Scamming seller used fake tracking number, PayPal automatically sides with scammer, twice.

Dimeron
Contributor
Contributor

Here is what happened. eBay seller sends out a fake package with speedpak tracking number. The item is send to my city in Canada, but not to my address on file. I have confirmed this with Canada Post. I open up a claim, and after few days, I was informed PayPal ruled in favor of the seller. Apparently, according to PayPal agent, as long as there is a tracking number that shows something has been delivered to the same Canadian city, PayPal will automatically side with the seller. Actual address is NOT checked, item is considered delivered as long as it is the same city. So I appeal, and provide my communications with Canada post, along with explicit request to get proof from seller that the item is shipped to my PayPal address on file. 12 hours later, I got the exact same message again, PayPal ruled in sellers favor because tracking shows the item has been delivered to my city. There are no new seller response in the case, and apparently none of my messages or evidence is even looked at. Now I need to spend even more time to call up paypal tommorow, and possibly just have the same thing happen again. (I.e have my evidence ignored and case automatically dismissed). How do I deal with this? Can I get someone at PayPal to actually look at my evidence and get proof of correct delivery from the seller, or should I just go do a credit card charge back. Thanks.

Login to Me Too
158 REPLIES 158

Temp20210518c
Contributor
Contributor

Alright, I made a purchase on ebay using paypal, I was given a tracking number by the scammer, the tracking number was in my local area, I don't know how the scammer gets that number but all has been resolved with paypal, I got my refund! When using ebay and paypal I found the buyer needs to go through ebay first and the refund can be by them more easily. Then, if necessary go to paypal and don't give up, talking with a paypal rep will work, if necessary then go to the bank but I didn't need to go to my bank, paypal listened after first denying my refund. I will be using paypal again with confidence and continue buying on ebay too, don't give up!

Login to Me Too

cdpipe
Contributor
Contributor

My transaction was through a website (advertised on Facebook) selling Lego sets that used Paypal for payment processing. The website went down shortly after ordering, so I couldn't check on my order or confirm some facts. This has some of the same hallmarks, though.

1. No transaction email

2. No response to emailed queries

3. When I opened a case with Paypal, the vendor provided a bogus USPS tracking number that showed a delivery to my ZIP code

4. Paypal closed the case with no recourse since "proof of delivery" was provided

Mine was in 7 separate transactions since the web site only let me order one thing a time (red flag, in retrospect) so I guess I'll have to file 7 chargebacks with my credit card company since Paypal doesn't want to deal with the scammers.

Collectively, I think next steps are in order to escalate this and get a policy change at Paypal. I suspect that will only come from some sort of class action or regulatory enforcement.

Login to Me Too

Jstarr2
Contributor
Contributor

Goo for you. Same situation with my transaction. Visa credit card credited my account for full amount. Lesson learned 1- be extremely cautious with Facebook ads especially if it sounds too good to be true and 2- never assume PayPal will protect you. They won’t.

Login to Me Too

nyspeeds
New Community Member

Hello, I wanted to share my experience and how I successfully got my refund for a scammer that used a fake website and tracking number this week.

First of, I made the stupid purchase on May 18th, 2021 - just this week. Today, the 21st, I had the case closed in my favor and got the refund. This required me to follow up on my case for not receiving the product I ordered just twice this week.

I suspected I fell for a common scam within an hour of buying a product from a fake website, so I called my bank to let them know I just got myself scammed, in case the scammer was intending to start pulling my money from my account through my debit number. They remain on alert, but also noted that I can call in to dispute the transaction as services/products not provided.

I opened the case with paypal, and called an agent to explain what happened. That way, I was following the paypal process but also speaking to a person about the scam. I did not have any trouble getting to an agent during normal business hours, I put myself in the call back queue and they called within 15 minutes. Paypal contacted the seller about my dispute and yesterday night Paypal sent me an alert on my case that the seller provided a tracking number showing they had delivered something to a PO Box at my Post Office. I do not have a PO Box and the product I ordered was way bigger than an envelope, at least 50 pounds. This is the part of the scam where they try to exploit Paypal's process to get a case closed in their favor -- they shipped something and it was delivered -- but not to my address. The paypal alert required that I respond to this status - there was an option to choose tracking number invalid that I clicked on and submitted my response. You have to do this! If you don't, the case may be closed in a matter of days in their favor. This morning, as soon as customer care opened, I called and let them know that the scammed continued and that the USPS delivery confirmation meant nothing. They had sent an envelope not my heavy product. Long story short, I was refunded and was assured that the seller account would be investigated. Perfect! I got my refund and hopefully the seller will at least lose this account.

Also the super nice agent told me that Paypal has put in place an extra validation step in these cases where if the seller sends the package anywhere but the address you provided, they will flag the transaction and keep investigating. The package has to match the weight of what you ordered and so on.

I felt pretty stupid falling for what turned out to be a common scam that has been around for a long time and that the seller would win by exploiting what they think is a paypal loophole. I was able to resolve it with Paypal in less than 5 days with two very pleasant conversations. Scammers count on you not following up, and even though I jumped on it, I doubt that it would have gone any other way if I had waited a bit hoping to get what I ordered.

Hope this helps someone else.

Login to Me Too

cdpipe
Contributor
Contributor

Could you elaborate on how you reached a human and got them to do any work? Your example sounds like it comes from a script of how Paypal would like to be perceived. My cases were closed within an hour of the scammer providing a fake tracking number with no way to provide ongoing information or rebuttal. It was the same USPS tracking number, used for multiple transactions. As it was a USPS number, you can't see the address - just that it was delivered to my ZIP code. The tracking number did show that the package originated from an Amazon warehouse - that alone should be a red flag!

Login to Me Too

bigal56
Contributor
Contributor

At the very bottom of the transactions page is a 'contact us' link. Send an email through there. Explain you are the victim of a FAKE TRACKING SCAM and furnish your evidence. In my case I attached a screenshot of the USPS tracking that showed the package was shipped 2 days before I ordered.

Once I sent that info in a person, or at least I think it was a person, emailed me back, apologized, and credited back the scammed amount.

Good Luck, AL.

Login to Me Too

Bobfancher
Contributor
Contributor

despite a mountain of evidence, fake seller won both the dispute and the appeal.  even tough his tracking # showed something arriving in my city the day before i placed my order on fake  website.  Without comment, a few months later they credited my account.  i figured someone hit them with a class action

Login to Me Too

PeRmWaZe
Contributor
Contributor

Same thing just happened to me. Ive been buying stuff and using places like eBay for over 10 years and I consider myself pretty tech savvy and usually do all the checks before making purchases. But I hopped on the FB marketplace for the first time and saw a phone for a good price and decided to buy it. Boy was that a 500 dollar mistake. I figured when it said Buyer Protection I was in the clear. One of those well if I get it then that's great and if I don't then it should be a quick refund. But no. Immediately after buying the phone I see another user post the same listing with the same pictures, so I message the seller and get nothing back. So I go back to the purchase and I realize the tracking they provided already says the item was delivered but marked 3 days before I even made the purchase. So I go to FB to dispute the purchase and wait a few minutes. Course I was very upset at this point so I decided to go to Paypal as well. I figured why not get both of them involved. I make a claim to Paypal that I didnt receive the item which was about the only thing that I can even choose as there wasn't an option for this specific scenario. Then I told them what happened and posted 2 screenshots showing when I made the purchase and that the tracking says its already shipped and dated 3 days prior.

Then suddenly FB messages me back and says we see you made a claim with your bank so you will get your money back, we cannot help you, this case is closed. CLOSED? So now I have no way of disputing this purchase again on FB. It literally says my item doesn't qualify for Buyer Protection anymore... In fact that response magically disappeared from my support page so I cant even see it or take a photo of it. I cant even see the tracking number for my purchase unless Im on my phone either. Its like FB literally just hid everything and closed shop. So much for freaking Buyer Protection! This is the first and last time Im using this pos site.  Now the seller's account is gone and I'm stuck waiting for Paypal to respond. I really thought the bogus tracking showing the item had delivered 3 days before I made the purchase would have been an instant red flag and I woulda got my money back the next day. Never had an issue with Paypal before. They usually always have done me right. But its been several days now and I'm starting to realize from what everybody else is saying that I am SOL and shouldn't even bother waiting this out any longer. Thankfully I made the purchase with my bank card so I'm about to file a charge back once I figure out how...

Login to Me Too

Jstarr2
Contributor
Contributor
Don’t even waste your time with pay pal or fb. Good thing you used your credit card. Submit your documents and file with your cc. Visa quickly refunded my dispute. Always assured pay pal covered me nope never using them again.
Login to Me Too

jlwhitha
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same issue, they somehow found a house near me that was getting a delivery and sent it to me. I was all over the post office, but they showed me the parcel had been delivered to another address, and was, in fact correctly done so. I was refused help on the first contact and they closed the case. I went to their Facebook page and opened a chat where I could try and explain what had happened. I actually had proof the parcel had been delivered correctly to the other address.  It has to be an inside job, or Russians have hacked the Post office. I say Russians, as the email address used in their PayPal was a Russian one.  I few days later my money was refunded. The site is still up, and they are still offering PayPal sales.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.