhere. I am seeing more people not using them because of how they are doing things. I don't need them to purchase things online since they aren't protecting me. They want me to sign up for Honey which is supposed to give me the best deals, probably more scam stuff, and apply for their credit card. Not happening for me and I would not recommend it to anybody. Every purchase should have a paper trail and if it doesn't, then it's a scam. Anybody in accounting knows that. 

Login to Me Too

lagunaberry
Contributor
Contributor
I got taken for $99.94 and am disabled. They used this with a recently discovered fraud place called vemwear. It too is a subject here. PayPal is supposed to protect us from this.
Login to Me Too

chostazy
Contributor
Contributor

Got it twice this week.

1. highshopping.net - UPS tracking number shown as delivered, but UPS told me that it was delivered to another address/person.

- Paypal denied my case without getting into a details. Wrote a bad feedback, will try to call an Paypal tomorrow.

- Looks like it is famous scammer: https://reportscam.com/highshoppingnet

2. https://rozistore.best - order was paid on June 30th morning hours, UPS tracking which was provided shown delivery on June 30th 1:30PM already. Seller in CA, i'm in TX , looks like was light speed delivery.

-Opened case with Paypal , see what will be a result.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.