Significantly Not As Described return for refund....if buyer pays for return shipping

namestreetcity
Contributor
Contributor

According to the Paypal process when you file a claim for an item that is significantly not as described, you must return the item at your cost in order for Paypal to issue a refund for the amount you paid, not the return shipping costs. You have 10 days to provide Paypal with a tracking number. Paypal doesn't allow you to post a reply. You send the item back or in 10 days the claim is closed.

Buyers are being forced to pay to received goods the seller didn't described accurately, and in some cases, honestly.

I think that is wrong.

When you can prove that an item is significantly not as described, then Paypal should refund your entire costs of the item including shipping both ways. Sellers can take advantage of Paypal's forcing buyers to pay for return shipping.

If a buyer doesn't like something or changes their mind, and wants to return it, then the return shipping should be paid by the buyer.

Login to Me Too
181 REPLIES 181

marcos10
Contributor
Contributor

You are right. The jacket was a piece of garbage. I would really liked for jacket top right. It was light and cheap. Then they wasnted to send me another jacket that they carry that I could have ordered in the first place and charge me additonal money for shipping. No Way  I found a better quality jacket in AJ Wright for half the prive. Just like I wanted.

Login to Me Too

fergman
Contributor
Contributor

get this.........pay pal doent cover vehicles purchases in ebay motors....only parts.   So I paid 6000.00 for a jeep,  went to pick it up...it was not as described.....told seller to keep it,  seller said they would refund money.......it never happened... so I contact pay pal.......and they said they dont cover vehicles..........just parts.  WTF... so now I am out 6000.00 paid  to the seller  thru  pay pal ..and I have no jeep and no money refunded....

Login to Me Too

oldenpisdhoff
Contributor
Contributor

I am truly sorry for you Fergman. If your transaction happened as you say, you should research other LEGAL means to recoup your money. It is a real shame that you lost that amount of money.

Again, I am sorry for you and have been an unfortunate victim as you many many years ago. keep us posted on your progress with this.

oldenpisdhoff

Login to Me Too

reachout
Contributor
Contributor

Hey fergman   I feel your pain with this huge loss.  We want to sell vehicles on-line and Ebay and this is good lesson for us.  If we sell vehicle I think we will ask for small deposit then collect balance after buyer inspects.  We can also give title at that time although not sure we will pursue vehicle sales with the way Pay Pal is treating buyers and sellers.   Does the Jeep you bid have any value close to $6000.00 $  Maybe you can at least retrieve some money.  Good Luck.

Login to Me Too

Paulmono38
Contributor
Contributor

well this is a disaster about all this ebay and paypal, the seller did not return my money shipping and ebay told me that they can not do nothing because is not on their police to make the seller pay.

So about the car is good to know about that but  sorry about you loss but Im sure you can get legal  I have been watchin  tv on case judge Judy and another and sometime come to watch case about ebay and another internet web, acording them they are real cases hehehe but the thing you can go to police station and put them complain. Well  I want to buy a car espacial a minivan cheap and I was looking close from I live and I found someone was selling a minivan the auction for the van was end without get the price he was asking and I contact him by phone I went to see the van and was like he described exept he told me there that he recently change the engine heads, he did not told me why I did not buy the van first because the windishiel need remplace and he was asking for 2000 and I wanted give him 1800 so I went home and I talked with a friend that is mecanic and my brother in law is mechanic and told me that this van will be very soon brocken because the engine was heater before so I did not call him he did not described about that, and that good thing I did not buy it and im still loking for a good minivan but not in ebay but maybe there but first I going to see.

Login to Me Too

lindajd88
Contributor
Contributor

First mistake... buying from Hong Kong! I purchased a new game for my grandson's DS, and Happy Birthday! It didn't work. Now paypal says I must return the $21.99 game to China and provide delivery confirmation, or my claim will be dropped! It would cost me $20 to send the item back registered mail! I'm disappointed that paypal requires that we return the item, especially when it is overseas and the options for confirmation are limited and expensive. No more Hong Kong and no more Paypal for me. I'm very disappointed both in the seller and in Paypal.

Login to Me Too

lindajd88
Contributor
Contributor

First mistake... buying from Hong Kong! I purchased a new game for my grandson's DS, and Happy Birthday! It didn't work. Now paypal says I must return the $21.99 game to China and provide delivery confirmation, or my claim will be dropped! It would cost me $20 to send the item back registered mail! I'm disappointed that paypal requires that we return the item, especially when it is overseas and the options for confirmation are limited and expensive. No more Hong Kong and no more Paypal for me. I'm very disappointed both in the seller and in Paypal.

Login to Me Too

JohnDF

I agree. I just bought a " new" bike frame that turned out to have a crack in one of the welds and Paypal and eBay want me to send the item back with no guarantee on re-imbursement for return shipping even if the item is defective which it is. And this is a large item, it wont be cheap to send back. What kind of protection is that? Who is controlling the site? I'm going to have to try contacting the seller personally to get  a guarantee. 

Login to Me Too

oldenpisdhoff
Contributor
Contributor

That right JohnDF. Where you are caught with an almost non-win situation, PayPal/Ebay should have made sure long ago we people (buyers) wouldn't have to contend with product situations like these. It certainly makes me wonder who in the heck on PP/Ebay set the policies. The last thing we buyers want to worry about are return shipping charges.

Login to Me Too

daheck
Contributor
Contributor

My situation is pretty much the same. A seller from China who had a good ebay profile sold me a "16GB micro SD" card for $21 and change. It took over a month to receive and in that time I filed a did not receive the product claim and on the same day i filed the claim they sent the item to me and sent Paypal the tracking numbers to "prove" they had shipped the product to me. The act of them sending Paypal the tracking number is enough for Paypal to close the claim in their favor. Now I receive the product 2 weeks later so it's now a month and a half since i purchased the product. The item arrives and it does not work at frickin all. I can't reopen another claim on the item as being "Significantly Not as Described..." because I have all ready filed a claim for not receiving the product in the first place. So i emailed and I get a reply back from Paypal saying that they have opened a claim for "Significantly Not as Described...." on my behalf and we proceed with this. Now I get a message from Paypal saying that the seller will refund my money if I send the item back to China. Well it's gonna cost me $28 to send the item back to them in a "trackable" way for something that originally cost me $21 that as it turns out is completely worthless. Which, as it turns out, Paypal is in this situation, "Completely Worthless". I understand that buyer beware and all that and will chalk it up to that and understand that I will make different decisions about where I buy product from and know that Paypal won't be there for buyers in these situations.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.