Close Account for someone with no mental capacity. Lost 2FA and password

giraffeonastick
Contributor
Contributor
My aunt has severe dementia and has lost all capacity (cannot make decisions cannot talk to people on the phone). She's lost her mobile phone that's attached to her PayPal account and forgot her password I am authorised to help her but cannot do an online password reset. I need to close the account down ASAP. PayPal keep telling me she needs to phone them. She can't! Any ideas on what to do to reset the password so we can get in and close the account? Thanks
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

PayPal_JonK

Hello @giraffeonastick

Welcome to the PayPal Community! It's wonderful to hear you're looking out for your aunt. I'm sorry to hear she's not able to take care of this situation on her own. If she's unable to contact PayPal to take action on her account, you would need to obtain a Power of Attorney to take the kind of action you're requesting. Once you have that document, you can submit it along with your request to the contact info detailed at the bottom of our Privacy Policy. 

Best wishes, 

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

giraffeonastick
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you. Unfortunately it's not as straightforward but it's good to know you have a team that understands Power of Attorney. We cannot obtain PoA due to her medical condition, but are working with the Court of Protection to obtain Deputyship. Is there a dedicated team that deals with PoA and Deputyship?

Is it fair to say that once the necessary court forms are issued to me, I can contact PayPal UK and you will assist in closing her account down?

Many thanks

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @giraffeonastick,

Once the document has been submitted through the contact info that @PayPal_JonK mentioned above, the request can be made to close the account.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.