Got Rid of my Mobile Phones

KingRay
Contributor
Contributor

I've been a long-time customer of PayPal and former software consultant/developer. I see what's going on with businesses trying to dominate my mobile phones, so I got rid of them. I'm locked out of the phone PayPal has. I have an 800-number that I can call from anywhere, and have it forward calls to my landline.

How do I get rid of my old mobile number around here?

PayPal won't send texts properly to my 800-number; not all businesses can for some reason. No, I'm not changing that company for the sake of snoopy businesses. Most 800-number providers have the worst customer service ever and this business provider is within my budget.

I don't care what anybody says, my privacy and peace of mind depends on me not feeling like a character in the book 1984. If they want to track me, do so physically or don't bother me. Emails worked fine, and if you ask me, these moves have nothing to do with security, and everything to do with advertising and tracking people. I'm too old to be parented by strangers working for monopoly corporations, and big brother don't live here. Thanks.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@KingRay 

ok

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

KingRay
Contributor
Contributor

Why did you respond at all? This wasn't an FYI. There was a question in there that I changed with bold formatting.

Putting some humor in here, I don't have a big brother; I am the big brother 😆 (hahahaha). Also, the reason businesses have trouble texting that number is it's VOIP, not SMS. I just found that out yesterday from an app provider I'm trying to use with the 800-number. I've had that number for the last 3-4 years, but decided to use it exclusively.

Have a good day @kernowlass 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@KingRay 

ok, didn't think that was a question but glad you have sorted it.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

KingRay
Contributor
Contributor

So, do you have an answer or just like saying "Ok"? 😆

Not sure how to get verified without a mobile number, nor how to get rid of them inside PayPal. There's no delete function for the phone number. I added my 800-number and can't get rid of the old cellphone #. I just knew when they were testing out that feature, the day would come when they'd force it on everybody. Here we are struggling with inflexibility (or alternatives) in the software, @kernowlass 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_RachelK

Hi @KingRay

Thank you for your post. 

I do understand your frustration. If you are having issues accessing your account, you will need to contact our customer support directly. This can be done by clicking 'Contact', and then 'Password and access issues' at the bottom of any PayPal page. Alternatively, you can click here

I hope you get this sorted!

- Rachel

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.