Is is safe to Refund via Bitcoin?

MeganSeahorse
New Community Member

Hi I have recently sold and sent an item using PayPal but the money has yet to come through to my account. The person I have sold too has emailed me saying there has been an issue with the transaction where PayPal has accidentally charge her an extra £100 and has told me I need to send her money back via Bitcoin. Obviously I am not okay with this. I understand Bitcoin may also be another secure payment method however I don't want to use other methods and to be honest this feels like a scam. I emailed back to her explaining that she needs to contact PayPal about the issue as I an not the one who is at fault. Since then I have received an email seemingly from PayPal addressing the situation however in the email it also talks about refunding her money through Bitcoin which is a huge red flag as I don't understand why PayPal would be sending me to another website to resolve an issue with them. Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

PayPal_Intars

Hi MeganSeahorse,

Welcome to the community forum and thanks for posting.

Any time you receive an email about activity on your PayPal account, the safest way to confirm the emails’ validity is to log in to your PayPal account via the PayPal website (not using the links in the email received). Any of the activity reported in the email will be available to view.  We won’t ask you to use any other payment processor to issue a refund. Please forward any suspicious emails or websites to spoof@paypal.com. Never click any links or attachments in a suspicious email. Never send an item until you've checked your PayPal account and confirmed you've received the payment To learn more about suspicious emails and online safety, go to www.paypal.com/ and click the "Security" link near the bottom of the page.

Intars

Login to Me Too

Justerine
New Community Member
Hi, were you able to resolve this? Having issues now with the same case. I am the seller.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.