Selling Car

JumpingJim
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All,

I am selling a car to someone in Canada. They chose to not come to the USA to see the car, but have agreed to sending the money in advance into my PayPal account. They are having someone pick-up the car, after the money is transferred to me. 

I have never done this before and it seems a little  strange to me. What do I need to worry about? If I get the money transferred to my account can they get it back in some way? How can I be sure I have the funds, and can let the car go.. Wouldn't I be better off to request certified check or something like that. I have never used PayPal and I don't even know if they can be trusted.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Martina
Administrator
Administrator

Hi JumpingJim,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Community! 

In general, as per our Buyer and Seller Protection cars are not covered. As a consequence, the buyer would not have the option to file a claim with PayPal directly. However, the buyer could still dispute the payment with the financial institution and file a chargeback. 

If the buyer files a chargeback, in order to be covered by our Seller Protection policy, we would need a proof of shipping showing that the item has been delivered to the location that the buyer chose at the time of the purchase. As a consequence, if the car is collected by the buyer, we would not be able to cover the payment under our Seller Protection policy. 

For more information, I would recommend visiting our website and clicking 'Security' at the bottom of any PayPal webpage. 

I hope this helps!

Martina 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.