Significantly Not As Described return for refund....if buyer pays for return shipping

namestreetcity
Contributor
Contributor

According to the Paypal process when you file a claim for an item that is significantly not as described, you must return the item at your cost in order for Paypal to issue a refund for the amount you paid, not the return shipping costs. You have 10 days to provide Paypal with a tracking number. Paypal doesn't allow you to post a reply. You send the item back or in 10 days the claim is closed.

Buyers are being forced to pay to received goods the seller didn't described accurately, and in some cases, honestly.

I think that is wrong.

When you can prove that an item is significantly not as described, then Paypal should refund your entire costs of the item including shipping both ways. Sellers can take advantage of Paypal's forcing buyers to pay for return shipping.

If a buyer doesn't like something or changes their mind, and wants to return it, then the return shipping should be paid by the buyer.

Login to Me Too
181 REPLIES 181

icecrmluvr
Contributor
Contributor

I totally agree.  PayPal should be charging the SELLER the return shipping when an item they sell is "Significantly NOT as described" .  Why should the buyer be charged for the return shipping? And, like you stated, PayPal does not allow you to respond or communicate with them on the issues.  This is robbery and I am almost to the point of saying "TO HELL WITH EBAY and PAYPAL"!!!!!!!!!!  This has happened to me twice just recently and I am mad as hell!!!

Login to Me Too

knaak24

I don't understand. You don't want the seller to pay return shipping but it sounds as it you don't think the buyer should pay return shipping. So which one is it? My situation: I received an item "not as described." They paid my return shipping costs but not the cost of the item. EBay and PayPal sided with the SELLER! I followed the return policy to a "T."  Any ideas?

Login to Me Too

memmaswolf
Contributor
Contributor

Well it tells you when you bid on something that it is a binding contract. So I would think that if they can hold you to having to pay for something then you should be able to hold them to there agreement also. I think I would look into it and talk to a lawyer and see what they would say. You may end up with more a LOT more then what wasn't refunded.

Login to Me Too

oldenpisdhoff
Contributor
Contributor

I agree. I bought an item of several hundred dollars value. The item was heavy as the shipping was. The item worked for a few minutes and the seller lied through his teeth and slandered me in an effort to have the transaction litigated his way. I was entitled to return the item but the sipping both ways yet cost me several hundred dollars. This is way out of bounds unfair to the buyer as it does not encourage the seller to work with integrety.

Login to Me Too

scottie49er
New Community Member

This is why dishonest sellers use PayPal.  Not so easy to cancel and dispute, like with a credit card charge.  Also, no phone number to contact anyone live.  I should have know better!!

Login to Me Too

KarenMcLovin
Contributor
Contributor

The vast majority of my purchases are in as good or better than described or pictured.  But there are some out there who do not describe accurately and eBay is almost like a catalogue- a catalogue will generally replace your broken, torn, incorrect items.  unless the Seller has multiples of the same item it is generally not possible for the Seller to replace clothing, cd's, jewelry, dishes. If the item you receive from eBay reeks of mildew or other unpleasant (possibly harmful) smells or is poorly and inadequately packaged or if the item is trash or a piece of junk or NOT as described then the Seller SHOULD have to pay for the return.

Also some people just do not like to return items- they buy, not sell and the hassle of having to buy the container to send it back and the postage and the Delivery Confirmation and then the Seller could still say it's excellent.

There ARE some very dishonest Sellers just out to make a buck or bucks and they do NOT care how they do it, and will give the Seller the Runaround.

Sometimes the 'return' address is not the one that is on your package., people selling items they have never seen,

sometimes a glass/china item is broken- sometimes broken BEFORE being packaged- it happened to us once.  As eBay has so many unprofessional wrappers it may take them a while to learn how to wrap and package properly.  The wrong items can be put in the wrong envelope or box.  LP's should be shipped outside the slipcase as the journey could cause split seams for an expensive vintage LP (maybe even a new one)

One Seller used a red star stamper to mark his china - easily removed but prevented less-than-honest Buyers from trying to do a bait&switch.

Photos can be used to 'prove' to the Seller that the item is not as described.

But Sellers should be very honest in their descriptions, and view them in natural light and have good vision and sense of smell and then package the merchandise properly and safely as needed.

kMc

Login to Me Too

klockewise
New Community Member

Okay.  I just had a situation where I bought a Nintendo Wii game that was advertised as "New".  I am new to Ebay and didn't notice until after I submitted my bid that the item was in China.  But, oh well, it was $16.50 for a $50. game so I thought, what the heck.  Well, when I received it, it was a fake, and a really bad one.  The seller asked me to return it for a refund, but I told him/her that I thought he should pay the shipping.  He offered to give a refund without returning it for positive feedback.  Of course I refused.  So I filed a claim with Paypal.  The only way to get a refund is to return it and pay the shipping charges myself--with tracking information.  To return it to China and have it trackable would cost like $38.00!!  I have been trying to contact Paypal by email since two days after filing the claim, and all I get in return is a form email letting me know I can contact them if I need help with my claim. So when I didn't provide the tracking information, they closed my claim and said sorry, hope you settled it on your own.  Either the seller or Paypal or both really have this thing figured out.  Seems like the seller knew it wouldn't be worth it to me to return it or Paypal knows the same thing.  Either way I am really annoyed.  The point isn't the $16.50--the point is getting ripped off.  And the guarantee from Paypal is pretty pathetic.  I guess I have to call them, but that is long distance.  I guess it's lesson learned.  Thanks for letting me rant.  Nobody at Paypal seems to want to hear it.

Login to Me Too

Readytorock
Contributor
Contributor

I've bought very few things on ebay.

Have had about 25% of my buys turn sour.

Just sent an item back to the seller and awaiting refund. I hope everything works out for me! LOL!

Yeah Right!

As soon as I get the refund, I'm closing the PayPal account and rbay account.

They are both a ripoff, in my humble opinion.

Login to Me Too

knaak24

Same thing with me. I let the seller know immediately that the item was not as described. I sent it back and all they refuned was my return shipping costs! You are right, it's not the $10.00 it the principle of the matter. I followed there return policy exactly as they explained and they sided with the seller? Can't believe it. I've read that people want to use checks and wait 7 days, old school, but works. Some mention google check out and I don't know how to do that, any ideas? Oh, and thanks for the rant too.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.