How has paypal disputes become this terrible?

le457
Contributor
Contributor

Summary of my recent experience:
-Booked a hotel room via a booking site that had incorrect photos & descriptions for a different room type which couldn't accomodate everyone travelling (informed by hotel staff about this 1 hour later when confirming my booking)

-Called booking site immediately. Level 1 support refused a refund because of their no-cancel policy, regardless of incorrect photos.

-Thought this would be an open and shut case with paypal disputes. Had screenshots of the ad and a statement from the hotel confirming the photos were for a different room.
-Paypal rejects the dispute after a few days claiming "because the item is materially similar to the seller's description"??
-Higher up support from the booking site later came back apologising after having a look at the add saying it was misleading and issued a refund anyway

The hotel and even the merchant I was in a dispute with agreed a refund was warranted, but my own payment provider which advertises 'buyer protection' comes back with a rejection.
I asked for advice on another popular financial site with the thread blowing up and an overwhelming amount of replies sharing horror stories telling me to prepare for a rejection and advising me not to use my paypal account for future purchases/terminate it if possible.

Login to Me Too
14 REPLIES 14

le457
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass The dispute initially closed in the sellers favour so I called paypal staff and submitted an appeal. The booking support person sent an email at the same time saying they have processed a refund which will come through ofter my scheduled checkout date next month. Paypal support called a day layer saying the appeal was closed in my favour so I got my money back sooner. It's not rocket science and I have better things to do than making up stories on here unlike you. The point is all parties agreed to a refund because the ad was incorrectly setup and the fact that this entire process was like pulling teeth means my initial opinions about paypal's dispute process still stands.

You have provided nothing of value since the beginning of this thread and your comments are just borderline spam now, lol. Again, go 'help' these other victims of paypal lose their money since you couldn't help me lose mine 😉 . It's ok, you're human and you can be wrong too despite being an 'esteemed advisor'. I'm sorry your ego was hurt and you feel the need to get defensive now that I got my money back.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@le457 

🤣

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Colleen5225
New Community Member
This transaction was denied by my bank for fraudulent reasons
Login to Me Too

Colleen5225
New Community Member
I never booked a hotel room. This is fraud.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Bindu

Hello @Colleen5225,

Welcome to our community forum and thank you for your post!

I understand your concern about the unauthorized transaction in your account. Don’t worry, we offer full protection for confirmed unauthorized transactions. Please make sure to check if the suspicious activity wasn't from a family member using your PayPal account or from an automatic payment, such as a subscription before filing dispute. Please visit our page for more information to review and report the unauthorized transactions here : How do I report an unauthorized transaction or account activity

Once you've filed an unauthorized transaction dispute, we'll review and update you by 10 days. 

I hope this information helps!

Bindu

If you feel this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.