Normal purchase showing as a Monthly Direct Debit in Bank Account.

venividivici
New Community Member

I purchased an item through paypal on ebay last month and it as normal the paypal purchase was debited from my Bank Account.

However checking my Bank Account today it shows that there is now a MONTHLY direct debit for the same amount as this purchase payable to paypal.

I've cancelled this monthly direct debit at my bank. Is there anything further i need to do?

Login to Me Too
37 REPLIES 37

DevonExpat
Contributor
Contributor

Is there a quarterly debit to your account appearing in your bank account's statements, or is it just appearing in the list of direct debits with the frequency entry made out as 'quarterly'? If money is being taken from your account every quarter and you are not aware of the reason, you need to query that directly in your PayPal account and NOT on this forum!

Login to Me Too

PayPal_paula

Hi Michael1211,

It sounds like you may have a payment agreement or subscription payment set up.

Here’s how to check

1. Log in to your PayPal account.
  2. Click Profile near the top of the page.
  3. Click My money.
  4. Click Update beside "My preapproved payments."

If you are still unable to locate why the funds are coming from your PayPal account please contact us directly so we can take a look.

Thanks for posting

Paula

Login to Me Too

charlesch
New Community Member

Hi,

Today I checked my bank account and I was shocked! Paypal take from my account £54.46 and set up a monthly direct debit without my authorisation. I cancel this setting on my account. This is totaly fraud!

How I can get back my money? I have Reference number of this withdraw by paypal on my bank account.

Do I have to write to my bank? or write straight to paypal?

Regards

Login to Me Too

derloopkat
Contributor
Contributor

Having the same problem here. I've paid by PayPal for a pen I bought in eBay for $11.98 USD (£7.91 GBP). It seems to have generated a permanent direct debit for £7.91 to be paid forever, every three months, instead of once.

After reading about the differences between direct debit and standing order, I'm not sure if this is what actually will happen or "frequency" doesn't apply for direct debit but for standing orders alone. However the bank's web site display that as it was "quarterly".

Login to Me Too

Jarek87
Contributor
Contributor

Ok... i understand that ... But since i cancelled unwanted direct debit i my bank  my paypal pays for my goods (ex.. from ebay) but i don't see money going off from my account in bank plus paypal wallet says i own PayPal money... 

And in tab : Bank accounts and card i see my bank account and sign saying needs your approval ... but when i click on it shows me my account with other sign saying : Direct Debit Instruction Complete Set-Up and when im trying complete that nothing happens ... how can i sort it out ? 

Login to Me Too

mariosx
New Community Member

Are you guys for real ?

1. If you don't wont the money to be taken from your bank account, but rather from your debit/credit card, just select the card during checkout of your purchase

2. The direct debit is set up but the amount is not fixed. If you do another purchase while keeping the default payment method as "bank account" you'll see that the next charge is for the amount you paid last time.

3. The direct debit frequency shown on your internet banking is not the frequency that money are going to be taken in the future, but the frequency that the money is being taken based on the history of the direct debit charges. You'll understand that when you make a new direct debit agreemnet but the first payment has not been taken -> you'll see that the frequency is "unknown" since there are no debits made yet.

People like to panic don't they...

Login to Me Too

ha500
New Community Member

Hi, i have two questions:

1) I have been trying to shop through Zara UK but everytime i click pay throug pal and login to my paypal, my payment is declined. THIS IS FRUSTRATING and confusing . I have sufficient funds in pAY PAl and have also confirmed my bank account then why is my payment declined?

2) I always keep suffiecient funds in my paypal and prfer paying through my paypal balance rather than bank account. however, whenever I shop and choose paypal as my mode of payment, i am shown  my card number, confirming if the that card will cover the payment. why is that?? I am hesitant to proceed fearing that the payment will be deducted from my bank account.

can you please help????

ha

Login to Me Too

g7fpw
Contributor
Contributor

I am very confused!

I made a one-off purchase from a company, last month, which showed in my bank account as a Direct Debit.

In a panic I cancelled the bank's Direct Debit for that particular company (although I make many purchase payments through Paypal) and, having read some of the comments on this thread - particularly about the possibility of having to revalidate my bank with Paypal -  I now wonder if I've done the right thing.

I'm beginning to understand - I think! - why it was shown as a Direct Debit:  because, in order for my bank to pay Paypal it has to have the authority to make payments on demand, regardless of which company I've actually purchased from.  Is this right?

If so, and if I shall need to revalidate my bank with Paypal, will I receive notice of this or will I just lose the ability to make purchases through Paypal until I contact Paypal and go through the whole process again?

Pam Howard

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.