Lost a dispute, buyer won’t mail item back

plavodoor
Contributor
Contributor

I used PayPal to sell an item and the buyer used friends/family to pay me. Buyer claims the item is defective which it isn’t. I reminded the buyer the item was sold as is. Buyer opened a dispute with his bank who got s hold of PayPal. Paypal isn’t able to tell me anything about this dispute or even provide me with details on why the buyer won’t give tracking details if he even shipped the item back or not. At this point the buyer got his money back plus he was allowed to keep the item and it seems as if there’s nothing I can do about it. I got scammed. Help!

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@plavodoor wrote:
I used PayPal to sell an item and the buyer used friends/family to pay me. Buyer claims the item is defective which it isn’t. I reminded the buyer the item was sold as is. Buyer opened a dispute with his bank who got a hold of PayPal. Paypal isn’t able to tell me anything about this dispute or even provide me with details on why the buyer won’t give tracking details if he even shipped the item back or not. At this point the buyer got his money back plus he was allowed to keep the item and it seems as if there’s nothing I can do about it. I got scammed. Help!

With bank reversals, the bank determines the outcome because the case is now between Bank and PayPal. Just like in credit card chargebacks. PayPal's hands are tied here. You should have opted for the goods and services payment, that way the buyer at least has to return for a refund. 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@plavodoor

Its against Paypal rules to accept a family / friends payment for selling goods and can lead to your Paypal account being limited.

A buyer would not be able to open a Paypal dispute for 'non-receipt' OR 'not as described' as they would have no Paypal buyer protection.
However they can still open an 'unauthorised transaction' OR do a 'chargeback' (if they funded that Paypal payment via their credit card) and you would probably lose as you would have no Paypal seller protection because you accepted payment that way.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

plavodoor
Contributor
Contributor
But how is the buyer allowed to keep the item on top of getting their money back? The bank or PayPal allow this? Anyone can pull this scam in that case. They should be required to show proof to their bank that the item was returned to get their money bank. I have his address so legal action would also be an option.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@plavodoor

Well if you had sent the friends / family payment back to the buyer and told them to pay using the goods / services option then you would have been covered by seller protection.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

nevadasmith
Advisor
Advisor

@plavodoor wrote:
But how is the buyer allowed to keep the item on top of getting their money back? The bank or PayPal allow this? Anyone can pull this scam in that case. They should be required to show proof to their bank that the item was returned to get their money bank. I have his address so legal action would also be an option.

chargeback policy differs from Paypal or Ebay dispute,the buyer does not have to return the item,it is up to the bank .

With Ebay,if yu have a no return policy and lose the Ebay dispute,buyer does not have to return the item,no return means you don't want your item back.

In your case,

you don't know what your buyer told her bank,Paypal is not obliged to pass on what she said to you,this is the disadvantage of using Paypal versus having your own merchant account .

if you want the item back,you can ask the buyer and offer return shipping on you. 

Login to Me Too

plavodoor
Contributor
Contributor
PayPal closed my case in the buyers favor. Funds are taken out. Buyer claims his bank has not credited his account which is why he hasn’t mailed me back my item yet. What do I do next? Why would PayPal close it if the bank didn’t close the case?
Login to Me Too

nevadasmith
Advisor
Advisor

if it is a chargeback,it is not up to PAYPAL to keep the case open,the decision has been made by her cc issuer.

if she pays with her card,it goes back to her card account,ask her.

Login to Me Too

nevadasmith
Advisor
Advisor

one piece of advice-

as a seller,try not to give buyer a chance to file charge back with her cc issuer,as she may not have to return the item,she gets all her money back and you will pay a $20 penalty fee.

if she opens a dispute with Paypal and win,she would pay return shipping.

that way you will get your item back to resell ,all you lose is original shipping cost.

Login to Me Too

plavodoor
Contributor
Contributor
How do I ask that they pay? How do I know how they ended up paying?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.