card machines never work for long - paypal not very helpful about this

boyd1981
New Community Member

My first card reader suddenly stopped being able to pair with my phone less than 6 months after i brought it, paypal to be fair did replace that one, but now this one has done the same thing, pairing does not work, it worked for almost a year, then all of a sudden stopped working sometimes for a while and for the past week not at all.  I had to run the client payments manually which is time consuming, unprofessional and irritating when I have a machine sitting there doing nothing.  

I noticed today that paypal had witheld some money in my account, i called them to find out why and was told this was because i had needed to run payments manually.  I explained that it was because the machine no longer works and was told by them that my only option is to buy another machine from them at a cost of £75 otherwise this will keep happening.  My broken machine will not be replaced by them even though its working life has been unreasonably short.    

Are paypal selling machines that are not fit for purpose so that you have buy a new one on a regular basis?  I hope not! but I am worried enough about this that I have decided not to buy another machine from them  and will be only using Paypal for american express transactions in future (that i will have to enter manually), I will be moving to Izettle for the chip and pin payments as their machines are substantially cheaper and more than anything I am very offended and upset by the treatment I have had from paypal after having been a loyal customer previously.   Furthermore I work in a clinic with 40 other self employed therapists and I had actually reccomended paypal to some of them as a card machine provider and even helped a couple of people set up their business accounts with paypal and buy the machine, now I see that was a mistake.   I will never again reccomend paypal, I will only relay the bad experience I have had and let them make their own choice, I certainly wont be helping them get set up with the service as it would be morally wrong knowing that the machine will be might not even last a year!!! 

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.