PayPal friends and family scam?

tofu424
Contributor
Contributor

I've been selling on PayPal for years , it's my faviroute platform to use for transactions. Recently I sold an item to a customer a few weeks back , they payed with Friends & Family , I didn't think of it much I thought they may have just done so to reduce the fees or something. I have all the messages and chats I had with the buyer where they clearly highlight how much they're going to pay and that they have payed I also have tracking information which shows the parcel being delivered. However they disputed this transaction under 'Unauthorised purchase' that's when I realized I may have just been scammed, I gave PayPal all the screenshots of messages and tracking is there still a way I can loose this case? 

The item was worth £400 , I got an update saying the financial institution will decide. Surely I cannot loose this case as I have all the evidence I need.

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@tofu424 

Unfortunately since it was a friends and family payment there is no PayPal seller protection on chargebacks (when buyer dispute through their financial institution) and you are at the mercy of the financial institution’s decision.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

tofu424
Contributor
Contributor
Do they always go the buyers way?
Login to Me Too

Beautyland
Contributor
Contributor

Check the buyer's address and the PayPal address. In correspondence, etc. Perhaps this is a fraudulent scheme, but if the data match, then the client clearly knew what he was doing. And he specifically waited to receive the goods and then demand the money back.

Login to Me Too

thenoscam
Contributor
Contributor

Bad for you, but sharpiemarker is spot on. Friends & Family is not for commercial transactions. You have zero sellers protection. Worse, you can lose your Paypal account because it's highly against their TOS.

And why the buyer wants to save fees? All fees are paid by the seller anyway.

You need to make a police report. I don't think Paypal will support you much, maybe a copy of the Police report helps a little.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.