E-mail from PayPal every time I log in.

Iddy3
Contributor
Contributor

Why, whenever I login to PayPal, do I get an e-mail advising 'We noticed a new device login' when I only log in on my own desk-top computer?

Also, why does it show middlesbrough mdb uk? [A new device logged in to your PayPal account, xxxx@hotmail - middlesbrough mdb uk - date & time]

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_RachelK

Hi @Iddy3,

Welcome to the community and thank you for your post!

I do understand your concern with this. When a location or device is not yet trusted when logging into your PayPal account, we may send you an email. This is to notify you of the login attempt incase it was not you accessing your account. 

The location displayed, would be the around about area of the login. If it was you logging in, you can then ignore the emails. They are only send for your protection. 

I hope this helps!

- Rachel 

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
59 REPLIES 59
Solved

PayPal_RachelK

Hi @Iddy3,

Welcome to the community and thank you for your post!

I do understand your concern with this. When a location or device is not yet trusted when logging into your PayPal account, we may send you an email. This is to notify you of the login attempt incase it was not you accessing your account. 

The location displayed, would be the around about area of the login. If it was you logging in, you can then ignore the emails. They are only send for your protection. 

I hope this helps!

- Rachel 

Login to Me Too

StevieBTheFirst
Contributor
Contributor

I’ve had this email twice now.

For sure I’m not based anywhere near Middlesbrough.

On the 1st occasion, I changed my account password in case it was a fraudulent attempt to use my account.

It’s just happened again!

The reply from Rachel doesn’t really answer the issue in my opinion.

Please can anyone explain where ‘Middlesbrough mdb uk’ location is coming from?

Is it being picked up from PayPal’s Strong Customer Authentication process?

@lddy3 @PayPal_RachelK

Login to Me Too

Iddy3
Contributor
Contributor

How can I stop this e-mail every time I log in. It is irritating and incorrect and to say that Middlesborough is in the same area as I'm logging in is totally ludicrous as it's 359 miles away!

Login to Me Too

TwoFish

Near or in the vicinity of the area is a bit ambiguous. I am in Belfast and my location is stated as Slough in England!!

Login to Me Too

Cheesey

Thank you for your comment. This matches the comments I had while on the phone to one of your advisers. This does not make sense to me at all. I only log in at home and never anywhere else. A more broader explanation of this is needed as a lot of people are losing confidence. I rate Paypal very highly and I usually avoid making online purchases unless I have that option. I am sure this is a simple matter but you do need to do something to assure users and to save them from this irritating issue. Thanks

Login to Me Too

Boltrope
New Community Member

I've just logged in twice and I received the same email each time, telling me a new device from Middlesborough MDB UK logged into my account. I am at the opposite end of the country to Middlesborough - I mean 275 miles away from Middlesborough! It tells me the login is using Safari OS X which is what I am using!

Login to Me Too

Crazy-Mike
Contributor
Contributor

Yup. Me too. Same email, same message. 

Based in UK.

PayPal please explain !!

Login to Me Too

Dave385
New Community Member

Me too and I live in south Wales! Please give a better answer Paypal because it's quite disconcerting, especially as I had just advertised something on Gumtree.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

@Iddy3, @Dave385, @Crazy-Mike, @Boltrope, @StevieBTheFirst

Hello everyone! I'd be happy to shed some more light on this concern. As Rachel stated, these emails are merely a precaution and are part of our expansive security system. Unfortunately, these kind of notifications cannot be disabled. With that in mind, the location upon which you're logging in is gathered from your Internet Service Provider. If you are logging in from location A, but your ISP is stating you're logging in from location B, that's something to be reviewed with them as PayPal has no control over it.

My apologies for any inconvenience this has caused. Good luck and best wishes all!

- Jon 

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.