Unauthorized Invoice from First Home Services

SFDonovan
Contributor
Contributor

Email generated by Paypal was the following

First Home Services sent you an invoice for $249.99 USD

R [removed]

Thank you for Choosing First Home Services. As Requested By You, We have activated First Home Services for you. We will do auto-charge every month to your account. If You are still not interested, You can cancel this service by calling us at [Removed. Phone #s not permitted]with in 24 hours after receiving this email. We have activated this service as requested by you. Calling at [Removed. Phone #s not permitted]

I made no such request.  Tried to report to Paypal and they said ...

"We’re sorry, you can’t file a case on this type of transaction. Please refer to our User Agreement for more details."

Called the number and just new this was a scam.  Some foreign sounding dude asked me to press the Windows Key and letter "R" together to run some command.

Nope...not gonna do that.  Why wasn't Paypal helpful at all?  What should I do next?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

aboud89
New Community Member

I had the same thing but was able to cancel the invoice by going on Paypal website instead of app, then click on activity and under the invoice you should see a cancel button.

These invoice requests cannot auto charge your account, you must authorise and pay yourself. if you check your account the amount would be pending not actually charged.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
22 REPLIES 22

PayPal_JonK

Hello @SFDonovan,

Welcome to the PayPal Community! I'm sorry to hear you're running into some issues reporting an unauthorized transaction on your account. I'd recommend reaching out to our Customer Support teams by clicking "Contact" at the bottom of any PayPal page for further assistance. They're also available through Twitter direct message or Facebook instant message. 

Best wishes!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

miles999
New Community Member

This also just happened to me.  I monitor my accounts very closely and know exactly what is coming in and going out.  People should be aware that with the current global situation more of this activity is coming.  Please do this:

Be vigilant on all your accounts.

Scammers are very convincing now and the emails can look flawless.

NEVER click on any link in a legitimate looking whereby you are not sure of the charge, your gut is usually right.

Do Not call any number listed on said email.

Verify any info by logging on to your vendor's website(PC is best) where the email is trying to get you to click.

PayPal, fortunately forces you to approve any invoice, unless you have previously supplied the appropriate credentials for payment.

Keyword search is also helpful as I typed in "First Home Services paypal"  and was promptly directed here where it was easy to verify it was indeed a scammer.

Remember, it's your money!  Don't stop digging for the truth at first resistance, keep plugging away.

Contact the Fraud department of your vendor, hopefully they can be of assistance.

In my case I printed the invoice so I had a record of it.  The individual listed on it is:  R [removed]

Login to Me Too

Kubwa
Contributor
Contributor
I just received the first home services email scam, but I also recently been getting numerous email,text and phone scams since Russia invaded to Ukraine. I'm thinking Putin have given the Russian scammers free reign to go after us.
Login to Me Too

Merc59
Contributor
Contributor
Hi. This just happened to me today as well. I don't want to close my account. At least not yet. I have made PayPal balance my default payment which has no balance. Hope this helps. Patrick
Login to Me Too

daveburton99
New Community Member

I just canceled the invoice from the web interface and the transaction is now marked canceled.

Login to Me Too
Solved

aboud89
New Community Member

I had the same thing but was able to cancel the invoice by going on Paypal website instead of app, then click on activity and under the invoice you should see a cancel button.

These invoice requests cannot auto charge your account, you must authorise and pay yourself. if you check your account the amount would be pending not actually charged.

Login to Me Too

SFDonovan
Contributor
Contributor

If I went to Recent Activity and go straight to the event I don't see the cancel button.  Had to click Activity from the top menu to go to the activities page where I could see the "Cancel" button.  Odd.

Login to Me Too

Mark_AMT
Contributor
Contributor

Just got the same, but to an e-mail that I don't even have a PayPal account for. Someone can go eff themselves.  

Login to Me Too

Dragonne
Thank you. This helped me immensely. I was so confused wondering why I couldn't see the cancel button even on my desktop
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.