UPS tracking number scam

cbee17
Contributor
Contributor

I tried a new marketplace because I trust PayPal. I wish, however, that I had also reviewed the eBay and PayPal community boards before purchasing. This exact scam appears frequently over recent weeks - where the 'seller' uses others' UPS tracking numbers to 'prove' delivery. I'm not an expert in security but it appears that the heart of the scam is the ease with which one can access UPS tracking numbers for a given date and zip code. You only need to guess a customer reference - which can be common and generic such as 'purchase order' or 'gift'. Of course, if you know someone who works at UPS (where tracking numbers are visible in any store), this would be even easier. Judging by the eBay outcomes (full refunds), I'm assuming that eBay security has caught up with this scam - perhaps banning this 'seller', leading them to migrate to another platform. PayPal, however, has not caught up with this - as my case was denied in less than 10 seconds (surely due to false 'proof' of delivery). I have UPS confirmation that the tracking number corresponds to neither the 'seller' nor to my name and address - but PayPal seems unable or unwilling to accept this information and address this scam. Until PayPal solves this, buyer beware.

Login to Me Too
56 REPLIES 56

Itisascam

I am also dealing with this. Would you be interested in five in the class action lawsuit?

Login to Me Too

Ydude
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I would. PayPal is facilitating this criminal activity without recourse. 

Login to Me Too

quitebrother
Contributor
Contributor
Yes let's sue
Login to Me Too

monicags
Contributor
Contributor

MY seller is from China Elishop. The did the same thing and uploaded a FAKE UPS tracking number with my address that shows left in the garage. I don't have a garage. I create a dispute and Paypal closed it. How can I fix this? the name appears as Li <removed>.. from China

Login to Me Too

AthenaWar
Contributor
Contributor

I also have a purchased from Le.  Same thing, UPS show my zip code for my P.O. Box where the item was to be shipped.  My physical address is a different zip code.  I never gave PayPal or the Seller my physical address. I will never use PayPal again.  The confirmation email I received from the seller self deleted. I plan on contacting a news agency to get the word out about the UPS Tracking issue as well as the scammers and PayPal. 

Login to Me Too

Ydude
Contributor
Contributor
The UPS proof of delivery supplied by seller had no address only the city of my address. Also, the weight listed on proof of delivery was 2.1 pounds (for a 72lb. BBQ) PayPal considered that sufficient evidence to promptly deny my dispute. I recently re-purchased same exact bbq from Home Depot. What also bothers me is that I tried to cancel transaction minutes after clicking purchase but canceling wasn’t an option.
Login to Me Too

AthenaWar
Contributor
Contributor
Let me guess, you ordered from ConsolesStop.com. I did to. On my info he is Le. Neither he nor PayPal have my physical address. It clearly states that on my shipping order from PayPal. Same ruse with someone else’s UPS tracking number. I ordered a PlayStation. The package delivered only weighed 0.70 lbs to another person in my area. I got the UPS tracking information and submitted it to PayPal who has since quit responding. I have reported this to my bank and filed an FBI report. I suggest you do the same.
Login to Me Too

1budsky
Contributor
Contributor
I am not trusting Paypal anymore. Too many complaints so something has changed. I am thinking to find another system to handle my needs.
Login to Me Too

1budsky
Contributor
Contributor

I think Paypal has lost it's credibility with a lot of people. I no longer trust them to have my best interests. A tracking number doesn't mean anything. I sent a copy of my invoice and a picture of what they sent me. Not even close and Paypal still found in their favor. That's somebody not wanting to do their job and check this scammer out. They keep changing their names so I post on every post that comes up about this scam.

Login to Me Too

monicags
Contributor
Contributor

UPDATE: Elishops used a tracking number indicating that the sender was "Amazon". I called UPS amd provided the fake tracking details listed on the paypal purchase. UPS then told me I needed to contact the seller, "Amazon" since the item showed as shipped by Amazon Texas.

I explain the tracking was a China man hoax and that I did not make a purchase from Amazon and that the seller was Elishops from China NOT Amazon. After further review, UPS found that the tracking was to an address in my zip code, but not to me and did not match my name or address.

So Elishops somehow was able to find and use Amazon tracking info from someone in my zip code who made a purchase from Amazon. Long story short, UPS sent me an email stating such. I downloaded the email and sent it to Paypal. After one week of going back and forth, I was finally refunded for the $57.94. Beware of Elishops and any sellers from China. The fake tracking invoices are not joke! 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.