eBay Nigeria scam

Rmil6617
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all 

I have sold my iPad on eBay the buyer has not paid for it. This has been going on for a couple of days they are sending me email saying they are going to make payment. The eBay account has an address in London and zero feedback. The first email I got said they are away on business and will make payment today. So I get an email today saying they have made payment via PayPal . It had a PayPal email receipt attached to it that looks very genuine they have included an extra  hundred pounds and want me to send it to Nigeria also a note on the email that states the transaction will show as pending on PayPal until I send about tracking number. 

I believe this is a scam has anyone else experienced the same thing ?. 

Login to Me Too
179 REPLIES 179

Katiejames476
New Community Member
I received an email from a guy called Ronnie,wanting to buy my tablet and iPhone. He said all the right things and seemed very nice. I sent a request for him to pay the money and an email came through saying he had payed and a PayPal confirmation email said I need to ship the product. PayPal doesn't need a PayPal confirmation of shipping before you recieve the money.logged into my PayPal and it says that it is still pending, did a quote to send to Nigeria and it was really expensive. I'm gonna contact PayPal and see what they say, I am NOT sending the item! SCAM don't send to Nigeria and check your PayPal before sending to check the payment had actually been made
Login to Me Too

Lizee1974

Thank you for this post, it has just prevented me making a huge mistake 🙂

Login to Me Too

A____R
New Community Member

Hi! 

The same thing just happened to be. Definitely a scam. 

Login to Me Too

Eyvette

Yes, I was just scammed last week.  I sold my playstation, 7 games and other items.  I found out after I mailed it that it was a scam.  Neither PayPal or Ebay will do anything to refund your loss.  I was told that I should have done my research first.  They are aware of the Nigerian Scam.  If you google Nigerian Ebay scam, you will see you are not the only one.  Sorry  

Login to Me Too

Rossi7
New Community Member

Hi,

Same thing happened to me couple days ago, and stupidly I fell for it. Sent the item uploaded tracking number and still the money had not gone through, which is when I realised something was going on. I had received emails claiming to be from eBay and PayPal stating the the money had been removed from the buyers account but was being held until the trackig number was provided to (ironicly) prevent fraud. This is when I contacted eBay about it and they confirmed with me that is was indeed a scam and that there was nothing they could do. Few hours later I got an e-mail from eBay telling me that the buyers account was shut down for suspicious activity. The person who bought it said it was a birthday present for their Pastor in Nigeria, so I was kind enough to wrap it up and present it nicely for his birthday. So now im £70 out of pocket!!!

Login to Me Too

remyboyzz
New Community Member

ha! isnt that crazy i almsot sold a phone today and word for word got the same scam as you! amazing people actually try pulling this

Login to Me Too

daisy_les
Contributor
Contributor

Hi people.

Unfortunately, I have just found this forum after returning from the post office to send my son's Adidas shoes to Margaret's "step-son" in Nigeria. It was only after close questioning by the Post Office that I actually though to come online to check - so am now £70 out of pocket!!! I telephoned the Post Office helpine but as the parcel has already been handed over by me and the postage paid, they are unable to keep it!! I understand they have rules - just gutted we have been caught out.

These are the details of the "buyer":

maggylewss at gm . com

And this is from "pay(not)pal:

service at paypal.co.uk (which is actually sent by helpcareservice at consultant.com)

The shipping address was:

Johnson Emmanuel

41c Awolowo Avenue Sapon

Abeokuta

Ogun

Nigeria

I hop too many other people don't get caught out.

Les 😞

If something seems too good to be true, it's usually not!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@daisy_les

Thats ridiculous. I have known plenty of other posters that have managed to go back and reclaim their parcels.

Phone them again and say that if they don't let you have it back they are complicit in a fraud.

Failing that we had one poster on here that got hold of Nigeria post and they refused to deliver the item once they realised it was a scam and returned the item back to the seller.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

daisy_les
Contributor
Contributor

Many thanks for your advice! I have just emailed Nigeria Post so hopefully I will get the shoes back! 🙂

Login to Me Too

Angelo9481

Hey guys i have encountered something similar as well. 

I listed a pair of shoes on eBay for $120, and a few hours later an eBay use under the name "beni.aaro" messaged me on eBay saying that she is keen on the shoes and is willing to pay $135 for the shoes. The shoes were an unwanted gift so i thought $135 is not bad, then she proceeded to tell me to send her a PayPal invoice of 135. I did that and told her and did not hear from her for a while.

After 10 hours, she private messaged me through my email account (which was provided to her after i have sent her the invoice), telling me that she is buying the shoes for her stepson in NIGERIA (her email is maggylewss(at)gmail(dot)com, name Margaret Lewis). I was a bit mad at this point as she did not inform me on this factor, but she said she has additionally included another $30 for the international tracked shipping. Along with this, I also recieved emails from "service(at)paypal(dot)co(dot)uk" telling me that the money is safe with paypal and it will be released once i ship the item and CONTACT that particular email attaching the tracking number and shipping confirmation. The part that got me was that the email was from the preisdent of PayPal "David A. Marcus." First of all why would the president directly contact me, also i should recieve the money before i send off the item, and David Marcus retired as president of paypal in March 2014 to go to Facebook! Stupid scammers, at least update your basic information before trying to scam. Also guys, the real paypal email is "service(at)intl(dot)paypal(dot)com"

The best part is that this women told me that the shoes was for her stepson in Nigeria who is with his dying mother, and that she works as an air hostess so she has no time to buy him things and send the things to him. These people will play with your emotions and urge you the send the item as soon as possible. And paypal is not availabe in Nigeria, also their emails which are supposed to be from PayPal has really weird font and there are various grammitcal errors. Please dont fall for this guys, dont ship any items from eBay if the buyer has chose to privately contact you through email! 

This is the email she has sent me, hope this helps :

"I'm buying the shoes for my stepson and he's currently in Nigeria now. His mother is very sick, she was diagnosed for cancer and has only 2 months to live as said by the doctor. It's an emotional home return for my little prince. I could never ask for more, the bond we share and to top it off he's the best in class. He told me he want to spend those weeks with his mum and wants her to die in his arms.. Very touching to hear him say that and he's only 16. Im trying all i can to cheer him up cos i love him so much. I will be responsible for any loss..I would have loved to have it posted to him myself but my work does not permit time. I work as an air hostess and my days are fixed up. By the time I finish at work the post office would be closed. Kindly make sure the item is posted tomorrow"

A load of crap really. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.