HORRIBLE IDEA TO HOLD FUNDS FOR 21 DAYS!!!

gearhed78
Contributor
Contributor

Holding funds from sellers until the buyer leaves feedback is the worst idea EVER! Since when does Paypal become an authority on buyer satisfaction?? A smooth transaction is all that I wanted from Paypal. If they are going to hold funds, then they should make it very clear BEFORE you use them!  Keeping my money in their account for 21 days is a HUGE disadvantage of using Paypal. Stick to transferring funds,not trying to be a satisfaction authority!

Login to Me Too
6,286 REPLIES 6,286

l-js_things
Contributor
Contributor

Good answer!  The hold is an inconvenience at best.  When I called customer service they said it was temporary for a review.  After reading these posts - I believe that not to be true.  I think the real problem is: 1) no notice and poor communication about this policy BEFORE it went into effect  2) No feedback on eBay complicates things for the seller and funds - at no fault of their own  3) Keeping shipping costs low I ship International First Class Mail that can not have a tracking number - so I am penalized for making low cost shipping available to buyers 4) As someone else stated - it gives an advantage to dishonest buyers who can manipulate the policy 5) Shipping releases are Vital for sellers and not to do so is disadvantageous to eBay as well. 

What can be done about it is the question!  Would like to hear some true ideas of what can be done.

@SirTinLee wrote:

I have no problem with the hold per se; however, I do have a problem with PayPal's action of withholding funds without furnishing a simple way for a seller to get those funds released earlier than the 21 days.  Also, I agree with you, they should atleast allow the seller to use the money paid for shipping.   The problem with us though is that it doesn't matter what we think or feel about this situation, PayPal is going to do what we let them get away with.   Not to sound contradictory, but I think we all have done enough complaining, it's time we worked together to solve this problem.  Is anyone on board?

Login to Me Too

7yearseller
Contributor
Contributor

To thestuffyoulove

Paypal does release the shipping funds within 24 hours of the label being printed through PAYPAL, not eBAY, but PAYPAL. When you click on print label and it opens to eBay label, look at the top of that page and choose Paypal. According to the moderator Paypal_Andy, the shipping funds, after the label is printed with your monies, is released within seconds to 24 hours.

I can see how if there are many, many items being shipped that this might be confusing for the seller and possibly not as fast, although no one said that. Just an observation.

Login to Me Too

the_grot_shoppe
Contributor
Contributor

7Year - it's been 2 weeks and I still can not print  a label through paypal. I don't mean ebay, I mean Paypal, through their site.

I have $70 bucks sitting there that I can't access for labels or anything else so your 24 hour theory is incorrect.

Login to Me Too

Djten
Contributor
Contributor

Thestuffyoulove:

Has anybody ever used Moneybookers, ProPay, or PayMate with success?.....

I don't think eBay allows any other money transfer system except PayPal.

Login to Me Too

thestuffyoulove
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I know I've seen options on Ebay for ProPay, PayMate, and MoneyBookers.

Login to Me Too

7yearseller
Contributor
Contributor

@thestuffyoulove wrote:

Hmmm, so I had way over $1000 pending release, and Paypal charges my bank account for shipping on orders that they are holding funds for.  I wonder if Paypal would cover any overdraft charges caused by this, ummm, "buyer protection" policy?  I personally think that Paypal should use the funds that the buyer sent 'in good faith' to pay for shipping the order!

I ship way too many orders to keep track of which funds have been released, and which are still held after confirmation shows the package was delivered.  I've pretty much been reduced to begging for feedback from my buyers.  We all know that only about 20% of buyers actually take the time to leave feedback, and counting on the order showing as "delivered" is spotty at best.

I've been selling since 2001, have almost 13,000 feedbacks...100% positive.  I think this should qualify for a funds hold release.  Has anybody even had the 21-day hold lifted?  It clearly states that all accounts will be reviewed.  I use my Paypal account to re-order supplies.  Now it's VERY difficult to keep some items in stock 😞   It's killing me!

Has anybody ever used Moneybookers, ProPay, or PayMate with success?

I have had the hold on my funds lifted, but I don't sell hundreds of items at a time. It was suggested by Paypal_Andy, a moderator here, to keep some of your shipping funds (in your case since you have so many transactions, it would just be keeping some of the money in Paypal to pay for the next shipments so not to come from your back up funding)

Moneybookers gives you 50% and holds the balance for 6 months or as they put it 180 days. ProPay, for the amount of business you do, cost $79.95, and when I saw that, I went no further. I do not know if they have a  hold. Paymate, from my understanding, also has a hold. I believe eBay allows (you will have to check) you to use a merchant account which you can go to your bank and open. For those with not the best of credit, there are merchant accounts online for 29.95 a month and a percentage that is not so bad. They also add a gateway fee, and I can't remember that amount. I believe that is all that they charge, but it still takes about 5 days for the monies to be deposited into your checking account.

Good luck with whatever you find works for you. I can see how dealing with so many orders can become confusing, and it is entirely possible that it will take longer for holds with many transactions to be lifted. But, even with that said, if the holds are lifted, they can come back. This was stated by a moderator here. The sheer volume of your transactions may be the reason you still have the hold.

Just because I understand why they are doing this does not mean I really like it. I understand it has hurt a lot of sellers who don't have the money to ship items. It has affected me in my selling income. I cannot ship furniture that will not go by UPS or FedEx and have the shipping released because I can't print the label with a tracking number through Paypal. Thus, I am losing hundreds of dollars each month because I do not have the extra  $150 - $ 250 shipping I would not have released until the receipt of the furniture by the customer. So, although I am called names by another here for being pro-Paypal, that is not necessarily the case. I just understand and you can't argue with logic. After all, the economy has affected everything, and Paypal is not immune. I think we would all agree it would be worse if they went bankrupt and were out of business, right? At least we have the choice now of accepting it as it is or having to find another way to accept money, and as long as it is by selling on eBay, it has to be one of those they allow. Paypal, and of course this makes sense for eBay, is still the best choice from what they allow.

The link that one of the sellers posted regarding Paypal and eBay is where I got the information that Paypal carries eBay, so Paypal can't afford to bleed money, the best way I can describe it when sellers who never intend to deliver could take their payment directly out of Paypal to their back up funding checking and then remove that leaving Paypal to fund the chargeback. Too much of this, if steps are not taken, can close a company if they do not do something to fix it, and this is what they did to be sure they were not going to be the ones paying the debts of the malicious sellers on here. Have you paid attention enough to notice sellers who had been on here for years with no negatives and then at the end of their selling, there may be a whole page of negatives for not shipping? Guess where the money to pay those buyers came from? Not from that seller who is no longer a registered member ! And, these were at one time good sellers. Some come on here with never an intention of shipping to anyone but merely to collect the money and leave.

If you owned Paypal, wouldn't you make sure you had that covered if you were losing money left and right? especially if you are the major breadwinner of Paypal and eBay?

Yes, my posts are long, but they are not empty words. Hopefully this is insightful enough to help some realize we really don't have it so bad, that this is something that Paypal had to do to stay afloat to keep eBay afloat (without borrowing from China Smiley Wink ) Oops! guess that may not be an option anymore !

Login to Me Too

BTheGusto
Contributor
Contributor

I totally agree w/U.  This is ridiculous and who ever came up w/this should wake up and realize this is a horrible and stupid idea.  They show ways to avoid this hold from being set in place and I fit into every category description and yet they still have a hold on my account.  Is there anything that can be done from this happening again?  This is total BS and I have never heard of such a control issue with anyone buying anything anywhere online before.  When I buy something online I send my money and receive my item.  If there is a problem with the item I then send it back and request a refund and that is that.  There has to be something that can be done from this happening again.  If anyone has any ideas like boycotting this somehow please let me know.  Once again this is total BS and should be stopped and not allowed. 

Login to Me Too

SirTinLee
Contributor
Contributor

@BTheGusto wrote:

I totally agree w/U.  This is ridiculous and who ever came up w/this should wake up and realize this is a horrible and stupid idea.  They show ways to avoid this hold from being set in place and I fit into every category description and yet they still have a hold on my account.  Is there anything that can be done from this happening again?  This is total BS and I have never heard of such a control issue with anyone buying anything anywhere online before.  When I buy something online I send my money and receive my item.  If there is a problem with the item I then send it back and request a refund and that is that.  There has to be something that can be done from this happening again.  If anyone has any ideas like boycotting this somehow please let me know.  Once again this is total BS and should be stopped and not allowed. 

Read the Post: 

Login to Me Too

terese2
Contributor
Contributor

Sad but true.  The so-called fixes offered by the Paypal apologists are a joke. And IA m sorry to say that some of the posters on this site are. . .how shall we say. . .unencumbered by the truth. 

Login to Me Too

7yearseller
Contributor
Contributor

@terese2 wrote:

Sad but true.  The so-called fixes offered by the Paypal apologists are a joke. And IA m sorry to say that some of the posters on this site are. . .how shall we say. . .unencumbered by the truth. 

We, the ones who have actually been continuing to sell on eBay and have actually tried the fixes we recommend by posting are stating fact. Only those with absolutely nothing to do but retort to facts with libelous remarks would have the time to come on here and post a lie stating what has worked for them. What is working for you, therese? Is just posting that you hate Paypal and that they are all of the names you call them actually getting you anything but a little attention.

I don't like to come back at someone like this, but you just called all of those with positive experiences in having their holds lifted liars. Yes, that is exactly what you did. Interestingly enough, we are the only ones with a positive solution. 

I do not see how someone who has not even sold since this started, which btw was over a year ago, can say what works and what doesn't. If you don't try something, then don't call others liars, which is exactly what you are doing. Do you think you could post something that might actually help someone rather than banter on about how others are wrong and you are the only one who knows how this is working for those continuing to sell.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.