email recd with invoice for unauthorised bitcoin transaction

Brampton2
New Community Member

i have received an email advising my online transaction with paypal for bitcoin for US$426.49 - this isnt showing on my account at all - i cant see how i can contact paypal to advise this is unathorised by myself but there is no help for this topic, i cant seem to get to talk with someone.  Help!

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Brampton2 

Sounds like a common spoof especially as its not showing in your paypal account so NEVER USE ANY LINK OR ANY PHONE NUMBER.

Firstly if the email/text addressed you as ''Dear Member'' / ''Customer'' / ''Client'' OR your ''email address'' then that confirms its a spoof as paypal would address you by your full name eg Dear John Smith.

Secondly if there was a link OR attachment in that email/text to ''cancel'' any transaction or ''confirm'' any details then again it would be a spoof.

Also if they ask you to call the number in the email then it would be fake paypal agents trying to scam you for money to 'fix' something. 

If there was a problem with your account Paypal would not ask you to click on an unsafe link in an email / download an attachment OR phone them on a number in an email, they would direct you to log in normally and go to the resolution or the message centre for more information.

More info here >>
https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/how-do-i-spot-and-report-a-fake%2C-fraudulent%2C-or-phis...
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/security/suspicious-activity

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Sawborisd2
Contributor
Contributor
I got the same email with 653 dollar for bitcoin which I didn't buy should I do something or let it go!
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Sawborisd2 

Did you read my above post?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Sawborisd2
Contributor
Contributor
I did but I saw some said to ignore it! I don't see any transaction on my PayPal account though! But yeah I did read your comment.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

Hi everyone! Thanks for visiting PayPal's Community Forum. I can understand how receiving this kind of notification can be a bit confusing. Thank you @kernowlass for your help on this thread so far. 

@Sawborisd2, welcome! Thank you for providing that additional information. If you do not see a transaction on your PayPal activity like the one referenced in the email, it's most likely that email was not from PayPal. Here's a great Help Center article on How to spot fake, fraudulent, or phishing PayPal emails or websites. 

I hope that helps!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.