What happened to PayPal Buttons?!

rumbleart
New Community Member

Do you know what happened? Making buttons used to be so simple almost anyone could do it, it's just insane to make it harder, paypal has probably lost a lot of people over this! I used to be able to easily and quickly make buttons for clients that had multiple options for customers to select, dynamic text field to collect information or ask questions, redirect to thank you page, etc and those all appear to be gone.

I'm making a site for myself that sells services. I need to be able to collect various data for customers and give them option to select dates, multiple dates and hours and more than one service and it appears that can only be done now with a separate button for each and every possible combination of every service I'm selling and that is just INSANE. 

I think it really was just really outrageously stupid to pull the old buttons before an "improvement" was completed. Also, if paypal is making it so you have to have someone who can set up api or do a bunch of coding whatever, paypal will NOT get back people it has lost, they'll be gone forever. Make your service or product EASIER for people to get/use, not harder!

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

MTS_Jennifer

Hi @rumbleart ,

Thank you for posting to the PayPal Merchant Community. I understand that this is frustrating, and do apologize. We are currently working on adding more features to our PayPal buttons and links. Since you have posted several issues that you are having with the new payment buttons, I have shared this post with the PayPal Product Developers. The PayPal Button Links and Code are being improved and updated based on merchant input.

Here are a few updates that are on the roadmap:

- Auto Return

-Adding the text box to all pricing options is in development, and on the roadmap, we will have more details on when this is available soon.

- Currently you can add a text box option if the pricing option is set to "Customer sets the price."

- Add to cart functionality

Instant Payment Notification is currently available, as long as its enabled in the PayPal Account.

Currently we are looking into options to allow more than one button to display at a time with no code options.

The Customer picks from a list will allow you to add 10 options to one button, just like the original add to cart and buy now buttons.

If you have an existing PayPal Account and previously created Website Payment's Standard buttons, you will still have access to the original PayPal Buttons.

Here are instructions on getting to the original buttons:

• Hover over your name
  • Click on Account Settings
  • Click on website payments
  • Click Update next to PayPal buttons

If you had previously created the buttons in your PayPal account you will see them displayed on that page.

We are still working on improvements for the new PayPal Buttons and links. It is our goal to make creating payment buttons faster and easier, and not require coding experience.

If you have additional improvements for  these buttons, feel free to reply, and I will forward the information to our PayPal product Developers.

Thank you,

Jennifer

MTS

PayPal

Login to Me Too

SandyHHK
Contributor
Contributor

I agree - insane. My issue is the auto return. I used to be able to declarer a success return location and a fail return location. Now, not only can I declare one return location, but it will only work if I am using one of the trusted partner. This is not right and it will drive away customers.

Login to Me Too

MTS_John

Hello @SandyHHK,

Thank you for contributing to this thread.

There have been some changes made to the PayPal buttons recently, but the return URL should still be available. Please see my response in this thread [https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/PayPal-Payments-Standard/why-can-t-I-have-auto-return-on-standar...] for more details and let us know if these options are not appearing in your account for some reason as that would be a bug that we need to resolve.

Thank you. 

Sincerely,
John
MTS
PayPal

If you found this post helpful, please give it a kudos or accept it as a solution so it can help others with a similar question.

Login to Me Too

SynthOne
Contributor
Contributor

This caught me out today when I went to edit the price of some buttons.

When I clicked DONE I expected it to show the Button Code etc, but it just makes a link rather than the familiar button code.

Unfortunately there is no UNDO on this so my edited buttons now do not have the Opt Out callback link to my site anymore.

Could PayPal not have offered an 'opt-in' option for this new button method? I understand the need to improve services, but my buttons have worked for years and rather just keep them the way they are.

Login to Me Too

MTS_John

Hello @SynthOne

Thank you for contributing to this thread.

The option to use HTML code should still be availble for PayPal HTML buttons using the Buy Now, the newer Pay Link or Button, or any other HTML based buttons on our site.  

If for some reason this option is not available for you, please create an MTS ticket via the following URL: https://www.paypal-support.com/, and make sure to provide as much detailed information and error details when submitting the ticket, including a screenshot of the button page, to help us solve this issue in the shortest amount of time possible.

Sincerely,
John
MTS
PayPal

If you found this post helpful, please give it a kudos or accept it as a solution so it can help others with a similar question.

Login to Me Too

gattgun
Contributor
Contributor

The only way I've been able to find and edit my buttons is to do a Google search for PayPal buttons.  Following that link takes me to the right page.  I wasted a lot of time navigating my way around PayPal and wasn't able to find them any other way.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.