UPS tracking number scam

cbee17
Contributor
Contributor

I tried a new marketplace because I trust PayPal. I wish, however, that I had also reviewed the eBay and PayPal community boards before purchasing. This exact scam appears frequently over recent weeks - where the 'seller' uses others' UPS tracking numbers to 'prove' delivery. I'm not an expert in security but it appears that the heart of the scam is the ease with which one can access UPS tracking numbers for a given date and zip code. You only need to guess a customer reference - which can be common and generic such as 'purchase order' or 'gift'. Of course, if you know someone who works at UPS (where tracking numbers are visible in any store), this would be even easier. Judging by the eBay outcomes (full refunds), I'm assuming that eBay security has caught up with this scam - perhaps banning this 'seller', leading them to migrate to another platform. PayPal, however, has not caught up with this - as my case was denied in less than 10 seconds (surely due to false 'proof' of delivery). I have UPS confirmation that the tracking number corresponds to neither the 'seller' nor to my name and address - but PayPal seems unable or unwilling to accept this information and address this scam. Until PayPal solves this, buyer beware.

Login to Me Too
56 REPLIES 56

chostazy
Contributor
Contributor

My both previous cases was closed to favor of seller, after that I called to PayPal support and both were changed to my favor.

Login to Me Too

wasser2b
Contributor
Contributor

I learned that Paypal does not check the address, just the ZIP-code from a discussion with a former Paypal employee in a German Paypal group on Facebook.

In the end, after 2 times closing the case, Paypal paid my money back as I got an email from UPS confirming that the package was not delivered to me or my address.

Login to Me Too

1budsky
Contributor
Contributor
Paypal is not protecting anybody accept the scammers. With all these complaints, I'm sure somebody will go after them. Can't blame this on Covid.
Login to Me Too

DebCaz
Contributor
Contributor

You can refer to this PayPal topic as well for this scam being played out by a particular company... Yakawa Network Limited.

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Disputes-and-Limitations/How-safe-is-Yokawa-Network-Limited/td-p...

Login to Me Too

1budsky
Contributor
Contributor
Do not trust Paypal or Ebay, Facebook, cause scammers are hitting all the popular places. I bypassed Paypal cause they didn't take the time to investigate my scam and went straight to my credit card and got my refund. I sent them all my copies of my scam order and had a refund the next day.I won't buy anything out of the United States. Paypal knows this is a scam and refuses to deal with it.
Login to Me Too

Lornawall
Contributor
Contributor

I just got scammed today, the tracking number provided however was from USPS. 

My story: In the wee hours of July 15th, I purchased a portable hand washing sink (for camping ) from a sketchy website that I realized after the fact is most likely a fly by night shady website setup up to lure and rip off unsuspecting buyers.  The item in question is manufactured by a company located in the united kingdom, I am located in the United States.  The company who makes this product did not offer international shipment to the USA and a lot of their products including the item I wanted was out of stock and only available for back orders, mostly likely due the the covid pandemic.

I google the item for sale and found a website offering it at almost 40% off  MSRP.  They offered international shipping, this was the first red flag as it was fishy that the manufacturer had no stock and a product that should be in high demand was selling here for less than what the manufacturer had it listed for.

The 2nd red flag: when I attempted to checkout using my credit card it triggered a fraud alert and even after I  green lighted the transaction through my credit card company all other attempts to pay for the product via my credit card was declined. I chalked it up to my credit card company was simply flagging the purchase because it was a foreign merchant etc.

This is the point where I should have let things be but there was a PayPal payment option and I figured PayPal is usually a safe bet for buyers when it comes to scammers so I push through with the payment via paypal.  The 3rd red flag, The website was presented as a UK entity, all currency on the website was in UK pounds yet while making the payment via PayPal the receiver's name was listed in chinese characters.  I then googled the company and could find zero information pertaining to any reviews or mentions of this website whatsoever. Dread finally set in and I called PayPal first thing later this morning to voice my concerns about a possible fraudulent scenario  with this merchant... I was told nothing could be done until my pending payment went through.

I also emailed the seller (hotmail.com email, how professional ) asking for an estimated shipping date for my order as the order confirmation did not have this information I still haven't heard back from the seller.   About 20 minutes after emailing them I received a PayPal email confirming shipment of my order, I clicked on the tracking number attached to the paypal email and my heart did flip flops. The USPS tracking number showed a shipment that went out on July 9th!!!!  7 days before my order was even placed. Tracking also showed the item delivered to somewhere in my zip code on July 13th. My order was placed around 2am today, July 15th.

I am so disgusted with myself for not doing my due diligence and googling this website first before putting my personal information in the hand of scammers and possibly losing my hard earned money on this transaction. I have already filed a claim with paypal since the seller uploaded tracking and the tracking already shows item delivered. I am still baffled as to how the scammer had access to a tracking number that showed tracking  on an item shipped to my zip code. They **bleep** up though since the tracking shows a shipment that was sent out a week before I even placed an order and also delivered 2 days before my order date.

Login to Me Too

wasser2b
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem. Paypal closed the case twice even with a written confirmation by UPS that the package was not sent to my address and had not my name on it. After I complained at Facebook Paypal said the would open the case again, but after nothing happened I complained again and was barred from Paypal's Facebook page. Strange that fraudsters are supported by Paypal.  Filed a complaint with the FBI, BBB and the Texas Attorney General.

Login to Me Too

1budsky
Contributor
Contributor

Good for you! I did get my money back from my credit card company. I won't use Paypal anymore since they aren't taking care of their customers. What's the point of using them if they aren't secure. A new scam is out there on Facebook. Kingstoner posted an ad for a VW van outdoor cooler for $19.99.  Of course, it comes from China. Cute product, went to the website just to see what else was available and it just screams scam. Facebook should be checking out people who advertise on their site. Amazon sells alot from China too.I had an order with a fake shipping number. Got a refund from Amazon for my order I never got. 

Login to Me Too

1budsky
Contributor
Contributor
Update: Got a charge back from Capital One but I am still disputing this case. I sent them a bunch of info to prove that this is a scam and the info these scammers sent them was fake. I put the tracking number in twice and got a response saying a package was mailed in May from Hawthorne, Ca. Hasn't arrived to me and there is no available tracking info yet. Scam alert.
Login to Me Too

mamafrog

Don't give up. Even if they close your case in favor of the seller at first. I went through everything everyone else went through. Mine was a Nintendo Switch from a site called ConsolesStop.com. Yeah, I should have known better, but Buyer Protection, right? It was when I called PayPal and got someone on the phone that my efforts were successful. Here is what to do: Call Paypal eight eight eight two two one one one six one. Listen to the excuses about wait times and how you can access the same info at their help center online. Stay on the line. Verify the last four of your SSN, and then at the prompt, say "main menu." When they ask for a few words about what your call is about, say missing shipment. At the next prompt, say "agent." At this point, you can choose to wait or get a call back. I chose to get a call back, and about 27 minutes later, I got a call from an Omaha NE number. I was connected almost immediately to an angelic voice who sounded like she genuinely wanted to help. I went through my explanation one more time, and she told me that I had worked hard enough at that point and that she would see what she could do. I ended up three-way calling UPS eight hundred seven four two five eight seven seven with her still on the line because none of the options got her through to an actual human being. Here's how you get through: When the UPS call is connected, say shipping information at the first prompt, and then agent. They will ask if this is regarding a domestic shipment. Say yes. Wait a few seconds to connect to a person and let the Paypal rep do the talking. UPS will confirm that the package with that tracking number was not delivered to your address. At that point, the Paypal rep should have everything he/she needs to re-open your case and re-settle it in your favor. You can let UPS off the line but then stay on the phone long enough to confirm that you will be issued a refund. If not, ask to talk to someone else. You will get an email from Paypal a few minutes later about your refund and your case will show that it was decided in your favor. Good luck!

P.S. Those were the numbers I called. PayPal took them out initially because they wouldn't want us to actually be helpful to one another.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.