THEFT FRAUD REFUND Buyer opened case w/ merch in transit; has $ &goods 3calls toPayPal 0HELP

veilside2celica
New Community Member

I have a football card B/S/T hobby. 
I sold 2 cards using Goods and Services. 
PayPal took their standard 3% fee. 

Well, two days after shipping the package, the buyer initiated a refund through his bank.  The buyer has been in communication with me but I can't get what has actually happened straight from what he says and what PayPal says.  ALL I CAN TELL YOU IS THAT THE BUYER HAS THE MERCHANDISE AND MOST OF HIS PAYMENT AFTER OPENING A REQUEST THROUGH HIS BANK WHILE THE MERCHANDISE WAS IN TRANSIT VIA TRACKED USPS SHIPPING.

As the cards were in transit, the buyer alleges that he had to freeze his bank account when he experienced a mail theft the week prior with another seller [TOTALLY UN-RELATED TO ME AND OUR TRANSACTION].  The two cards in a single package were delivered, were confirmed delivered by at least 3 PayPal representatives, and yet his bank was able to successfully withdraw around 70% of the payment from my account. 

SO FAR, THREE CALLS TO PAYPAL HAVE DONE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.  I have no open cases.  On the phone, they have only said, "We're looking into it" and "We'll get back to you."  THERE HAVE BEEN ZERO SOLUTIONS WHEN EVEN DEALING WITH SUPERVISORS AT PAYPAL.

From what I can tell, it is 100% possible for a buyer to freeze his bank account after sending funds and get his money back.  In my instance, I can not figure out how I only have $80 of $295.00 sent.  PayPal DOES NOT have seller protection from fraud is the biggest learning experience I have taken from this.  At this time with zero resolution going on weeks later, I have to kick this company to the curb and ask what agency to report this theft.

After 21 years of using PayPal, I have had enough of this one terribly handled situation that again has resulted in theft from my account and ZERO protection, ZERO resolution, and ZERO care given to an obviously wronged seller.

My question is what am I supposed to do?  The shipment has been confirmed as delivered going on 2 weeks now.  The buyer has the merchandise and the bulk of his payment.  PayPal is uncommunicative, unhelpful, and not resolving what should be a simple confirmed case of merchandise delivered.  Again, after years of B/S/T I have never had an issue but now the buyer has the merch and his funds.  PayPal is so G.D. M.F. ing useless on the phone that I feel like I'm talking to broken English eBay reps in the Philippines.  It seems that I may have to try other payment mediums as PayPal is okay with theft from their long-time, good-standing users. 

Since I can't get PayPal "customer service" workers to do their jobs and resolve the situation, what legal recourses does one have in this situation that is beginning to look more and more like theft and fraud? 

How can a seller be shown to have delivered the merchandise and simultaneously have his payment effectively stolen?

There are so many questions and I have received ZERO solutions and answers from the various "representatives" and "supervisors."

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

veilside2celica
New Community Member

ALL I HAVE RECEIVED FROM "CUSTOMER SERVICE" -

Seller protection does cover the transaction. However, Buyer reported the transaction as unauthorized, and the case was closed in buyer's favor.

As the dispute was filed outside PayPal, the complete decision is made by their card issuer.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@veilside2celica 

The chargeback process is external to the PayPal system. The buyer's credit card issuer grants its members specific consumer protection which PayPal has no authority to replace or reduce.

If a PayPal user initiates a chargeback with their credit card company Paypal have no way of stopping the claim.

HOWEVER if it was a bank account (and not a debit or credit card) then the payment would already have been made before you sent the item so they could not do a chargeback by closing their bank account. The only time it 'may' be done is if you were paid by an echeque and it was pending on your account and you sent before clearance?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.