Paypal refunding customers against distance selling regulations and consumer contract regulations

Cassplants
Contributor
Contributor

any one had PayPal side with a customer who is clearly lying? 

I have a shop that sells perishable items and we have clear policies that we need to be informed of an issues within 12 hours of delivery. I have had a buyer do a charge back 2 weeks after receiving goods, claiming illness delayed her notifying us earlier. We refused to refund her as the issue with the good was clearly her doing, so she went to PayPal direct. I called PayPal when the case was opened and the person i spoke to 100% agreed we should be sided with but then this morning i get the email from PayPal saying they have refunded the buyer! By law perishable items are exempt from the standard right to refund or return unless damaged or fault on arrive which none of her goods were. How are PayPal allowed to do this? 

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

Airhaun
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, this same thing just happened to me. The buyer lied and said a laptop I sold did not power on. PayPal escelated this to a claim without allowing any time prior requring buyer to communicating issue to me for resolution. I received an email the claim was filed, after disputing and submitting documents the refund was approved a few days later. When the laptop returned I filmed the unboxing and powering on proving there was nothing wrong with the laptop to warrant a refund, take my my money and require me to accept the item. Over Fri. & Sat. I called to lodge an appeal, spoke with 5 different PayPal customers, was given 4 different email addresses and told to send the video, pictures. Today I get an email asking me to show proof the item is damaged. Very concerning considering I am the one advocating the laptop is not damamged, works just fine and the seller filed a false claim and no seller protectiosn were afforded. 

After calling today I was told by a PayPal supervisor I'm lucky to have gotten the item returned and should be thankful. Apparently PayPal's Seller protections are ineligable if the claim is filed under "Item not as described". Also if the Seller files a dispute with their financial institution it turns out it's expensive for PayPal to fight this and despite it being incorrect, cheaper to issue a refund than side with the Seller.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.