World Health Organization COVID Fund Invoice Scam

HollowKnights2k
Contributor
Contributor

Hey world. Not sure if I'm the only one receiving this invoice but just got an invoice for $20.00 from something called the Respond Fund for World Solidarity from the World Health Organization.  Paypal won't let me dispute this invoice nor would I presume the WHO would send dubious invoices for donations through Paypal so I'm assuming it's a scam. Just curious if this is being sent out to others. Thanks!

Login to Me Too
483 REPLIES 483

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@VsUrumov 

Yep lots getting them, just ignore or cancel if there is a cancel option.

No one has hacked your account, scammers send them out to any email addresses as they can and as some of those are actually linked to paypal accounts they show up on your account.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

quietgirl
Contributor
Contributor

Also forward those and the original notifications to spoof@paypal.com for investigation.

You'll help prevent other people from being scammed if Paypal can shut down the fraudulent accounts

Login to Me Too

ChrisCooling
Contributor
Contributor

@quietgirl wrote:

Also forward those and the original notifications to spoof@paypal.com for investigation.

You'll help prevent other people from being scammed if Paypal can shut down the fraudulent accounts

That does nothing. They are not spoof or phishing emails/notifications. They are legitimate emails and notifications from Paypal's system.

The invoices themselves are what are fraudulent.

Login to Me Too

StaceyMac
Contributor
Contributor
I don’t know exactly how to prevent it, but since I changed my password, I haven’t received another one. Click on the invoice- at the top of the page is the web address. After the very last letter, add this: ? action=cancel- so ? immediately after the last letter, space, then “action=cancel” and hit enter. You should see a window pop up giving you the option to cancel the invoice.
Login to Me Too

nonimportant23
Contributor
Contributor

I just received an invoice for 35.00 for COVID donations. WTF???
I swear I will get my lawyer involved if this is something going against me
It may just be 35.00 but its the principle of it. I'm not paying a damn thing and will suspend this account.
I dont use it anyway

Login to Me Too

quietgirl
Contributor
Contributor

Cancel the invoice and forward it and the original notifications to spoof@paypal.com for investigation. 

Anyone can send you an invoice for anything,  but Paypal should be reviewing accounts trying to impersonate charities.

Login to Me Too
Solved

PayPal_Olivia

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your posts. We are very sorry for the confusion and frustration you may have experienced regarding the recent unsolicited donations invoices you may have received. Our teams are actively working to detect and remediate this fraudulent activity. Our customers should never pay an unsolicited invoice.

Customers may also cancel unwanted invoices from your account by following these steps:

· Navigate to the “Activities” tab from the header options
· Locate the invoice and hit “Cancel”

After locating the invoice, if you see that it is already canceled, no further action is needed. If you have any questions about your account and wish to speak with a representative, please visit the Contact Us page to find contact options.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

mcquentin
New Community Member
I just received two invoices for $35 from the WHO (certainly a fake WHO account) asking for Covid-19 relief. How can I block or delete these invoices?
Login to Me Too

Littleweed666
Contributor
Contributor
Me too. I received a $35 invoice from (not world health org, altho it looks like it) a random email address. It was unsolicited and fortunately i noticed it, and didnt accidentally hit "pay invoice" unfortunately i bet e few people did pay it. I do think paypal should actually do something about this. Theres 36 posts here,so its widespread. They should investigate. Block the sender, freeze the account, and warn people, instead of just watching us trying to resolve it via the communtity. I bet the scammers made quite a bit of money from it, so ecpect more in the future... Good luck, and keep a close eye on yoyr paypal transactions!
Login to Me Too

Panns28
Contributor
Contributor
I just received an invoice from the world health organization for 35.00. What is this for?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.