PayPal is forcing me to exchange my US dollar balance for euros

USDcountry
Contributor
Contributor

Hello everyone!
I live in a small USD country and have almost 1000 USD in my PayPal account. I would like to use the US dollar balance with my US Google Wallet to make purchases from merchants or transfer it to my US debit card or US checking account. PayPal prevents both. When I use Google Wallet for a touch payment at merchants in USD, PayPal always does a currency exchange from USD to Euro with PayPal's usual (unbelievable!) surcharge of four to five percent. I don't want to pay this surcharge, 2 percent would be okay!
USD online purchases are not possible here as retailers do not ship to this small country. And when I'm in Europe, I can only pay in EUR again.
When I try to transfer my US dollar balance to my US checking account, I suddenly no longer see the transfer option from the PayPal balance on Xoom, even though it was previously displayed on PayPal with a fee.
The transfer to a US debit card is also prevented with various cards telling me that the card number is invalid.
Support requests only yield the answers that it's due to Google Wallet, which can't be true since I use a USD wallet, and Xoom doesn't answer at all several times!
Does anyone know about an option to get my USD that I may have missed with NO forced currency exchange?
Thanks for the help,
Rolf

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@USDcountry 

I live in a small USD country 

You have a GERMAN registered paypal account ???

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

USDcountry
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I am German and have a German-registered PayPal account, but this should not matter, I have a USD balance in this account and need to transfer it to my USD bank account. In the USD country where I am right now, PayPal does not offer fully working accounts, here you cannot receive money in PayPal accounts.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@USDcountry 

Well it only matters because you said you lived in a country where the local currency was USD???

I live in a small USD country 

whereas you live in a Euro currency country instead.

If you are meaning you are not in Germany at the moment then that could be an issue.

Paypal is country specific and you can only use it in the country where you live and it is registered.

If you try and use it internationally the it won't work properly and may end up being limited.

Also countries differ on what they can and can't accept country to country so if you are in a country that can't receive funds or has some limitations then your account would not be able to bypass those country limitations.

Secondly you can only withdraw in local currency to that account or the opening currency of your registered paypal account.

The exception is you can withdraw to a U.S bank account if you have one as paypal allows you to add a U.S bank account to most countries paypal accounts. HOWEVER that U.S bank account must be one opened in the U.S and not a digital / virtual bank like Wise or Payoneer. The bank would have had to have been linked and confirmed to your paypal account.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

USDcountry
Contributor
Contributor

I'm happy to live in a world where I no longer have to travel far to shops and wait days for catalogs in the mail. I can open a WISE account on the computer and have a checking account in the US and Britain straight away. I do not receive my USD from the US and pay taxes on my entire world income in the country where I currently live.
I would like to finally transfer my USD balance, which I have in my German PayPal account for months now, to my USD account at WISE because I receive over 3% interest there, which of course I also pay tax on.
PayPal never intended to be the Money Police Of The World, so I can only think of two reasons why PayPal prevents this transfer: 1. WISE is a very unpleasant free competitor to PayPal. 2. PayPal wants to earn a lot of extra money through this currency exchange surcharge of 4–5 percent, which is unique in the industry; around 2 percent would be normal!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@USDcountry 

As i said withdrawals to bank accounts are in LOCAL currency.

As i said paypal does not support virtual/digital banks like Wise and Payoneer.

Whatever you want to do or believe with the information given is up to you.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

USDcountry
Contributor
Contributor

I need help, please!

PayPal allowed me to receive USD in my German account and keeps it separately. 

How can I transfer the USD without a currency exchange?

Has no one an idea?

Anyone with similar experiences?

Login to Me Too

USDcountry
Contributor
Contributor

I need help, please!

PayPal allowed me to receive USD in my German account and keeps it separately. 

How can I transfer the USD without a currency exchange?

Has no one an idea?

Anyone with similar experiences?

Login to Me Too

mastix
New Community Member

O have the same question. 

Also when I receive funds in dollars they get converted automatically from Dollars to Euros and I DO NOT want that. I am really dissatisfied with Paypal service.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.