Use of PO box

fido39
Contributor
Contributor

I'm wanting to set up another paypal account linked to my business and close my personal one. Due to my business being  what it is (Publishing fieldsports books, fishing shooting etc) i dont want my address to show in paypal when buyer asks for details or any other corispondance. This is to safe guard my home and family so was wondering is it allowed to use a PO box address with paypal?

I have spent the last week trying to get this info from the paypal help section and loads of waiting in calls to their help centre im still without any advice. Please, if anyone has any info or advice i would be really greatfull

fido39

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_david

Hi Fido39,

Thanks for your question, I think I can give you some information on this to help you with your query.

If you open a Business PayPal Account, you will have the ability to register a PO Box address on your PayPal account, but you may experience some problems by doing this.

If your account is not verified and your limits are not lifted, you will be required to lift them at some point in the future. One of these steps is for you to confirm your home location (which you will be unable to do as your address will be a PO Box address).

I would not think of any reason that we would provide your postal address to your buyers. We are unable to provide account specific information of one customers PayPal account to another customer as it breaches the Data Protection act that we are required to adhere to.

If you would still like to make a PO Box address your home address, my best advice for you would be to register your Business PayPal Account and then complete the verification steps on the account. This can be done by clicking the 'View Limits' icon on the Account Overview page. Once all the relevant steps are complete, you will then be able to register the PO Box address and then make this your home postal address.

I hope this information helps Smiley Happy

David

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7
Solved

PayPal_david

Hi Fido39,

Thanks for your question, I think I can give you some information on this to help you with your query.

If you open a Business PayPal Account, you will have the ability to register a PO Box address on your PayPal account, but you may experience some problems by doing this.

If your account is not verified and your limits are not lifted, you will be required to lift them at some point in the future. One of these steps is for you to confirm your home location (which you will be unable to do as your address will be a PO Box address).

I would not think of any reason that we would provide your postal address to your buyers. We are unable to provide account specific information of one customers PayPal account to another customer as it breaches the Data Protection act that we are required to adhere to.

If you would still like to make a PO Box address your home address, my best advice for you would be to register your Business PayPal Account and then complete the verification steps on the account. This can be done by clicking the 'View Limits' icon on the Account Overview page. Once all the relevant steps are complete, you will then be able to register the PO Box address and then make this your home postal address.

I hope this information helps Smiley Happy

David

Login to Me Too

fido39
Contributor
Contributor

Hello David

Thanks for your reply. So from what your saying, as long as i dont give out my address personally or on any business paperwork to my customers that have paid by paypal, they wont be able to see my addres on any of paypals corrispondence or automated reciepts from paypal?

If that is the case that is good news as it will save me £100. So its just a case of setting up an account as before and linking it to my webstore that will allow payment via paypal?

Again yhanks for your help.

fido39

Login to Me Too

PayPal_david

Hi again Fido39 Smiley Happy

Yes, that is correct. When you receive a payment from a buyer, we are required to provide the buyer's postal address to you so that you can post the purchased item to your buyer. We do not provide any postal address or contact number to the sender of the payment as they are not required to see this information.

I know that there are some sellers that provide a return address to buyers with their purchase if they wish to return an item as I have seen this before when receiving my eBay purchases, but this decision is down to you as the seller of the goods.

I hope this information helps and best of luck with your selling Smiley Happy

David.

Login to Me Too

jibjab
Contributor
Contributor

I have a follow up question to this since this is also a concern of mine, and I am confused about your response after reading Paypal's current Privacy Policy.  Under the following section it reads:

How we share personal information with other PayPal users

...To facilitate dispute resolution, we may provide a buyer with the seller’s address so that goods can be returned to the seller.

After reading that it seems that Paypal does in fact reserve the right to release a Seller's address to buyers if they feel the buyer has the right to return an item (regardless if we elect to accept returns or not in the listing).  If I am misunderstanding either your response or the Privacy Policy please elaborate.

If the Privacy Policy is accurate could anyone elaborate on what circumstances would Paypal divulge our home address to buyers without our consent?  Namely, since it isn't mentioned in the policy, would it be any type of dispute or only ones involving potential returns?  My concern as a seller is that on the surface it seems that anyone would have the ability to get my address from Paypal as long as they file a simple dispute (not even escalating to a claim).

Any additional info on this subject would be most appreciated...

Login to Me Too

PayPal_paula

Hi jibjab, 

Welcome to the PayPal community forum. 

When a case is filed against you for an item significantly not as described and the dispute is escalated to a claim PayPal may decide that the buyer can return the item to you for a refund. If such as decision is made PayPal will provide your buyer with your shipping address to allow them return the item. 

If a non receipt of an item claim is filed PayPal would not provide your address as there is no need for your buyer to have it. 

Finally, as a dispute on PayPal is a conversation between a buyer and seller, PayPal do not get involved or take action. 

I hope this answers your questions and please repost if you have any further questions

Paula 

Login to Me Too

jibjab
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for clarifying this Paula.  So only in the event Paypal finds in favor of a buyer in a SNAD claim is the only time Paypal would reveal the seller's address to the buyer (to be able to return the item).  I'd feel a bit better if this language was in the policy itself, but hearing it here is reassuring.

The only other thing that would give me piece of mind as a seller would be to know exactly which address Paypal would release to a buyer, or ultimately give me the ability to select it.  You mentioned that Paypal could release my "shipping address" under the circumstances described above, but what does that mean if we have multiple addresses?  Paypal uses "Home Confirmed" and "Alternate" terminology.  Ideally I would have an alternate address for returns, a service that accepts packages for example, to use just in these cases.  I would just need the ability to specify that alternate address in the event Paypal finds in favor of a buyer in a SNAD claim.  

If someone could clarify if Paypal uses a specific type of address we have by default in these cases or better yet if they give the seller the ability to choose the address I think this issue would be resolved for me at least.  Thanks again for the response and the info...

Login to Me Too

PayPal_paula

Hi jibjab, 

You are very welcome and I am glad I could clarify for you. In relation to the address provided, It would be the registered home address that would generally be offered to your buyer. There currently isn't an option to allow you choose the address. The reason for this is to ensure items are being shipped to a valid and confirmed if possible address. 

I hope this helps 

Paula Smiley Happy

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.