How do I appeal a case?

Mossman451
Contributor
Contributor

I sold a $35 item on eBay.  I received an email from PayPal saying that I received the payment and to go ahead and ship the item off, which I did right away. At the end of that same day PayPal and the buyer contacted me and told me that the buyer's account was hacked into, and that they did not order the item.  The buyer started a claim and PayPal decided in their favor.  I understand that the buyer should get their money back, but in the end I lose both the payment and also the actual item I shipped off (to the fraudulent hacker) becuase PayPal told me it was okay to do so.  I thought PayPal protected us from things like this? 

Is there a way to write an email to PayPal to appeal the case without having to stay on hold on their customer service line so long?  I also don't use Facebook or Twitter.

Thanks for any input you can provide.

Login to Me Too
4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Mossman451

Normally you would be protected if you met ALL the requirements of paypal seller protection.

If you did then paypal would reimburse you.

Your best bet is to go to the bottom of this page and click on legal agreements > user agreement > and read up on seller protection and see if there is a reason that you missed out.

If you think you did meet seller protection then give customer services a call.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

You should also be protected from unauthorized use.

Read more on how you can be eligible for this protection:

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en_US#seller-protection

I believe the appeal button would take a week or so to appear after case is closed.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

Login to Me Too
Solved

Mossman451
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks very much for your responses.  Basically I lost my money seling an item using PayPal, because I used standard shipping without a tracking number.  This means when the buyer's account was hacked and someone redirected the shipment to their home fraudulently....and I received an email from PayPal assuring me I had the payment and that I could ship it to that confirmed address........that PayPal took advantage of me because they took all the money bac in the end.  That's how it works out.  No seller protection at all really.  Nice job PayPal.  Way to treat your loayal customers of so many years.

Login to Me Too
Solved

William9
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
When you use PayPal and sell items, you are taking certains risks. If it is possible to use basic bank transfer or cash on delivery or even pick up / cash I would strongly recommend those. PayPal is only good when buying. If you ship without tracking, sell only low value items with low shipping costs so when stuff like this happens it won't hurt so much. I don't know if PayPal would care if you took picture in post office which would show youe address, buyer's address and have "postage paid" etc. sticker with date on it. I always take photo in my office even when sending low value items and posr office workers know this and even ask me if I want to take photo if I don't remember to say it myself.

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Mossman451

Normally you would be protected if you met ALL the requirements of paypal seller protection.

If you did then paypal would reimburse you.

Your best bet is to go to the bottom of this page and click on legal agreements > user agreement > and read up on seller protection and see if there is a reason that you missed out.

If you think you did meet seller protection then give customer services a call.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

You should also be protected from unauthorized use.

Read more on how you can be eligible for this protection:

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en_US#seller-protection

I believe the appeal button would take a week or so to appear after case is closed.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too
Solved

Mossman451
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks very much for your responses.  Basically I lost my money seling an item using PayPal, because I used standard shipping without a tracking number.  This means when the buyer's account was hacked and someone redirected the shipment to their home fraudulently....and I received an email from PayPal assuring me I had the payment and that I could ship it to that confirmed address........that PayPal took advantage of me because they took all the money bac in the end.  That's how it works out.  No seller protection at all really.  Nice job PayPal.  Way to treat your loayal customers of so many years.

Login to Me Too
Solved

William9
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
When you use PayPal and sell items, you are taking certains risks. If it is possible to use basic bank transfer or cash on delivery or even pick up / cash I would strongly recommend those. PayPal is only good when buying. If you ship without tracking, sell only low value items with low shipping costs so when stuff like this happens it won't hurt so much. I don't know if PayPal would care if you took picture in post office which would show youe address, buyer's address and have "postage paid" etc. sticker with date on it. I always take photo in my office even when sending low value items and posr office workers know this and even ask me if I want to take photo if I don't remember to say it myself.
Login to Me Too

Mossman451
Contributor
Contributor

These are very helpful suggestions!

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

unauthorised transaction-

first look at the PAYPAL email when buyer sent payment,it should give you the buyer address and if it is eligible for seller protection-full or partial.

if you ship to that address and it qualifies for seller protection,then it doe snot have to be delivered,as long as you can prove you have shipped the item to the address prvided by paypal.

So in your case,you do not have tracking to show it has been delivered ,but you have proof you shipped so you should appeal.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

proof of shipment-

Online or physical documentation from a shipping company that includes:

• Date of shipment
  • An address for the recipient that matches the shipping address on the Transaction Details page
  • An address for the recipient showing at least the city/state, city/country, or zip/postal code (or international equivalent).
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.