My account had unauthorized transactions but how to catch the criminal?

Dazzzz
New Community Member

Reported unauthorized transactions and a PayPal case determined it was unauthorized. The hacker even added their bank account to deposit funds. However, the PayPal case was closed in my flavor and appears to be no further action on this. Will PayPal report the details to local police? Will this progress further? I'd like to see the hacker get caught. Paypal have their bank details, IP, etc so will this progress further?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @Dazzzz

Thank you for your post and for joining and participating in the PayPal Community Forum!

I understand the inclination to want to see justice done when you've experienced the frustration and inconvenience of unauthorized activity. While I can't discuss the methods by which PayPal investigates fraud or the extent to which it is investigated, I can offer you the insight that it's rarely as cut and dried as the fraudster using a bank account that is registered in their own name. The layers of stolen information can be extensive. 

PayPal ensures the protection of its customers when there is unauthorized activity, and employs risk and fraud prevention measures to help stop fraud before it starts in many situations. In addition to the protection that PayPal offers, you can also help keep yourself protected by choosing a strong and unique password, reporting suspicious emails, and watching out for common scams

I hope this information is helpful!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.