HORRIBLE IDEA TO HOLD FUNDS FOR 21 DAYS!!!

gearhed78
Contributor
Contributor

Holding funds from sellers until the buyer leaves feedback is the worst idea EVER! Since when does Paypal become an authority on buyer satisfaction?? A smooth transaction is all that I wanted from Paypal. If they are going to hold funds, then they should make it very clear BEFORE you use them!  Keeping my money in their account for 21 days is a HUGE disadvantage of using Paypal. Stick to transferring funds,not trying to be a satisfaction authority!

Login to Me Too
6,286 REPLIES 6,286

sm1715
Contributor
Contributor
This is in response to stevefax:: (sorry about the formatting - I canNOT get spaces into my posts for the life of me!) 111111. First of all, a buyer leaving positive feedback NO LONGER RELEASES THE HOLD (PayPal has not updated their FAQ regarding this yet - in the last link, the first part of the third FAQ answer is wrong) 222222. If you print a label through eBay, they will then have the delivery confirmation number, and your money will automatically be released 3 days after delivery - as long as the buyer doesn't complain. 333333. If you print your labels thru eBay, you will have the option to pay for the shipping with the buyer's money - eBay will withdraw the shipping fee right before the hold is released. ***If you print labels through PayPal, they'll withdraw the funds from your bank account, but then refund you within 24 hours. 444444. My latest theory - eBay initiates the hold on "new" sellers..... (not necessarily new, but few sales - see the eBay link below),    http://pages.ebay.com//sellerinformation/howtosell/acceptingpayments/fundsavailability_lmtdexp.html From that page you can get to this one by clicking "learn more":***Be sure to click on the "advanced FAQs" tab!!!   https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=security/ebay_payments_learn_more    .....and Paypal initiates the hold for low seller ratings & other "high risk" sellers for eBay & other sites:  https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/marketingweb?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=security/paypal_holds_...
Login to Me Too

whyte66angels
Contributor
Contributor

Completely not true. All BS! If you read the 568 pages of complaints on this topic you will find the hold can go on for as long as 180 days. & they can do it to just about anyone! They have been doing this for over a year almost 2. Its just taken this long for the DSR to really take effect. So Ebay can hold your funds for any reason they see fit. Ebay could give a crap because they are still getting there money & making even more while you jump through there hoops to get your money.  What do you think they would do if you put a 21 day hold on there fee's? Its called boot city! As long as they have you they have complete control over your money. The question is how long do you let them have control over you & your money? I can gaurrentee it will be longer than 21 days. They tell you this then long after your 21 days is up & you knotify them to ask "where is my money"? They then turn to you & say they will continue to hold your money until there next review comes up in 30 days which is accually 6mos to 1 year. So people time to check your reality. Is it really worth the headache? There are other auction sites that would treat you better. it costs nothing to register. Costs of listing dont even come close to what ebay charges.

Login to Me Too

illusions1137
Contributor
Contributor

sm1715 - Either you have no clue what's going on - OR - you work for ebay/paypal and are trying to deliberately lie and mislead people.

The hold is NOT solely for people who are "high risk" or have low seller ratings. If that was the case, everybody would agree with it as most of us would welcome ebay cracking down on scammers.  But that's NOT what's happening.  Instead, thousands of people - like myself - who have been selling on ebay for years, have 100% positive feedback and never had a single complaint lodged against them are having their money withheld from them.  This is why there are 560-plus pages of angry complaints from outraged sellers in this thread and threads on the ebay forum!!! 

It's just outrageous that they would snub and disrespect the sellers who helped the company build the site into the success that it is today. And for what???  So they can greedily pool everyone's money into a fund, collect the interest on it and even use it to invest in the market.  Who wouldn't want access to tens of millions of dollars to invest in the market for free???? And if they make a poor investment decision with OUR money and LOSE it - no problem. They can just use the next paypal account's money to pay off the first when the 21 days are up - like a ponzi scheme.  This, last time I checked, is illegal. And this is why people are outraged! 

Login to Me Too

bon2013
Contributor
Contributor

I read this:
" I have been a member of both ebay and paypal since 1999. If they don't release your funds for 21"

Strangely always thought that this applies only to the young sellers!

Login to Me Too

JewAce
New Community Member

I dont know if anyone feels the same as I do on this but if you expect me to send a product without receiving the money, you are mistaken beyond belief. 

I operate a growing and successful web hosting company that is a registered LLC with a business bank account linked to the account. I will not send poducts if you are going to hold my money.

Hate to break it to you but Paypal, your not a bank. You have no authority to do this.

I will surely be switching to another provider if this is the way your going to do business.

Login to Me Too

lewisbob
Contributor
Contributor

Got slapped with 21 day hold. Spent 1 1/2 hr on the phone with 2 people at the FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION. They were very interested in my dilema. They asked some very interesting questions wanted account history from pp & eb. I oblidged,  they said not the first person to complain. wanted names, i said me too. somewhere i read a post  about corporate names and offices in calf about sending letters and not emails to???? Any help will be anonymously passed on.

Login to Me Too

HennyDoo
Contributor
Contributor
My husband & I run a small business. We do a lot of sales on Etsy, which goes thru Paypal. We have had out Paypal account for years. Last year our money was put on a "temporary hold" for three weeks. This seemed outrageous to us as loyal Paypal clients. We wrote letters and talked to customer reps and finally, after valuable time was consumed (which could have been used working), the hold was lifted & we have not had any problems since. Until yesterday. I went to transfer OUR money into our bank account, when lo & behold, we have a TEMPORARY HOLD placed on our account again. I spoke with a paypal rep ("Jill" who I'm sure was sitting over in India with not a care I'm the world about a small business trying to survive in America!) who told me I may need to update my PPal account...I stated it's already as up to date as it gets. She said I should start using Patpal/eBay shipping labels to track packages & once delivery is confirmed, money will be released. Many of my packages go first class if they are under the weight limit, which saves my customers $. I do not get a tracking number for first class mail, so this is not an option. We have done nothing wrong. I am very frustrated with Paypal. This is how they treat loyal customers in good standing?? This is NOT how we run our business. We need to use that money for supplies to make the goods our customers ordered, & can not wait THREE WEEKS for it to be "released". I will be going to the head of Paypal with this one. More of my precious time wasted. Thanks Paypal.
Login to Me Too

A_M_P55
Contributor
Contributor
Same thing happened to me! A few months ago they put my account on hold then finally lifted it after a couple weeks. Then today January 3rd they did it again!!! I even called them and they couldn't tell me why they put it on hold... I even had to explain to the lady in Asia what EBay was. I even called eBay to see if they could better assistant me and they told me there should be no reason my payments are on hold since I did nothing wrong.
Login to Me Too

printmidia
New Community Member

They held my money!

It's not fair for a seller, I make a sale and PayPal retain the money, especially now that is themonth of December, when to sell, this is very unfair, I believe that PayPal should also think about the sellers.

Printmidia

Login to Me Too

scadianwolf
Contributor
Contributor

They did the same thing to me!  Then they sent this email:" If you have a problem with limited access to your account, you'll need to:
1. Go to the PayPal website and log in to your PayPal account. 2. Click "Resolution Center" at the top of the page. 3. Follow the instructions in "Steps to Remove Limitations." 

but there is no "steps to remove limitations" tab!  They have not given me any reason for this. I have no disputes and 100% positive feedback on eBay. I think this is an illegal way to get interest on money they hold for three weeks for no reason.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.