HORRIBLE IDEA TO HOLD FUNDS FOR 21 DAYS!!!

gearhed78
Contributor
Contributor

Holding funds from sellers until the buyer leaves feedback is the worst idea EVER! Since when does Paypal become an authority on buyer satisfaction?? A smooth transaction is all that I wanted from Paypal. If they are going to hold funds, then they should make it very clear BEFORE you use them!  Keeping my money in their account for 21 days is a HUGE disadvantage of using Paypal. Stick to transferring funds,not trying to be a satisfaction authority!

Login to Me Too
6,286 REPLIES 6,286

SirTinLee
Contributor
Contributor
Spoiler

Wow, I tried to put myself in PayPal's shoes after I read your post and was dumb founded.  How in the **bleep** can they justify their actions?  Well, I'm not familiar with ProPay or PayMate, but I did get verified with Alertpay.  Something needs to be done about the unfairness of PayPal's actions.  Maybe we can all start brainstorming to come up with a solution.  Simply leaving PayPal to use another transmitter might hurt us more than help, so hopefully we can keep a cool head and work together to solve this issue. 

@thestuffyoulove wrote:

Hmmm, so I had way over $1000 pending release, and Paypal charges my bank account for shipping on orders that they are holding funds for.  I wonder if Paypal would cover any overdraft charges caused by this, ummm, "buyer protection" policy?  I personally think that Paypal should use the funds that the buyer sent 'in good faith' to pay for shipping the order!

I ship way too many orders to keep track of which funds have been released, and which are still held after confirmation shows the package was delivered.  I've pretty much been reduced to begging for feedback from my buyers.  We all know that only about 20% of buyers actually take the time to leave feedback, and counting on the order showing as "delivered" is spotty at best.

I've been selling since 2001, have almost 13,000 feedbacks...100% positive.  I think this should qualify for a funds hold release.  Has anybody even had the 21-day hold lifted?  It clearly states that all accounts will be reviewed.  I use my Paypal account to re-order supplies.  Now it's VERY difficult to keep some items in stock 😞   It's killing me!

Has anybody ever used Moneybookers, ProPay, or PayMate with success?

Login to Me Too

Pfish

Petty sure P-not so Pal is holding the funds in an interest bearing account and making money off this. 3 weeks!!! are they kidding? what if one needed those funds, which are rightfully theirs, to pay a mortgage. Guess it's foreclosure time.

Login to Me Too

thestuffyoulove
Contributor
Contributor

I really do think that this policy is reasonable for NEW PayPal users, or sellers with "a less than stellar" feedback rating (say below 95% positive feedback...A DEFINITE INCENTIVE FOR THE SELLER TO DO BETTER!!), but those of us that have been here for years, it's a little stiffling, and a tad unfair to penalize us for the actions of others.

Like I said, PayPal should at minimum allow us to use the "pending" funds sent by the buyer(s) to pay for shipping their order(s), instead of our available funds.

I would even go so far to suggest that Paypal give us a cut of the interest they're surely making off of "our" money that they are holding.

Just a thought  Man Wink

Login to Me Too

SirTinLee
Contributor
Contributor

I have no problem with the hold per se; however, I do have a problem with PayPal's action of withholding funds without furnishing a simple way for a seller to get those funds released earlier than the 21 days.  Also, I agree with you, they should atleast allow the seller to use the money paid for shipping.   The problem with us though is that it doesn't matter what we think or feel about this situation, PayPal is going to do what we let them get away with.   Not to sound contradictory, but I think we all have done enough complaining, it's time we worked together to solve this problem.  Is anyone on board?

Login to Me Too

thestuffyoulove
Contributor
Contributor

Like I said, the hold should be for new or unkown sellers....not those of us who strive and sweat to maintain good customer service, and avoid negative feedback.  

Anyway, I do think that when PayPal announced the brainstorming session for this new policy, the employees must have thought they said "Rain Storming", and decided not to show up....*TADUMP*  

Certainly, consideration should have been given to long-term PayPal members, or at least those Ebay sellers with a minimum feedback score, and maintain a minimum feedback rating.

Check my feedback rating.  Of course there are other sellers with better/more feedbacks than mine, but I think that my hard work and account age should count for SOMEthing!

thestuffthatyoulove

Login to Me Too

7yearseller
Contributor
Contributor

It's not a new policy. Go to Paypal policy 10.4. It has been there since the beginning. Those this has not happened to before have just never seen it, but this hold has been going on for a long time. This is just the first time it has affected those who have come here including me, and I have 100%  and 5.0s. My 'red flad', to Paypal/eBay was not selling consistently for a while, thus I lost my 'track record' of selling those particular items, so like a newbie I had to prove myself again. I did, and I have no hold now.

Login to Me Too

l-js_things
Contributor
Contributor

How long before the hold was removed? Just asking so I have an idea how long mine might be in place.  Thanks.

@7yearseller wrote:

It's not a new policy. Go to Paypal policy 10.4. It has been there since the beginning. Those this has not happened to before have just never seen it, but this hold has been going on for a long time. This is just the first time it has affected those who have come here including me, and I have 100%  and 5.0s. My 'red flad', to Paypal/eBay was not selling consistently for a while, thus I lost my 'track record' of selling those particular items, so like a newbie I had to prove myself again. I did, and I have no hold now.

Login to Me Too

l-js_things
Contributor
Contributor

@l-js_things wrote:

How long before the hold was removed? Just asking so I have an idea how long mine might be in place.  Thanks.

@7yearseller wrote:

Your right 7year! I am off hold!  Just kept doing what I always do and now business as usual without holds! Listen to 7year - she/he knows what's what I say!!

Login to Me Too

7yearseller
Contributor
Contributor

@SirTinLee wrote:

I have no problem with the hold per se; however, I do have a problem with PayPal's action of withholding funds without furnishing a simple way for a seller to get those funds released earlier than the 21 days.  Also, I agree with you, they should atleast allow the seller to use the money paid for shipping.   The problem with us though is that it doesn't matter what we think or feel about this situation, PayPal is going to do what we let them get away with.   Not to sound contradictory, but I think we all have done enough complaining, it's time we worked together to solve this problem.  Is anyone on board?

That's all I have been doing for the longest time, but someone who uses the same avatar or whatever the drawing is called beside your name, is intent on antagonizing and berating Paypal and cheers on people who are upset. I have posted all of the information given to me by a moderator here, and it has worked for me. My funds are not on hold any longer. Let's face it, some are just negative and complainers, but then another here said it is just venting. I actually gave up on anyone wanting to understand, but I had to come back to see what was happening, and it was the same old thing. I wish we could all come together, but that is not what the naysayers want..sadly Smiley Sad

Login to Me Too

7yearseller
Contributor
Contributor

SirTinLee,

It really is not actually 21 days for every hold. It CAN be, but the 21 days is the maximum amount of time for the hold. If you ship the next day and use Priority mail, then that is 2-5 days (usually 2-3). Then they give the customer 3 days to submit a dispute if the item is not what they ordered (since there have over the years been sellers who shipped junk when they sold a high priced item..but they already had the money). Then all one more day, according to the Paypal moderator here, and that comes to 6 days. Of course, then you have to transfer to your checking which is 3-4 business days. That is 10 business days. So, they have added the shipping time and the 3 days, not 21 days. When there is a high volume or drastic change whether your sales go down or up, that is a red flag, and that is when the 21 days might come in force.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.