i was scammed and paypal dont want to help

Megzzzz1981
Contributor
Contributor

i was scammed by an IQ test website called Brainety.

after i bought the test results, one month later they charged me for $79.8 for renewal of brain games that i never singed for.

i opened a case with PAY PAL providing all evidence that i never singed up for this, i even provided FACEBOOK search results showing that many people were scammed the same way from the same website.

to my surprise, PAY PAL closed the case by denying my refund, and i am even unable to contest that.

PLEASE HELP !!!

Login to Me Too
59 REPLIES 59

tuesdae666
Contributor
Contributor

I got a notification after 7 days that they had charged me 89.90 and immediately double checked all my email receipts and invoices. None of them showed a recurring transaction. Within 5 mins I had gone on thr brainety main site and cancelled my membership. I believe there's a hidden component that by agreeing to pay the initial one time amount, you're agreeing to a subscription. But it's not shown. Within 15 mins I had lodged a case with PayPal. They closed the case without bothering to reply to me. I disputed it, they reopened it and then closed it again by saying they found nothing wrong with this transaction. If by agreeing to pay anything, merchants can want only charge us without our knowledge then how can any of us use this platform safely? Better just to use our credit cards and at least we can raise our disputes directly with our issuing banks rather than this lame organisation. 

Login to Me Too

wahyumuliady

Hi bro/sis, I also get the same problem, now been sending email to their customer care... this is outrageous... If this can't be done "politely", I swear I'll create tons of havoc for both the brainety & paypal.

Login to Me Too

Evodriva
Contributor
Contributor

Exactly the same with me and so many others. I don't know why PayPal won't address this, it's an obvious scam. I didn't even have enough funds in my Paypal account and PayPal still let the payment proceed. They then after me lodging a dispute and being instantly dismissed took money from my bank account without authorisation. I have gone through all my communications with Brainety and there was definitely no contract for a subscription and no information on the subscription until after they charged me a week later, which was when I was first made aware of this. The only invoice I received was for a purchase of an IQ test which simply was a single line item not stating anything about a subscription. I also still have no contract that says I have signed up for a subscription. I now can't contact PayPal to continue my dispute or take it further. I'm trying to resolve it with Brainety but they are avoiding the obvious.

Login to Me Too

qaniel
New Community Member
It’s simple, no so long ago PayPal had a lock account so you couldn’t be charged like this… they removed it. Now this kinds of companies that scam like this under the table recurrent payment pops into existence and PayPal is not helping you… for me they are the same or at least in bed with each other. I wouldn’t be surprised if this comment is removed or I get banned
Login to Me Too

eFLASH
Contributor
Contributor
As it seems, PayPal which evidently is earning from this scam, meaning they are encouraging this behavior. I think we should all sue them both in a class suit. What do you think? We need someone from the US who can pick up the glove...
Login to Me Too

BigBadHoward
New Community Member

I got scammed also. Paypal closed the case without contacting me. Brainety offered me a 50% refund but when I asked for it they withdrew the offer. So today I raise the case with Barclays. Its definitely high level corruption with Paypal. The thing is to find out where their executives are travelling and pelt them with eggs and tomatoes.

They deserve it!

Login to Me Too

Frank-Bemelman
Contributor
Contributor
Yes, Brainety is a total scam and Paypal isn't any better being their payment provider. Brainetys account should be frozen, and the balance be used to refund all customers. It is raining complaints about brainety on all review sites arond the globe. Paypals customer protection is a joke. They are stone deaf and only reply in script language, probably AI generated. I will not give up. Paypal, get your act together!!!
Login to Me Too

olisak78
Contributor
Contributor

This happened to me too. I used their IQ test and they demanded payment of only $2.16, which I paid. However, a week later they suddenly charged me with additional $38.80, for "subscription renewal", which I never did. I opened a case with Paypal, but they denied refund.

Login to Me Too

Nbdw1936
Contributor
Contributor

I have opened a case with the ACCC, heard nothing so far.  

Login to Me Too

Evodriva
Contributor
Contributor

I'm about to do the same thing and also report it all to scamwatch. This is out of control. This is the beginning of the end of PayPal too, their stocks are taking a hit and this disgusting attitude towards their customers will soon bite.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.