It's many articles that PayPal suport Passkeys now. But how to create the passkey?

MrBjorn
Contributor
Contributor

It's many articles that PayPal support Apples Passkeys now. But how do I create the passkey?

When I google on it, it says:

"To create a passkey, PayPal users can log in to the website and then choose the "Create a passkey" option. Passkeys on iOS and Mac devices sync with iCloud Keychain for security purposes, and logins are authenticated with Face ID or Touch ID."

But I don't get such an option when I login. Have anyone tried this successfully?

Login to Me Too
23 REPLIES 23

MrBjorn
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks for reply! I live in Sweden though. Let’s hope passkey can get adoption really fast, on every site and login.
Login to Me Too

RHPT
Contributor
Contributor

I still don't see an option to create a passkey on the PayPal website. I live in the US, using Safari, running Ventura. 

Login to Me Too

Mr_Beign
Contributor
Contributor
I’m in the US as well and still don’t get an option to create a passkey when I login from my iPhone running 16.1 or my Mac running Ventura. Very strange.
Login to Me Too

BriefingVital
Contributor
Contributor

It's now February 2023, and I still haven't been able to get a Passkey prompt. My devices are updated, and I was able to successfully create a test Passkey on passkeys.io and get it to work on Mac and iOS. PayPal may have to consider adding some hard-coded option to create a Passkey in security settings at this point.

Login to Me Too

AndrewPor
New Community Member

Same here. I'm in the US, all my devices are updated and no Passkey for PayPal yet.

Login to Me Too

BriefingVital
Contributor
Contributor

Update: April 7

I can get into the Passkey setup in account security settings, but when I try to create a passkey the QR code disappears almost instantly, and even if I manage to scan it in time I can't actually complete the setup. My computer and phone can't see each other. Passkeys work fine for Best Buy and the passkey.io test page.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

Hello @BriefingVital and everyone! 

Welcome to the PayPal Community Forum! I can understand it can be a bothersome running into issues trying to set up a PayPal Passkey. If you've already tried the steps listed in this Passkey Help Center article, I'd recommend reaching out to our Customer Support teams for assistance. 

Good luck and best wishes!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Emerelle
Contributor
Contributor

Hello from Germany. I run into the exact same problem as described by BriefingVital since weeks now. German Support couldn't help me either. 

I would have been curious about the link you posted, but it's not working for me. 

Today I even tried to remove authenticator app code first but when I try to add an passkey to my naked account, it forces me to set up an alternative (authenticator app) first in case I lose my passkey wich, of course, I still cannot set up afterwards. Pls fix this! I wonder if there is any apple-user out there who managed to set it up and how he or she did so... I'm on the latest MacOS and iOS versions with the latest Safari Browser Versions. 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_paula

Hi @Emerelle

This sounds frustrating. The best option for this would be to contact us directly so we can help you. Please click on the "help and contact" link at the bottom of any PayPal page and follow the steps to contact us. We would be happy to talk you through this. 

Thanks 

Paula 

Login to Me Too

yesitsme77
Contributor
Contributor

It is frustrating and seems to be a general problem.
i come from a forum threat with over 90 Users having exactly this problem and just found this thread in here.

Should i tell them all to contact the support individually?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.