How do I appeal a closed case? I was scammed out of money and want a refund

usercustomer1
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, Im curious to know whether I can appeal a closed case again, with additional information that would hopefully sway it so I can get a refund? I was scammed by a user on discord who claimed to be discord support, and they had me sending a fee to them on paypay. I tried reporting the transaction to paypal, but they closed it by stating it wasn't unauthorized. Im hoping that I can appeal the case again as I have additional proof pertaining the fraud in the form of a video, but paypal doesn't seems to allow me to appeal the case again yet. I hope this can be resolved soon and I can recover some of my money back, thank you.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@usercustomer1 

A friends / family (or gift payment) is intended as a transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.
However as it is a gift payment, there is also no buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.

If he was not a close mate or family member you should never use that option as it enables the seller to evade paying his Paypal fees and negates your buyer protection at the same time.

You would also not be able to open a dispute (apart from one citing an unauthorised transaction), which would be automatically closed as you did authorise the initial payment.

Be careful as using that option for purchasing goods is against Paypal rules and can lead to account limitation.

If you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card then contact your card issuer and see if they will help you but unfortunately they may decline as well as it was a gift payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@usercustomer1 

You were conned yes but it still would not be unauthorised as it was you that sent the funds from your IP address.

Your paypal account was not hacked or breached so any unauthorised dispute would auto close.

However if you want to try an appeal contact customer services.
https://www.paypal.com/cshelp/article/how-do-i-contact-paypal-customer-service--HELP378

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

usercustomer1
Contributor
Contributor

I see. I guess I'll try to contact customer services. If you don't mind, can you advise me on what is the correct option I should select for my case? It's my first time checking out these options so I'm concerned I might select the wrong issue and cause more complications. From what I can tell, I think I will try to email customer service on mobile, and I'll pair it with my video proof so that there is higher chances I will get my money back. Im not sure if what calling them would entail, as I've never tried it before and Im not from an english-speaking country.

I hope you can further assist me in this matter, thank you. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@usercustomer1 

Unfortunately paypal don't consider evidence in the form of videos or text messages etc.

If you were contacting the fake Discord c.s. for help then it would be ''service not received'' maybe?

You can open that dispute as long as you paid using goods/services and not friends/family.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

usercustomer1
Contributor
Contributor

Dammit, I paid using friends/family because they told me to do that and I believed them!

Does that mean Im **bleep** and can't afford to get a refund anymore? That'll be terrible!

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@usercustomer1 

A friends / family (or gift payment) is intended as a transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.
However as it is a gift payment, there is also no buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.

If he was not a close mate or family member you should never use that option as it enables the seller to evade paying his Paypal fees and negates your buyer protection at the same time.

You would also not be able to open a dispute (apart from one citing an unauthorised transaction), which would be automatically closed as you did authorise the initial payment.

Be careful as using that option for purchasing goods is against Paypal rules and can lead to account limitation.

If you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card then contact your card issuer and see if they will help you but unfortunately they may decline as well as it was a gift payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

usercustomer1
Contributor
Contributor

Well that's just awful to hear. Seems like the scammer has really thought through everything so they can get away with people's money.

I suppose I really can't get back any of my money then, what a shame : (

I suppose that's the end of my inquiry about this subject, I appreciate you taking your time to explain these matters for me.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.