Purchased something from a fake website.

aemeri
Contributor
Contributor

The website's name is xkangmoba.com. It looks legitimate, like Wish, but once I bought something for 52 dollars I decided to investigate more bc I am an idiot. I figured out within 30 minutes of my purchase that this was a fake website because I googled their customer service email. I googled their name before buying anything but I did not find anything... at all. I **bleep** up. I am not sure what else to do other than create a claim and use the reason as "Item is missing" although I explained everything on the case file. I tried messaging and calling PayPal but corona has slowed everything down so I am not sure what to do now.

Just to be clear, I figured out that the website was fake within 30 minutes of the purchase and started a case on PayPal. I tried canceling the payment but within that 30 minutes, but the fake seller processed the payments so the payment was complete.

Login to Me Too
31 REPLIES 31

Neaituppi
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, that makes sense that these scam sites are secured now, and encourage using Paypal, when they see they can still do what they do, and get away with it, because Paypal employees are either are told they can never act on any obvious discrepancies, but have to follow a sequence of instructed actions, or they are just not careful. 

I know even a year or two ago, you could manually stop a transaction in process if you saw something odd, but they removed that feature. 

Login to Me Too

BidControl

These fake websites are even clever enough that they create USPS tracking labels that somehow show the item delivered to your home.  This same thing happened to me last month and I am still trying to get Paypal to "listen to what I'm telling them".  I lost my dispute because the item shows it had been delivered to my address.  The problem I keep trying to tell them is: I purchased the $100 item on July 17 and the tracking label shows delivered on July 6......so Paypal did nothing....it was delivered.  Maddening these frauds!  I lost $100......be careful out there, disputes are frustrating and not a "cut n dry win"!

Login to Me Too

Helmuto44
Contributor
Contributor

I put in a claim with PayPal as well, and this was their response: We've completed our review of your unauthorized activity case, and we’ve determined there was no unauthorized use.

- thanks for your help PayPal. You are supposed to protect against this sorta thing. Shouldn't they be doing more research for the fake companies that use their services for predatory practices?

I asked to have my complaint elevated...but I'm not holding my breath. I should did more research I guess, but I assumed if Paypal was involved, then the site was legit. My mistake.

Login to Me Too

4solo
Contributor
Contributor
I fell for it also. Too good to be true. Fake
Login to Me Too

BreenX
Contributor
Contributor

I got resolution for this transaction with/through my financial intuition. I would suggest reaching out with them to see if they can help.

Login to Me Too

MrsGunRu
Contributor
Contributor

@BreenX How was your bank able to help you?

Login to Me Too

BreenX
Contributor
Contributor

I gave them the details, and they did their own investigation, and put it right. Exactly what they did in the shadows I can't say, but I got my money back.

Login to Me Too

Debs20
Contributor
Contributor
I too am annoyed that I did not make stringent checks beforehand of my purchase that I did not keep to my own mantra if to good to be true then it usually is. No correspondence to date as tracking shows that item being processed and no responses back I wish for PayPal to try and claw back my payment and for this website to be eradicated off the internet with immenfiste effect as this has made indiduvals more vulnerable. These prediators should be ashamed of themselves especially in the height of diverse epidemic around the world as it stands at present
Login to Me Too

MrsGunRu
Contributor
Contributor

@aemeriI also fell for the same stupid site! I also emailed the seller immediately after to cancel. I even emailed the customer contact email they had in the email confirmation of my order. Gmail responded to me that it was not a valid email address. JESUS!!! So, I JUST filed a claim with PayPal. The reason I did so is I awoke to an email from PayPal that the seller updated my order information with tracking info. So, I kind of got excited and felt relieved that this WASN'T a scam. Then, I noticed on the invoice for PayPal it listed the items I purchased as "Software". What I purchases was two velvet bed quilt sets! So, I went to the USPS website to TRACK my package with the tracking number provided and it said that my package was delivered on April 27, 2020! I placed the order on May 9, 2020. So, it appears the seller is even inputting OLD tracking numbers. I will try to remember to keep everyone on here updated as to how this all goes.

Login to Me Too

aemeri
Contributor
Contributor

@MrsGunRu  Same here, they gave me some tracking info to prolong whatever this is. Paypal is not moving forward because of the tracking number. So I contacted PP and they told me to wait a month before I am 100% sure, after that, I am allowed to report the item as not received. Keep me updated!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.