eBay Nigeria scam

Rmil6617
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all 

I have sold my iPad on eBay the buyer has not paid for it. This has been going on for a couple of days they are sending me email saying they are going to make payment. The eBay account has an address in London and zero feedback. The first email I got said they are away on business and will make payment today. So I get an email today saying they have made payment via PayPal . It had a PayPal email receipt attached to it that looks very genuine they have included an extra  hundred pounds and want me to send it to Nigeria also a note on the email that states the transaction will show as pending on PayPal until I send about tracking number. 

I believe this is a scam has anyone else experienced the same thing ?. 

Login to Me Too
179 REPLIES 179

tparsons
Didn't realise how common this is! About a year ago they nearly had me, selling my iPad on eBay and I was new at the time, 'Pauline Cage' emailed me asked to pay £60 more than the buy it now price and to have it shipped to Wales. I was naive and excited so showed my boyfriend and luckily he told me it wasn't realistic. Eventually she started sending me fake emails from PayPal (which I would have believed if it wasn't for my boyfriend) saying to provide shipping number and then payment would be accessible. Then I received an email saying that she now needed the item to be sent to Nigeria for her cousins birthday present.... **bleep**. Didn't realise people go to such drastic measures as to make emails that actually look quite real. Nasty people, could easily catch out people who are new to eBay, like I was! Had another one today trying to buy my beats for £100 more than they're worth in the Apple Store and to have them shipped to Nigeria, ignoring them is always for the best, at least I know that now! Everyone always be cautious!!
Login to Me Too

PayPal_david

Hi there Tparsons.

Welcome to the Community!

Thanks for reaching out to us in regards to this. I'm sorry to hear that you nearly posted your item as a result of being targeted by a scam.

We would always advise you air on the side of caution when selling items online. If you ever receive any suspicious emails from PayPal, can you please forward them to spoof@paypal.com and we can ensure that they get investigated too.

Thanks for letting us know.

David.

Login to Me Too

Candice21

Same here.

Was offered £55 more than asking price to send to a friend in Nigeria; address :

Pelumi Olawale
24, Alafia Street, Itire
Lagos
Nigeria

Requesting I send a money request to email address:  pmshoes @ outlook . com

I had reservations straight away so thought I would check to see if anyone had had this themselves. Thankfully, I read this thread before I went as far as to even give my email address. 

Beware and trust your instincts.

Login to Me Too

Kalus23

Same happend to me in Hamburg. I wanted to sell my Canon camera, and a so called Andy told me he would pay by paypal. I prepared the parcel for London, and he sent me a paypal receit, which looked very orignal. But as I was  selling a lot over paypal i printed the originals, and realized, that Andy was a faked name, a faked person , the telephone number and address in London was wrong. Fortunately I didn´t sll my wonderful camer...so: take care. They send you many mails and press you to send.!

...you can contact me for more information.

@Rmil6617 wrote:

Hi all 

I have sold my iPad on eBay the buyer has not paid for it. This has been going on for a couple of days they are sending me email saying they are going to make payment. The eBay account has an address in London and zero feedback. The first email I got said they are away on business and will make payment today. So I get an email today saying they have made payment via PayPal . It had a PayPal email receipt attached to it that looks very genuine they have included an extra  hundred pounds and want me to send it to Nigeria also a note on the email that states the transaction will show as pending on PayPal until I send about tracking number. 

I believe this is a scam has anyone else experienced the same thing ?. 

Login to Me Too

AnnaSergeeva
The same thing happened to me today. Starting from early morning, I have received many emails from a buyer who wanted to buy my iPhone 5s on Ebay. She said that her son has a birthday and she urgently needs the iphone to be posted ASAP so her son receives it the same day. Then she gave me an address in Nigeria, while the address on the ebay was in London (and obviously, by any possible means the iphone would be able to reach her the same evening). I became suspicious at this part, and everything became quite obvious soon when she said she had send me the payment (even more than the requested amount). Of course, it never reached me, so I had to politely reply that I am not sending anything until I see money in my paypal account or on ebay. Then she stopped replying, and I found some "PayPal" emails in my junk folder with the same stuff which people mentioned here, while when you click on the sender's info it was a creepy email..I have reported the user on ebay straight away. I hope that many people will find this thread and will be careful not to believe these f......rs!
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@AnnaSergeeva

The ebay account would have been hacked and used without the owners consent .

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

websun
New Community Member

There is an easy way to bypass this, set your payment policy to "Require immediate payment when buyer uses Buy it now"
Also, never ship to another address than the one provided on the buy. Scam or not.

Login to Me Too

papayogo
Contributor
Contributor

Any email received by Paypal will come with a notification email and will show in your Paypal Activity. The scam email looks real but if you don't see any activity in your account and in any doubt always call Paypal and conform. Do Not Send Anything without conforming from Paypal and the Money in your account. If you send the parcel you won't be able to stop it.  

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@papayogo

Good advice but just to add to that > you can sometimes stop it as some post offices will return items that have not been sent AND if the parcel has a return address on it and its on the way to Nigeria then contact Nigeria post as they have been known to stop the parcel and return it for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

roseannascragg
New Community Member

Oh my Gosh!! The same thing has just happaned to me.. it was so close. I was searching for 'Cost of posting to nigeria' on Google and saw this thread come up.

A person has offered to buy my iphone for £230 which is £30 MORE than what I was selling it for, so that it would cover the cost of the item to nigeria. They said I would have to give them my direct email adress and paypal username, becuase of some bulls*** about them having a faulty ebay account which would not let them bid or pay for things. I did not know about these kinds of scams.

Then once I had given them my paypal email address for them to send the money, I checked my paypal account and there was no money in there, even after I got a 'confirmation email' which I have pasted below.

at first you don't notice, but then you can see spelling mistakes and parts which dont make sense. 

Also they ask for the tracking number, and say that Paypal wont release your funds untill you proove you have posted the item.. such crap! Then they can just take your phone becasue you've posted it, and never give you any money! It was literally so close.. beware everyone!!

the ebay account I was targetted by was 

nigeljagman1954 and the email address was joleighrig(a)outlook.com

BEWARE

Transaction ID : 1R498997AR159660D | Transaction Time : April. 10, 2016 02:46:32pm BST  

Your funds are now available.

Hello 

The funds from this eBay payment is clear and now available in our secure vault. And will only reflect on your PayPal payment history upon receipt of the shipment tracking number from you. This is because in the past some sellers have exploited these payment method in order to defraud buyers, so to crate safety and secure trading environment for both buyer and seller we require you to dispatch the item and send tracking number to us to process fund into your account..

IMPORTANT NOTE: Do not send the tracking number to buyer until we process your fund. And for reference purpose, kindly reply to this email when sending tracking number to expedite your fund release. We do not accept tracking number through phone call.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.