Paypal wants me to send the product back and receive a partial refund. What should I do? Refunds

Yack55
Contributor
Contributor

I paid 308€ for a graphics card including shipment. I received the card not as described and filed an issue with Paypal. I wanted to keep the card but get a partial refund so I could get the card fixed. Now Paypal wants me to send the card back but still only get the partial refund? I dont know what I need to do, to get either all of my money back or atleast keep the card and get a partial refund.

I also dont know how I can contact a support person and not just an unhelpful and time wasting bot.

Pls help

Country of seller and buyer: Germany

Platform of purchase: kleinanzeigen

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Yack55 

The dispute phase of the process is for you to negotiate part refunds or returns with the merchant.

If you can't resolve things then once you escalate to a claim paypal get involved. The ONLY option paypal gives you is to return what you have received back to the merchant (normally with tracking to prove delivery) for a full refund. However if you win the claim and return the item paypal will get you the refund you asked for when you opened the dispute.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Yack55
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah I understand all of this. But there was never a point in the process were I could change the amount I wanted? Just at the start. But my goal wasnt to get all of my money back and lose the card. I wanted to keep the card and get a partial refund but now I cant change the amount and I am still supposed to send the card back? So I would loose money 150€ + Shipping just so I can get 158€ back? Why should I do that

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Yack55 

You should have entered an amount for a full refund and then informed the seller you were happy to negotiate any part refund.

Then they could have offered a part refund which you would then ''accept'' to close the dispute before it was escalated to a claim.

As you escalated it paypal were happy to get you back the amount you stated you wanted on return of the item as per their policy...

Paypal state this >>
IMPORTANT: You may be required to return the item to the seller or other party we specify as part of the settlement of your claim. PayPal Buyer Protection does not entitle you to reimbursement for the return shipping costs that you may incur.

You also have the option to do a chargeback via your card issuer instead of a Paypal dispute if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Yack55
Contributor
Contributor

Ok I didnt know that. What is there I can do now? The seller isnt willing to do anything, I know that for sure

Login to Me Too

Yack55
Contributor
Contributor

What I also dont understand is, it says "may" so I just thought this only applied for full refunds or certain circumstances. What I also dont understand is why it doesnt just state what you wrote earlier, would be way easier to understand

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.