Problems with Santander taking over Alliance & Leicester bank accounts

PayPal_john
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello everyone,

There's been quite an issue over the past few days with anyone who has an Alliance & Leicester bank account registered on PayPal. Now that Santander have taken them over and the grace period where both details worked simultaneously has ended a large number of Direct Debit instructions with PayPal have automatically been cancelled.

In some cases the sort code has changed, in some it has not. Either way, as these instructions are all automated the moment the bank name changed the systems determined that the mandate was cancelled and removed the bank from your PayPal account.

Our automatic security prompts you to fax us proof of ID and a bank statement, ** please note this is not necessary ** . All you have to do is send an e-mail to customer service who should be able to re-enable the bank on our system. You will then be able to re-add it and set up a new Direct Debit.

I've copy and pasted the template for adding a bank below, once it is re-enabled you can follow the steps:

Here’s how to re-add your bank account:

1. Log in to your PayPal account at www.paypal.co.uk
  2. Click 'Profile' near the top of the page.
  3. Click ‘Bank Accounts’ under ‘Financial Information’.
  4. Click ‘Add’.
  5. Enter your bank’s information.
  6. Review the account information and click ‘Add Bank Account’.

For security purposes you may be asked to confirm ownership of this bank account. You can confirm your bank account by following these steps: You can do this by following these steps:

3. Click the 'Bank Accounts' link in the 'Financial Information' column.
  4. Select the bank account you wish to confirm and click 'Confirm'.
  5. Click the 'Set up Direct Debit' button.
  6. The next page will display your bank details. Enter the full address of your bank account then click 'Submit'.

We’ll then send two random deposits, between 1p and 99p, to your bank account. These deposits are at our expense and you'll find them on your online bank statement within two to three working days, or on your next paper statement

Note:

• It is not possible to confirm a savings account
• If the bank account is a business account or more than one person is required to authorise debits, you must print and sign a paper Direct Debit Instruction and post it to the address provided

When you know the amounts of the deposits, follow these steps:

3. Click the 'Bank Accounts' link in the 'Financial Information' column.
  4. Select the bank account you wish to confirm and click 'Confirm'.
  5. Enter the two amounts.
  6. Click 'Submit'. If the amounts are correct, your bank account will be confirmed.

Completing this process enables you to add funds to your PayPal account balance from your bank account, make Instant Transfer payments and eCheque funded payments.

Login to Me Too
36 REPLIES 36

boozer31
Contributor
Contributor

Hello all. Ok I have been with Paypal for sometime but now have a problem. What has happened is an old bank account with Lloyds TSB was my primary and this account is now closed and Paypal have tried accessing it and obviously couldn't so its been removed.

I have added a new card which is my Alliance and Liecester bank account while the Lloyds bank account was active so this is looked at as a credit card all has been working fine up til Paypal trying to access the Lloyds one. My problem is now when I try to create a bank account with my Alliance and Liecester one it says 'This bank account is disabled for entry into the PayPal website. Please add a different bank account instead.' but I have no other bank account 😞

I have confirmed the Alliance account and had a £1 charge to it and added the code into Paypal hoping this would let me add it as a bank account but still get the above message 😞

So now if I want to send a small sum gift or something to a friend I cannot do this without being charged even though the card its using is my bank account 😞

How can I resolve this?

Login to Me Too

wilf62
New Community Member

i'm having problems setting up direct debit

you have to fill in your banks address with line 1 line 2 etc, only thing is alliance and leicester address is too small     " alliance and leicester , bootle, merseyside ,GIR OAA "      which means i have to leave address line 1 and 2, and because i'm leaving it, it wont complete ?

does anyone else use alliance and leicester via paypal and how did you get round this problem

thanks

Login to Me Too

red-bay
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Paypal dont recognise the postcode either, because its all letters. You've to enter the head office address,

Alliance and Leicester Carlton Park, Narborough, Leicester LE19 0AL Man Very Happy

Login to Me Too

JulieG
Contributor
Contributor

Always had my Paypal set up with A&L Bootle Merseyside GIR 0AA no probs for years....... until I got an email from Paypal just over a week ago saying Bank Account Removed.....

Rang to ask why & was told by Paypal I needed new sort code cos now a Santander sort code, but not to alter anything else.

So rang A&L who gave me new sort code but said no other organisations had probs - just Paypal. Also told me not to change any other details at all only sort code.

Back to Paypal, set up Bank Account with new sort code, was prompted to set up Bank Funding so had to complete new Direct Debit. All done - now had to wait for Paypal to make two deposits of pence in Bank so could verify.

Three days later the deposits are showing up. Log into Paypal and put in amounts......."Congratulations - Confirmed"

Half hour later comes email from Paypal......Bank Account Removed - Bank rejected it!!!!!

Phoned Paypal, related the tale..... was shouted down by Advisor when I tried to say that the penny amounts had gone to Bank ok with those details so must be right. Told everyone had got it wrong before. Made to set up Bank again while Advisor on phone...... this time told to call bank Santander not A&L.

Another direct debit completed, waiting for pennies to be deposited by Paypal....... still waiting.......

Rang Bank who said nothing wrong with other direct debits to Paypal, both are still set up, nothing ever been rejected, no idea what Paypal are on about!!!

Still waiting for pennies deposits - anyone think they're "in limbo" due to some wrong details??

Somebody help me please

Login to Me Too

susan1
New Community Member

I am just home from work and have found an email saying that my A&L bank account has been removed after 2 years of being confirmed, the email said that the bank had refused them money and not to contact paypay but the bank.

I checked my A&L account and all due payments had gone to Paypal in full.  I phoned Paypal and spoke to an arrogant woman telling me to change te name of the bank to Santander and to get onto my bank again for a new sort code.

I am really confused because if they needed a new sort code and a new name for the bank to access my account,

how did they manage to first get all the money that was due to them before removing the account?

I realise this is not an answer to help you, but I am in the same situation as you.

Regards

Susan1

Login to Me Too

JulieG
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Susan..... this is exactly my problem! and even after I set it all up again the first time with just a different sort code (before they told me to call it Santander) Paypal sent their two deposits of pence to verify and these went into the Bank no problem - but Paypal still told me the bank rejected it!

The Bank confirms they never rejected or sent back or cancelled anything at all.... yet Paypal insist that they did.

It's all a bit beyond me now.

Login to Me Too

pimlargo
Contributor
Contributor

Hello everyone. I have just started selling on ebay  with my Alliance & Leicester bank account. I phoned papal when I received my 2 amounts in my bank and so tried to verify, but couldnt find the page to put my amounts in, just getting to the page to put my bank details in.

So I phoned paypal who said put in my account in again but say it is Santander. Did this, and my 2 amounts have arrived in my account today along with an email from paypal saying that "This transfer was returned by your bank for reason"  " Bank account closed"

Phoned A & L who have said that many many people have had same trouble over past 2 to 3 weeks. He said to phone paypal (tried but cant get thro) and tell them new sort code 090131

I dont know if I should try to put my account in again  as Santander and this new sort code or what!!!!!!!!

Where do we go from here, I dont want to phone paypal and get someone stroppy

I am self taught on my laptop, with no help from anyone and have made MANY mistakes along the way, and now here's another one which has got me fooled

Please let me know if you find a resolution to our problem

Thanks

Login to Me Too

Theringforge
Contributor
Contributor

just had to call bank yet again to confirm Bank sort code, Account number and address to enter for the direct debit form. Was told to enter address as SANTANDER Bridle Road Bootle Merseyside GIR 0AA. If it doesn't work this time I don't know what to do. Why aren't Paypal helping with this? I don't want to open an account with another bank just for my Paypal payments and Paypal aren't much good to me If my funds are stuck in Limbo in the account

Login to Me Too

Theringforge
Contributor
Contributor

Finally got two amounts in Bank account but when I tried verifying them Paypal rejected them. I phoned paypal. Took far too long to reach an agent due to over complicated phone system (God knows how much it cost me). Was told (Eventually) that the two deposits were not from my last attempt to link my bank account but the first, which paypal had already told me through their emails had been rejected by the bank. IF THEY HAD BEEN REJECTED HOW DID THEY REACH MY ACCOUNT?. When I asked if I could wait on the correct amounts appearing in my account, I was told that this was IMPOSSIBLE and that I would have to enter my Bank Account information YET AGAIN!!!!!.  Really  REALLY getting F@&%$D OFF with all this. It looks like it is going to take (assuming it works this time) close to two weeks to get all this sorted. HOW CAN PAYPAL HAVE THE GALL TO PASS ALL OF THE BLAME ON TO THE BANKS FOR THIS SITUATION WHEN EVERY OTHER DIRECT DEBIT  SET UP ON MY ACCOUNT HAS ACCEPTED THE CHANGE OF SORT CODE WITHOUT SO MUCH AS AN EMAIL.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_lucy

Hey guys,

I have moved your posts here as there is a lot on this issue in this thread above.

I hope this helps.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.