UNAUTHORISED CHARGEBACK

lovefuchsias
Contributor
Contributor

I have had an unaurthorised chargeback case opened against me for £41.00. Reading between the lines it seems as if the buyers wife/partner has used his credit card for an ebay purchase off me. I was not able to respond to the case and paypal were dealing with the credit card company.  The buyer has NOT said that they didn't receive the goods and I do have proof of posting receipt. Anyway, the outcome was that the money was refunded to the buyer and I had an additional £14 chargeback fee. How is this fair or right for sellers? What is stopping anyone/everyone from doing this? Why should the seller have to cover costs? Surely it is up to the credit card company to sort it out with the buyer and not punish the seller. I have now put in a complaint to paypal but am not expecting a good outcome. What should I do now? It is a lot of money for me to loose out on. In total it is £55.00 plus the original ebay fees of £4.10. Can anyone help me and suggest what to do? Heres hoping!

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@lovefuchsias

A chargeback is done via an account holders credit card company and they are the ones that make the decision and not paypal.

They are the ones that charge you their processing costs as well.

However you would have been reimbursed by paypal seller protection if you met ALL the requirements of that protection.

If you have not been reimbursed then you did not comply with that seller protection criteria. Probably because you only had proof of postage and not trackable proof of delivery.

Paypal give you seller protection specifically for this kind of situation but if you choose not to comply with it then unfortunately you are not reimbursed.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

lovefuchsias
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for explaining it more clearly to me. I have now sent an e-mail to paypal and hopefully I will be refunded in due course. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.