Advice about selling a car, recieving payment via paypal.

hasey
Contributor
Contributor

I'm selling my car (not on ebay) and have had someone offering to buy via paypal and send someone for collection. I know all about these scams where buyers say I'll pay with a bankers draft and add shipping fees and the seller has to sort it out with the shippers. I've always disregarded these and said cash on collection only but this one says he'll pay in full via paypal and arrange for someone to collect. I just want to know where I stand on the security of the payment. Do I have to wait any particular time for it to clear? Can he cancel payment once cleared or request a refund?

You hear so many scams going on I just want to be sure, I'm already dubious due to the fact he's saying he'll send someone else to collect. Or am I just best sticking to my guns and demanding cash on collection? Please help.

Login to Me Too
407 REPLIES 407

SGServ

I advertised a motorcycle on BMWMOA website.  Got his scam response.  Sound familiar?

Good to hear back from you, i work with Baker Hughes Process and Pipeline Services (offshore oil and gas platforms) at this moment i am presently working offshore i wont be able to check the bike am buying this for my brother as a surprise gift so am willing to offer you the amount you requested, sometimes access to regular emails and phone calls are very poor in offshore due to inefficiency of phone and internet connections, more so we are often constrain from accessing the internet or making phone calls, i insisted on PayPal because i don't have access to my bank account online and i don't have internet banking too, but i can pay from my PayPal account, you don't need to bother yourself about the shipment because i have a pick-up agent that will come for the pick-up and they will also determine and secure the shipment, get back to me with your PayPal email address so that i can make the payment, i will also need your full name and phone number.

Login to Me Too

eep

Ditto for me.  Here my paypal scam that responded to my "Car for Sale" ad....

"Do you have the extra keys, Do you have the spare tire, Where did you
get your car serviced, Have you ever had any transmission repairs and
Is there any rust on the vehicle? I'm ready to pay your asking price
but not cash in person because I am serving in the US army and
currently been deploy to Fort Huachuca Military Base , Arizona and
calls are restricted at the moment and my only quickest payment option
is PayPal, its safe fast and secure and i will be responsible for the
PayPal transaction charges so you can get your expected amount. If you
don't have an account with PayPal, its pretty easy to open one, Just
log onto www . paypal . com and sign up. I hope we can make the
purchase as fast as possible? As I am buying the vehicle for my dad
and I'm very sure he will love this vehicle, his a mechanic and a
handy man, so if there is anything that need to be fixed in it just
let me know he will handle it. I have a mover that will come for the
pick up once payment clears in your account and he will handle the
title for me.I would appreciate if you email me with more pictures (if
available) too since i won't be able to see this in person. You may
receive an email like this from other people because i told my
colleagues and team mate to help me lookout for the vehicle as
well,,so deal with me directly .
I look forward to hear from you with the information below.

Your PayPal e-Mail Address :
Full name:
Phone Number-
Firm Price:
Zip code for pickup:

Regards
Seth"
Login to Me Too

jjaef
New Community Member

I have had 11 different email offers for my car, all along the same lines - all offering full asking price without viewing and asking to pay via Paypal and have an "agent" collect the car.  I have not responded to any of them, (all so obviously scams), but I don't understand how it would work?  Presumably they would try to collect the car before the payment was fully cleared?  Any ideas?

Login to Me Too

georgiegirl55

I have received a similar email today. It was very odd that they're not really asking questions about the car, but pushing for details of making the paypal payment. How would this scam work, as I thought paypal payments are totally secure?

Login to Me Too

bosstin
New Community Member

hi these people have tried to buy my car in the same way as you. It's not the car they are after it is the £400-£850 shipping fee that they are after to small for the police to bother trying to catch. What I have done is cancel any email addresses on adds in any local media that I have put my car up for sale in. I am also feeding them bits of information letting them think that I am selling them the car this wastes their time because they keep answering my email. If somebody wants to buy your car without coming to see it just say no someone will buy it someday send any email like this to spoof@paypal.co.uk  and they will sort it out

many thanks

bosstin

Login to Me Too

bosstin
New Community Member

They tell you that they are sending you extra cash to pay the shipping costs, you are then told that papal will not credit your account with the total amount (car +shipping +papal charges) till you have paid the shipping fee to the courier. People that are gullible will think this is what they have to do, so they send the money and hey ho they have been scammed. No money is ever paid for the car so they lose the shipping fee. The good news is they still have the car

many thanks

Bosstin

Login to Me Too

PayPal_paula

Hi bosstin,

Thanks for your input and advice on this matter. It is extremely helpfull and the information in your posts is correct.

Please keep posting Smiley Happy

Thanks

Paula

Login to Me Too

brialexis1987

The following is what i received today for my car, if it is not being shipped how could this be a scam even know i know it is.

Hi there, Thank you for getting back to me. Can you assure me that i will not be disappointed with it. I'm ready to pay your asking price, i'm buying this for my Dad. But the issue is I'm a marine biologist and i am on sea right now. Due to my contract on the sea, there is strictly no call due to the lack of reception on the sea area. But I'm able to access my mail anytime as i will make use of wireless laptop.

My Mode of payment is via PayPal as as i don't have access to my bank account online, but i have it attached to my paypal account and this is why i insisted on using paypal to pay. I will be responsible for all the paypal fee/charges on this transaction and i will like  you to get back to me with more pics if available, if you don't have an account with paypal, its pretty easy, safe and secured to open one.
Just log on to www.paypal.com

I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible.
I have a mover that will be coming for the pick up once payment clears and they will be handling the title for me. So i look forward to hear from you soon. Kindly get back to me with your

PayPal E-Mail Address:
Firm price:

Many Thanks.

Login to Me Too

Diana1
New Community Member
Haha is funny I just got This same Email. Thank you for your comments. I told the person that if he wanted to buy the car. He should send the payment with the person who was going to pick up the car, and he did not answered any more. Lol Please Don't believe in this .
Login to Me Too

Tanyatbad
They contest the payment claiming it is fraudulent use of there PayPal account anything over £500 isn't covered by PayPal also because they are not a uk company it hinders police investigation.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.