Is the seller responsible for porch pirates?

reifsnyderb
Contributor
Contributor

As a seller, I shipped out an item to a customer.  The customer claimed he didn't receive the item.  He checked his security camera and saw it was stolen off of his porch.  USPS tracking showed the item was delivered.  The customer contacted USPS, they investigated, and gave him a letter confirming they showed it as delivered.  The customer sent me a copy of this letter.  USPS also refused an insurance claim on the item as they have it recorded as delivered.  So, the customer waits 121 days and files a dispute with me.  USPS deletes the tracking information after 120 days.  I spend a couple hours putting together all of my evidence.  My evidence includes screenshots of messages showing the customer knew the item was delivered and then stolen by a porch pirate.  I also included the USPS letter, to the customer, showing the item was delivered.  PayPal waits a month, rules against me, and then charges me an extra $15 because they had to handle a dispute.  I guess PayPal now supports theft and making the seller pay for said theft.  Short of hiring an attorney, which would be ridiculous over $123.00, is there a way to appeal or does PayPal support this theft???   (I haven't found any way for a seller to appeal.)  Allowing people to file disputes after USPS removes the tracking information only supports this type of fraud. 

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

reifsnyderb
Contributor
Contributor

No answer???   It sounds like sellers are responsible until the buyer says otherwise and supports this idea.  In other words, if you want to get free stuff, pay through PayPal and wait 121 days.  Once USPS deletes the tracking, claim you didn't receive the item and have PayPal force a full refund.  PayPal is apparently supporting this.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.