Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,977 REPLIES 4,977

hulbertmichelle
Contributor
Contributor
every time I tried to purchase something online and I hit PayPal is an option to pay it takes me to a page that says enter your phone number for verification I enter it and itsays PayPal doesn't support that number but I'm already verified and that's my primary number how can I fix this problem
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@hulbertmichelle 

Is it a mobile number and not a landline?

Is the phone registered in your name only?

Is it a U.S issued phone?

Have you verified the phone on your paypal account?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

hulbertmichelle
Contributor
Contributor
Yes it's a mobile phone number it's registered to me they're claiming that I have a fraudulent claim because I have Oklahoma address on my account. That's where I'm from and originally was when I created my account. My ID matches that address on my PayPal. My family still lives in Oklahoma and I just use that address because it's just a permanent dress I've always used it's never been an issue before with PayPal I've add account with PayPal since 2018 been verified and never have had any changes in my information besides my phone number and but that's been verified through them. I live in Denver. but they also are claiming some other security issue that I'm not even allowed to know what it is. All my stuff has been verified I've been with them since 2018 I've been on a daily basis sending money back and forth just from family and stuff and never ever has anything ever arose I have been verified through ID me to the state of Colorado and I've even contacted them letting them know their accusations and they think it's ridiculous
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SaintDH 

Try:

1. Downloading the app to see if it will let you in to change / update it in the settings.

2. Use the forgotten password option several times.

3. Trying another browser that may let you in without phone verification (then change it when you have logged in).

4. Trying again another day when sometimes you can get in without doing the verification and then change the number.

5. Changing the password a few times sometimes works as it can bypass the phone verification.

If that does not work then you would need to contact customer services so that they can i.d. you another way and then add your new phone number to your account.

Contact options for Paypal are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages...

1. Paypal phones are slowly re-opening and increasing in numbers (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out.
Or
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their Facebook or Twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPalUK and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions @kernowlass 

I finally managed to get in from the main navigation menu across the top of this community forum, at the third attempt.

Thankfully then able to update the phone number and now all good. Huge relief!

Thanks again 😎

Login to Me Too

Danijel777
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, can you please explain me what did you do to change phone number as i have the same problem and cant figure it out.

Login to Me Too

Yummie
Contributor
Contributor
How can i change my phone number
Login to Me Too

Danijel777
Contributor
Contributor

@SaintDH Hi, can you please explain me what did you do to change phone number as i have the same problem and cant figure it out.

Login to Me Too

anonymous1231
New Community Member

Hello, how did you managed to get in without verifying your phone number?

Login to Me Too

biscuitsarnie
Contributor
Contributor

fed up getting the run around trying to log in ive tried several different browsers  i know my name  obviously and i know my password too i have changed phone numbers  every time i click to change password it wants me to sent a code sent to my mobile which i have changed  whole reason for trying to change it i even tried putting the app on my new number that did not help either wanted same thing what happened to asking for the back up answers i hae tried this for several days too it will let me buy things on some  sites but not all as it wants code from phone this is very annoying please help 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.