UPS tracking number scam

cbee17
Contributor
Contributor

I tried a new marketplace because I trust PayPal. I wish, however, that I had also reviewed the eBay and PayPal community boards before purchasing. This exact scam appears frequently over recent weeks - where the 'seller' uses others' UPS tracking numbers to 'prove' delivery. I'm not an expert in security but it appears that the heart of the scam is the ease with which one can access UPS tracking numbers for a given date and zip code. You only need to guess a customer reference - which can be common and generic such as 'purchase order' or 'gift'. Of course, if you know someone who works at UPS (where tracking numbers are visible in any store), this would be even easier. Judging by the eBay outcomes (full refunds), I'm assuming that eBay security has caught up with this scam - perhaps banning this 'seller', leading them to migrate to another platform. PayPal, however, has not caught up with this - as my case was denied in less than 10 seconds (surely due to false 'proof' of delivery). I have UPS confirmation that the tracking number corresponds to neither the 'seller' nor to my name and address - but PayPal seems unable or unwilling to accept this information and address this scam. Until PayPal solves this, buyer beware.

Login to Me Too
56 REPLIES 56

Ydude
Contributor
Contributor
I got scammed from same guy. Seller sends PayPal Proof of delivery the city without a specific address. I’m disgusted with PayPal’s incompetence and will be fighting this all the way.
Login to Me Too

AthenaWar
Contributor
Contributor
I not only informed my bank who is now investigating but I also file an FBI report. I suggest you do the same. If enough people step up, something will have to be done about UPS allowing their systems to be accessed. To the scammers using this ruse, and to PayPal who get paid by Sellers.
Login to Me Too

Itisascam

Would you be willing to join a class action lawsuit against PayPal? 

Login to Me Too

quitebrother
Contributor
Contributor

fleebers
Contributor
Contributor

Good lord, I am in the midst of this too.  I should have known better since the start since the website reeked of scam, and I was so distracted and rushed in that moment I just paypal'd the purchase, banking on Paypal being trustworthy. The seller is called Binideals but the charge shows up on paypal as a Vietnamese person's name- categorized as Novelty Gift shop, the address is some house in New Jersey, and the phone number is 'not working'.  Seller responded with a fake UPS tracking number, and I responded that I didnt receive the alert of this package on UPS my choice, and also that the weight of the package was 2 pounds, rather than the actual weight which is 7 pounds.  So Paypal wrote back and told me to get a USPS Intranet Form- but i'm confused because its UPS and not US postal service.  Anyone know how I can get my hands on some kind of report?  

Login to Me Too

arad2

I filed a claim on the UPS website for a missing package to get the ball rolling. They sent me an email a week or so later which confirmed the name, address, and seller connected with the tracking number was NOT mine (and they revealed it to me probably in error since that was the info the number provided).  I am in the process of trying to get Paypal to reexamine my dispute which was closed/denied but having great difficulty, going in circles since I cannot reopen this claim. I called the contact number for Paypal, and after exhausting all the automated options, I said representative.  I left my number and am waiting for a call back from a rep.   

Login to Me Too

AthenaWar
Contributor
Contributor
PayPal told me they couldn’t investigate every complaint. I had my order shipped to a Post Office Box so there is no way UPS could have delivered it to my doorstep. Neither PayPal nor the scammer have my physical address. The package weighed considerably less than what I ordered and PayPal continues to protect the scammer. I have contacted my bank and I have filed an FBI report. I suggest you do the same.
Login to Me Too

Itisascam

I am caught in the same loop myself. Apparently thousands of others are also. Time to file a class action lawsuit against PayPal since they are aware of and seem to go along with this fake UPS or USPS tracking number scam

Login to Me Too

wasser2b
Contributor
Contributor

File a complaint under the UPS tracking number. But the chance is high that Paypal does not accept the solution of UPS that the package was not found.

Write to the CEO of UPS and Paypal, that was what mode Paypal moving in my case. The notice of delivery from UPS does not say that the package was delivered to you. Paypal accepts already a tracking number just for your Zip-Code.

Login to Me Too

AthenaWar
Contributor
Contributor
I went to the UPS Store in my area and explained what was going on. I showed them a printed page from PayPal showing the tracking number. They gave me a print out with UPS logo showing the package was sent to someone else and the shipper was not the person I ordered from. Talk to your bank. Also file a FBI report. I did.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.