Paypal Closed Dispute

tcm407
Contributor
Contributor

I ordered an item on Facebook and as soon as I placed the order I found out it was a scam. I immediately asked Paypal to cancel the payment but it took them over an hour to get to it so the payment had already gone though at that time. I then opened a dispute stating that this seller is a scam. They contacted the seller and the seller provided them with a bogus tracking number and showed the item had already been delivered to my house which in the two days this took place, it had not. The Post Office does not show the tracking number in their system. Paypal closed the dispute and will not allow me to reopen it because they are satisfied that they received tracking info from the seller. I find this to be very unprofessional that they just closed the dispute and didn't check with me first to find out of I had really received the item. What can I do at this point. They will not allow me to open a new dispute on this same transaction.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

worriedmama
Contributor
Contributor

@tcm407  Unfortunately in my experience PayPal is not very good at handling these scam disputes. I just has to go thru this with them.

What you need to do is open a service request with USPS at this address https://emailus.usps.com/s/package-inquiry 

The post office carrier center will call you and tell you where the 'package' went. You need to ask them to give you a print out of the transaction history. You will have to go pick it up from there. It will show the address it was sent to and the weight and size of the package. 

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do NOT go to the address listed on the transaction history and try to ask for the package it is against the law and you could get arrested if it is a valid address. 

Scan the transaction history into a PDF (Go to an office supply store and they can help you do it if you cannot do it yourself). 

Once you have that log into your PayPal ON YOUR PC. Doesn't work on the phone. Click on the Bell icon and start a new message. You will have to deal with the ridiculous bot till it realizes that you need an agent to get involved. Use the paper clip icon to attach the PDF you got from the post office. PayPal will then maybe issue you a refund.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

Romeacresdarm
Contributor
Contributor
Hi, this happened to me as well. My carrier never delivered and my postmaster tracked it, it was actually an Amazon package addressed to someone else in my town. I believe an Amazon employee may be either selling the tracking info or is actually in on the scam
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@tcm407 

@Romeacresdarm 

Paypal is just a payment processor that gives you 'some' buyer and 'some' seller protection.
So disputes for non receipt of item are mostly automated. Seller provides tracking that shows delivery = seller wins.
So then its your turn to do some work to assist Paypal in recovering your purchase price from your seller.

Firstly ring customer services and tell them that the number is fake or that the item was shown as shipped before you purchased it. With that information they may well just issue you a refund.

Secondly if they don't then... APPEAL
To submit an appeal on the dispute that was closed, PayPal asks that you obtain a detailed report from the shipper/courier (on their letterhead or some other form of official stationary) that includes the address the seller gave them for the shipment. Or one that includes a statement mentioning your address and saying the item was delivered to a different address. THEY DON'T HAVE TO SAY WHICH ADDRESS IT WAS SENT TO, JUST THAT IT WAS NOT DELIVERED TO YOUR ADDRESS.

Check tracking in below link to see where it went.
https://www.17track.net/en

When you have that, contact PayPal via phone (log on to your account and click contact at the bottom of the page, or via Facebook (send a Private Message to PayPal) or via Twitter (send a Direct Message to @AskPayPal) and say you want to appeal the denial of the dispute based on the shipper saying the item was delivered to a different address. Once it's submitted (you will be provided with directions on how to do that), the dispute will be reviewed further and a determination will be made.

You also have the option to contact your card issuer if you funded your paypal payment that way and see if they will do a chargeback for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

tcm407
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you!

Login to Me Too
Solved

worriedmama
Contributor
Contributor

@tcm407  Unfortunately in my experience PayPal is not very good at handling these scam disputes. I just has to go thru this with them.

What you need to do is open a service request with USPS at this address https://emailus.usps.com/s/package-inquiry 

The post office carrier center will call you and tell you where the 'package' went. You need to ask them to give you a print out of the transaction history. You will have to go pick it up from there. It will show the address it was sent to and the weight and size of the package. 

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do NOT go to the address listed on the transaction history and try to ask for the package it is against the law and you could get arrested if it is a valid address. 

Scan the transaction history into a PDF (Go to an office supply store and they can help you do it if you cannot do it yourself). 

Once you have that log into your PayPal ON YOUR PC. Doesn't work on the phone. Click on the Bell icon and start a new message. You will have to deal with the ridiculous bot till it realizes that you need an agent to get involved. Use the paper clip icon to attach the PDF you got from the post office. PayPal will then maybe issue you a refund.

Login to Me Too

tcm407
Contributor
Contributor

WOW! Thank you so much for the info. Sorry you had to deal with this scam stuff too. 

Login to Me Too

Blondemom
New Community Member

We are going through the same exact thing right now but the post office says they can't give us the documents that PayPal requests because they aren't allowed to provide that information and that PayPal is actually part of that scam. They did give us a picture of the flat package with the tracking number as well as the address it was sent to but PayPal is still sending us through hoops to get a document we can't get. the post office had us file through their mail fraud and unite states mail services website so hopefully that provides some kind of resolution. It's really weird how PayPal built their business off of buyer and seller protection yet they refuse to do any of the work for people that have been scammed. They should be the ones that contact the post office for what they need with the tracking number instead of sending us to get something we cant get. Hopefully with enough of these mail fraud complaints, PayPal will be forced to refund everyone and be reprimanded for allowing these kinds of activities to take place. 

Login to Me Too

Kneledva
Contributor
Contributor
I've had exact same experience , I bought from facebook marketplace, website said it was a warehouse in Florida but as soon as I paid them I knew it was scam . Payment went to some Chinese fella . Opening dispute had same result as all of you guys did . Seller sent them a tracking number which showed delivered at my mailbox days after I paid the seller . That should have been their first clue and I have USPS account I can show that it couldn't possibly have been a box of tools , which got dropped off at my mailbox . I honestly got the impression PayPal was sweeping me under a rag like they were part of it . I wrote emails saying they are wrong to ask for seller to provide parcel details , since it was actually a lightweight box and it says so on my report. The guy actually gave them a tracking # of an item I had received the day before dispute got closed . How does a humb nuts from China obtain that number? And why does PayPal rule in his favour when it was me who filed that dispute. It was only 67 bucks but looks like there are quiet a few people with same exact story here. .. I'm gonna get my money back through bank but I'm going to write to PayPal as well . They are using false advertisement to scam their customers who trust them . And sooner or later they gonna sweep a wrong guy under the rug. Would love to read that news paper some day . Im still shocked that happened since I used PayPal payment because of their false advertisement . They should be put out of business but that's too much to hope for .
Login to Me Too

the1liver
Contributor
Contributor

I am going through the exact same thing right now.  Paid for an item.  Seller supposedly shipped it to me, they even gave me 2 different tracking numbers, and both of them show delivered to the same town I live in but not my address, UPS would not give me that information just told me not my name or address, and now Paypal ruled in favor of them.  Paypal is a **bleep** joke.  

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@the1liver 

Paypal is just a payment processor that gives you 'some' buyer and 'some' seller protection.
So disputes for non receipt of item are mostly automated. Seller provides tracking that shows delivery = seller wins.
So then its your turn to do some work to assist Paypal in recovering your purchase price from your seller.

Firstly ring Paypal customer services and tell them that the number is fake or that the item was shown as shipped before you purchased it. With that information they may well just issue you a refund.

Secondly if they don't then... APPEAL
To submit an appeal on the dispute that was closed, PayPal asks that you obtain a detailed report from the shipper/courier (on their letterhead or some other form of official stationary) that includes the address the seller gave them for the shipment. Or one that includes a statement mentioning your address and saying the item was delivered to a different address. THEY DON'T HAVE TO SAY WHICH ADDRESS IT WAS SENT TO, JUST THAT IT WAS NOT DELIVERED TO YOUR ADDRESS.

Check tracking in below link to see where it went.
https://www.17track.net/en

When you have that, contact PayPal via phone (log on to your account and click contact at the bottom of the page, or via Facebook (send a Private Message to PayPal) or via Twitter (send a Direct Message to @AskPayPal) and say you want to appeal the denial of the dispute based on the shipper saying the item was delivered to a different address. Once it's submitted (you will be provided with directions on how to do that), the dispute will be reviewed further and a determination will be made.

You also have the option to contact your card issuer if you funded your Paypal payment that way and see if they will do a chargeback for you?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.