Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,981 REPLIES 4,981

SaimaRahman

Right its so stupid. I am locked out of my account, changed my password and email confirmation worked. when i tried to log in, paypal linked with my 10 year old contact number. Now, i am just going round n round the circle. I never asked to activate PSD2 on my account. Now i am locked, all the money i had in my paypal account is with paypal. They are making profit on my money and completely locked me out of my account. This is so ridiculous. 

Login to Me Too

Proshilja86
And?i have same problem with my old phone number.what next?
Login to Me Too

RustyKnightUK
Contributor
Contributor

PSD2 is a system where Paypal make your account so secure no one use it, NOT EVEN YOU.

It would work fine if Paypal actually sent the codes, but they last 10 minutes and it took TWO hours before I received one.

So much for shopping securely online!

Login to Me Too

Dino68
Contributor
Contributor

Spent over an hour on the phone speaking to paypal they cant fix it

cant get me back into my account told me to 2 wait a few days they claim NO errors on there own side.

tried online help - useless some person from India on facebook who did not have a clue what my problem was.

so now i cant access my account

cant trade

cant replay paypal working capital

was promised call back from a manager within the hour (this was 3 hours ago ) no email nothing

no one responds here

no one knows the answer

does anyone from paypal read these forums ? i need access to my account ASAP!

Login to Me Too

krisbg
New Community Member

Can't log in either. The issue initially seemed to be that my phone number is missing the country code, so they can't send me the log in code. Tried to contact support two times over the phone, after fighting for some time with a bot, finally I got to talk with a customer service agent, but it says they are too busy, and to send them a message in the help center, and shut down. I can't send them a message, 'cause I can't log in though. Meanwhile, while writing this, I received one security code, but it seems to have been already expired, so again unable to log in. This is ridiculous - Catch 22!

Login to Me Too

Neverfear
Contributor
Contributor
All well and good! I can't log on! What is point of having a PayPal account you can't access? This is ridiculous. Either you have it wrong or just get the system fixed. Will have to give up shortly. Neverfear
Login to Me Too

Neverfear
Contributor
Contributor
Last reply - don't give me this nonsense - just sort it out. Had enough.
Login to Me Too

ailsadell
Contributor
Contributor
Just a thought.., Can everybody in the U.K. please send a COMPLAINT TO THE FINANCIAL OMBUDSMAN... The more people complain to them the more someone will get PayPal to sort this mess out.., Ps. I keep getting told by PayPal I don’t have this verification process in place! It’s a joke. Fortunately I can access my account and have also input my husbands mobile number in in case we ever change our number but an email verification option SHOULD be put in place. PayPal not letting you access your funds is a case for the ombudsman. Please complain.
Login to Me Too

Neverfear
Contributor
Contributor
Fully agree - time to report. Ridiculous excuses - just can't resolve this issue, unbelievable. Do you think other online banks have these issues? No. Have 3 online banks including their Apps. Never had any issues. Could call or online chat, sorted - never had this issue, other stuff. Major banks. This PayPal is concerned more about what credit card they want me to use. Would if I can access my PayPal account. They MUST SORT IT OUT TODAY. OR WE ALL MUST REPORT TO THE REGULATORS ON MONDAY. LUDICROUS. They won't do anything, just excuses - I don't want it to be about regulation to blame. Others don't have this issue. Normally USA have great customer service - not now. I don't even have any good explanation when they will resolve and all will be fine now. Please, why am I saying please? Maybe British - USA people would not say please, pretty please.
Login to Me Too

Dino68
Contributor
Contributor

RIght finally after over 24 hours of agony of being locked out it was finally sorted. Some pointers here :

forget reaching out to paypal via social media they are all but  usesless - I sent numberous messages to twitter / fb only got 2 replies neither of which were any help - the worst reply was telling me to "login and send a message to support" considering the reason I needed support was because I could NOT login it shows just how much they do not read the messages sent! Support over all dreadful.

Then I noticed when I changed my paypal password before login - it would sometimes re direct me after password and get me into my account. but soon as I logged out again I was blocked from logging back in.

I tried 3 times to get through to phone support - be prepared for hellish long wait times. Finally on the 3rd attempt today after being on hold for 1 hour or more someone answered and to her credit she knew what to do. Made some changes her end and within 10 minutes i was back in. What is ridiculous is the 3 other times I managed to speak to support over the preceeding 24 hours or so none of them had a clue. Some said just wait another simply had no answer. So its very very hit and miss who you get.

You just need to keep trying over and over and if you dont get a solution first time around call back straight away. Be prepared for long and I mean long wait times, for support people who dont have a clue but do it enough times and eventually it will get sorted.

Paypal when it works its fine and goes well. But god forbid you get an issue - the support is the worst I have ever come across and very very hit and miss as said. Anyway thats how i got this fixed - oh and one last thing when I went to live chat (finally got through ) the man simply removed my mobile number which was insane as I then could not be traced when calling into business support. Took me 20 minutes to tell him that was the wrong thing to do and made no difference. Clueless.

But live call support is the only way to go - the rest is just wasting your time.

good luck everyone.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.