Card reader won't turn on

Catrebel
New Community Member
The battery on my card reader has not been the best since it arrived, however with a four day even starting today I have charged the battery overnight, only to wake up and discover that it won't turn on. Any suggestions?
Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11

PayPal_Siobhán

Hi Catrebel, 

We'd like to help. 

When charging, the triangle on your card reader will blink red if the battery is very low. Otherwise it will blink green until the Bluetooth light starts flashing, then it is charging.  If the power cable is attached and you see no lights on your reader, there might be a problem with the charging cable. Can you see a light when you plug this in to charge?

Siobhan 

Login to Me Too

singingsoul
New Community Member

My card reader is exactly the same. I have tried 3 different cables - they are fine, as they are charging other things no problem. My card reader wont do a thing now. They seem to be really dodgy. I am sorry I didn't get a bank one now. I have market friends who have all had to have theirs replaced at least once! Now many are just entering the card details - which sux as it costs more!

@PayPal_Siobhán wrote:

Hi Catrebel, 

We'd like to help. 

When charging, the triangle on your card reader will blink red if the battery is very low. Otherwise it will blink green until the Bluetooth light starts flashing, then it is charging.  If the power cable is attached and you see no lights on your reader, there might be a problem with the charging cable. Can you see a light when you plug this in to charge?

Siobhan 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhán

Hi singingsoul,

Welcome to the community.

When was the card reader purchased? Are you saying it will not turn on at all and there are no lights showing?

Have you tried a factory re-set , here's how 

1.  Locate the small opening next to the power button on the Chip & PIN card reader.
  2.  Insert a pin into this opening and hold it until you see the green triangle flash 8 times and one asterisk sign lit up. This indicates that the device has undergone a factory reset.
  3.  Once the Bluetooth light starts blinking, pair the card reader to your smartphone or iPad and open the PayPal Here app.
  4.  Complete any initialisation or updates if the App prompts you to. We recommend that you complete this step using a WiFi connection and with the card reader connected to a power source.
  5.  Once the card reader has been initialised and the software update has been completed (if needed), the card reader is ready to be used for payments.

Siobhan

Login to Me Too

Alan33
New Community Member

I have reset my card reader but the Bluetooth light won't come on and sync with my phone

Login to Me Too

PayPal_DavidR

Hi Alan,

Welcome to the PayPal Community. I see you have not had a response from any of our users to date.

That sounds frustrating. Have you considered calling our PayPal here customer service for help? They can be contacted on <removed>  or <removed> .

-David R

Login to Me Too

RushCreations

Hi,

I have tried all the above methods to try and turn my reader on but I am getting no lights. Nothing seems to be turning on.

Thanks

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhán

Hi RushCreations, 

Welcome to the community.

Do you mean you cannot pair the reader with your device or you cannot switch the reader on at all? Please provide us with a little more information and we'll do our best to help. 

Siobhan

Login to Me Too

BrianEcho7
Contributor
Contributor
I've had the exact same problem... my card reader died last week & just wouldn't switch on & wouldn't charge & no charging indicator on either, just totally dead.... tried all of the above to no avail & so bit the bullet & bought a new one on ebay... This arrived yesterday & sadly to my complete dismay it has the exact same problem... No charging light, won't charge & won't switch on... & before you ask I tried several cables which work fine with everything else... So there us clearly some sort of common fault with them & should really be recalled... Meanwhile i'm losing money... not happy...
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhan2

Hi BrianEcho7,

Thank you for contacting the PayPal Community Forum and welcome as a new member! 

PayPal Here you can call the team on <removed> or <removed> or email us at<removed>.

- Siobhan

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.