Send PayPal a picture of amazon gift card

smorrid
Contributor
Contributor

Why did PayPal say I needed to go buy a 200$ amazon gift card and then send them a picture of it? Just to receive the funds for an item that I've already shipped and it's sent? Anyone else get emails like this? It's ridiculous, I just want the money that I'm owed, I'm feeling pretty cheated right about now. @PayPal_EJ @PayPal_BJ @PayPal_Jae @PayPal_Roy @PayPal_Jo 

Login to Me Too
13 REPLIES 13

smorrid
Contributor
Contributor

Ok.... Thank you!

Login to Me Too
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@smorrid 

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/what-are-common-scams-and-how-do-i-spot-them-faq3176

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/how-to-spot-fake%2C-fraudulent%2C-spoof%2C-or-phishing-e...

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/all-about-fake-emails-or-websites-faq695

Gift card scams are one of the fairly newer scams so its not in the help docs at the time these were written.

Also file report at ic3.gov

You're welcome, hope you can recover your item.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

MDada
New Community Member
Hello,i had the same problem in the morning today!a sell a piece of furniture,and buyer ask me to buy amazon card for delivery for50f!i have send the code from amazon card to paypal.when i done it ,paypal and the buyer ask me if can buy another card for 100 pound for a courier insurance 🙈it was wired beacuse i still don’t have any money from the buyer on my paypal account!i’ve paid £50from my bank account 🙈what to do now?how can i get my money back???
Login to Me Too

ChinwezeA
Contributor
Contributor

I just advertised my scooter on gumtree for sale received this message on gumtree from a “Jason” about 5mins later saying: Please send (e-mail address) with condition and price she’s my mum. I then emailed “her” and got this reply: Thank you for getting back to me. My son read and understand your Ad right and Can you assure me that i will not be disappointed buying it. I'm ready to pay your asking price,but i just want you to assure me very well on this and the issue is that I'm very busy for now and am not around but i have a pick up agent coming for the pick up after the payment has been made to you and he will be present for all necessary thing that is needed. Due to my job, there is strictly no call that is why i ask my son to send you an email our satellite server has been down due to work. But I'm able to access my mail anytime as i will make use of wireless laptop.i have gone through your advertisement and i am satisfied with it My Mode of payment is via PayPal as as i don't have access to my bank account online, but i have it attached to my PayPal account and this is why i insisted on using PayPal to pay. I will be responsible for all the PayPal fee/charges on this transaction and , if you don't have an account with PayPal, its pretty easy, safe and secured to open one.Just log on to <removed> i hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible.I have a mover that will be coming for the pick up once payment clears and they will be handling the title for me. So i look forward to hear from you soon. Please get back to me with your Full Name: PayPal E-Mail Address: Firm price: Phone Number. I replied “her” with my details and “she” sent: Thanks, i got the PayPal email now and i will be sending the payment now but i wish to inform you that i would be adding an extra £50.00 GBP to the £300.00 GBP am sending into your PayPal account, which is for the charged pickup fee for the pick up company to register the (Item) for pickup, so you'll help me send it to the shipping company agent via Amazon Gift Card after the payment confirmation... I will appreciate your help here. As soon as i made the payment PayPal will notify you as well and the total amount i will be sending now will be £350.00 GBP okay? I didn’t understand but was hungry for the 300 so I said ok they replied: Hello, i have completed the payment of £350 and i expected PayPal to have notified you about this so kindly check your paypal email address inbox or spam folder now if the emails happens not to to show up in spam folder let me know if you have been notified yet because i have gotten mine and i read and understand the email are for you to read to complete the sale and get the money. At this point I didn’t know it was a scam I was just frustrated that I had to pay to get my money when the only reason I was selling was cos I’m broke . They replied You are to go to any shop or store around you to purchase the Amazon gift card out of your pocket upfront and email it to PayPal with the receipt. Total payment of £350.00 will be credited immediately. Please follow PayPal instructions and rules to complete this transaction. Scratch the claim code carefully and take a photo of it together with the receipt forward it to PayPal for them to credit the total payment without any delay. You can purchase the Amazon Gift Card card at any of these outlets. ASDA Co-op Martin McColls (MRG) Morissons Tesco Wilkinsons At this point I came on PayPal and typed in send PayPal a picture of Amazon gift card just to see if I could get a cheaper option or courier and as fate will have it I got redirected to this forum… only then did I realise I almost fell for a scammer. Sorry for the essay but someone needs to read this.. trust me I’m street smart but I was gullible to the end had I not sought help on PayPal for alternatives. I hope you’re as lucky as me!!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.