Someone sent me money mistakenly

nine-zero
Contributor
Contributor

I received a random email this afternoon about a person sending me US$600+ by mistake. A short while ago I received a notification of case opened through paypal. I was not selling anything and was not expecting that money to land in my account. Is it safe to issue a refund or am I being scammed? Please help. I don't want my own money to follow the refund and end up in that person's account.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@nine-zero 

Are the funds SHOWING on your paypal account and in your paypal balance?

If so are they cleared or pending?

Secondly click on the transaction and see if you were charged a fee to accept the payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

nine-zero
Contributor
Contributor
Funds are showing as a pending transaction. PayPal has charged $28 in fee. Total pending amount is $599. While talking to PayPal rep yesterday, I was advised to refund $599 else I’d have to pay $28 fee. I am confused, why in the world I have to suck up $28 when I am the victim of a wrong recipient of the payment. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@nine-zero 

Thats why they told you to only refund $599 so that you don't have to pay the fee.

If you refunded the amount that they sent you then you would be paying that fee wouldn't you?

BUT wait till its cleared if its showing as on hold due to the new seller hold? (may be up to 21 days) OR the refund will be taken from your bank account !!!!!

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.