Normal purchase showing as a Monthly Direct Debit in Bank Account.

venividivici
New Community Member

I purchased an item through paypal on ebay last month and it as normal the paypal purchase was debited from my Bank Account.

However checking my Bank Account today it shows that there is now a MONTHLY direct debit for the same amount as this purchase payable to paypal.

I've cancelled this monthly direct debit at my bank. Is there anything further i need to do?

Login to Me Too
37 REPLIES 37

AshJ
New Community Member

A normal purchase is showing as a quarterly direct debit? am i being charged for the use of paypal? 

Login to Me Too

neveus
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Paula

Instead of waiting to transfer money into my PayPal account, I'd rather just pay instantly through my debit card.

How do I go about doing this?

Thanks

Login to Me Too

cleocliq

Hi

ive cancelled what I thought was a suspicious direct debit which stated PayPal on it only to realise that it was just the confirmation that links my bank and my PayPal so I can pay for purchases, I received an email from PayPal stating what had happened and advised me to re submit direct debit activation but my PayPal won't let me re submit it, why???? I now can't use my PayPal to pay for purchases

Please help

claire

Login to Me Too

Jarek87
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal_paula said : "Please be assured that it is not going to take a monthly payment." And i did as you said and cancelled that monthly payments.. but since then paypal shows me negative balance on my paypal account... so that means that i have to again set up pay pal as new recipient in my bank or how i can resolve this problem ? ... Because i don't have any idea now... i tried everything on my bank account but there i can only set up monthly weekly etc payments... Do not have option "open direct debit mandate."

Login to Me Too

DevonExpat
Contributor
Contributor

A direct debit must be set up through your Paypal account (as it is the payee that 'takes' the payment from your bank account). There should be no reason why you can't set up another DD having cancelled the earlier one.

I can only speak for my own online bank account, but DDs appear as monthly, quarterly, half-yearly and annually, even though payments are taken at irregular times and with irregular frequency. Even DDs in my account that have expired (for a payment to, say, an energy company that no longer supplies my property) remain with one of those 'frequencies'. It is an anomaly of the bank's system and does NOT mean that your bank will make that payment every month (or however often)!

Login to Me Too

Eastin07
New Community Member
Did I miss the update from PayPal indicating that if I use PayPal in a transaction that rather than showing on my statement, payments are being directly debited fr my bank, WITHOUT my permission? Advice appreciated, I feel as though I should remove my bank information, seems PayPal is acting as a "middle-man" not needed Thanks
Login to Me Too

Snegal

Logging on to my online banking I noticed that PayPal has set up a direct debit of 300 pounds per month. The first payment was made today. I don't recall doing anything that would set this up? Why is this there?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Have you bought anything in the last few days for £300?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_lucy

Hey there leonardo90,

Welcome to the community.

Yep, you are right in saying that it’s not going to charge you a monthly fee. The direct debit is set up and only used if you want to send payment through your PayPal account from your bank account.

Also yes, the amount showing the monthly fee is only based on the recent transaction that you have made. This isn’t a recurring payment.

I hope this helps.

Snegal, welcome to you too.

I have moved your post here as I think your question has already been answered. 

Login to Me Too

jmason61093
New Community Member

what happens if i have delited that direct debit but im still waiting for other funds to come out

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.